Author Topic: How often...  (Read 14744 times)

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
How often...
« on: May 22, 2011, 04:54:57 AM »
do you ride without your sidebags on?  Just curious, they are great to have but sure make if rough getting on and off the bike...

Offline jjsC6

Re: How often...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:35:27 AM »
do you ride without your sidebags on?  Just curious, they are great to have but sure make if rough getting on and off the bike...

I ride with mine on once a year when I take a one-week trip.  They are never on the bike if I'm not on a trip.

Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:48:20 AM »
Mine are always on. Once in a while I'll ride without the trunk. I use my bike for commuting to work. So I always need the storage to hold tools and lunch.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Irish-14

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 05:55:53 AM »
After riding my cbr1k for an extended period of time, I'm in love with my side bags. I'm a married father of two, 42 years old, and my days of being "cool" are over. I must say, there is something awesome about the sidebags...other people underestimate you as a touring bike, then you blast right bye!!! Love being under the radar, that's why I kept the potato launcher. Go Irish!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 06:08:51 AM »
After riding my cbr1k for an extended period of time, I'm in love with my side bags. I'm a married father of two, 42 years old, and my days of being "cool" are over. I must say, there is something awesome about the sidebags...other people underestimate you as a touring bike, then you blast right bye!!! Love being under the radar, that's why I kept the potato launcher.

+1

I haven't had mine long, but I don't plan to ever ride with the bags off.  It is already enough effort to get all the riding gear on, cover off, hook up helmet audio, etc.  I love having storage always available, and I can store stuff I MIGHT need in one of them- liner, different gloves, alternate shield, etc.  I don't care about being "cool", plus I don't see anything really "cool" about making things more inconvenient for myself.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 06:15:19 AM »
Quothe the Raven..."Never".
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 06:42:25 AM »
I'm not talking "COOL FACTOR", I'm talking about getting on and off the bike without scuffing...guess it's just gonna take a bit to get used to.

Offline jumby

• Once you go black,,, you never go back!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 06:44:10 AM »
+1

Mine are always on. Once in a while I'll ride without the trunk. I use my bike for commuting to work. So I always need the storage to hold tools and lunch.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 06:45:46 AM »
Mine are always on.  I routinely carry too much stuff to not have them.  Tools, groceries, weapons, ammo, small humans, you get the point.  :)
T.S.R.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 06:49:43 AM »
I commute daily on my bike with no saddlebags.  They hang in the garage until I take a trip.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 06:52:59 AM »
I always have my bags on. I carry my tire repair kit and compressor in there. I'm not taking a chance on getting a flat out in the middle of BFE without being able to get the bike home on mine own. BTDT.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 07:25:02 AM »
Spend the $60 on the protective kit from the kneeslider.  I finally replaced mine with the free one they sent when the first kit came without a piece.  3+ years and its still looking great!

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 07:41:21 AM »
I'm not talking "COOL FACTOR", I'm talking about getting on and off the bike without scuffing...guess it's just gonna take a bit to get used to.
I lift my right leg up and over the seat at the driver point, I don't swing it over the rear or the bags, I get off the bike the same way, When I first got the bike I had the bags on all the time, ow I oly ride with them on when I need to carry something. I do have a tail bag that hoolds a lot, like tire repair kit and small compressor, water, ETC.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Makz58

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 07:46:47 AM »
Bags always on except when cleaning the bike. I carry tire repir kit, rain suit and work related stuff on a normal day. Now trunk on and off as required.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline Restless

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 07:50:18 AM »
Mine are on 99% if the time and I don't have any problem swinging my leg over.  I enjoy the storage and transportablity factor they provide since I always find my self having to haul something or pick up some take-out on the way home from work.  Only scuffed the top of the right bag once when I first got her and that was only due to not having the mount down just right...the scuff buffed right off and there have been no problems since.   :)
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 07:50:37 AM »

I always leave the bags on, mounting and dismounting without kicking them is a learned habit.  I made patterns using shelf paper and sent them to Tech Spec, they cut me out a set of fusion saddlebag protectors from my pattern.  If I had it to do over again, I would alter the patterns a little, but they have done a great job of protecting the bags.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
I take them off to clean the bike. Otherwise on 90%+ of the time.

If I had a med size top box and rode solo, would have them off 90% of the time, as would hold the helmet and stuff.

(I eat out often and need a spot for the doggie bag / box, also wife hates to carry her stuff .. so into the case it goes)
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline Shoe

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 08:08:40 AM »
Never.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline XHarleyRider

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 08:17:41 AM »
Recently, I took them off to clean the bike and left them off for a little while for a change of pace. I like the look of the bike both with the bags on and off.   I always run the bags at night because I have reflective tape (the kind that looks black during the day).  In my opinion the bags also give the bike more of a presence on the road....maybe makes the bike more visible.  I think the bags also separate me from the full out sport bike guys that are burning up the interstate at night in the summer.... That's not my thing.   Winter time I always run the bags because that is where I keep any zip out or heated liners that I'm not wearing but might want to have on hand.

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »
I never take them off, i ride every day to work and take my lunch with me, also i leave home at 5:30 in the morning when still dark and i have reflective decals on them
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain