Author Topic: A KiPass disaster.... well, almost  (Read 11081 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
A KiPass disaster.... well, almost
« on: May 23, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »
So while at a COG function in PA recently, I was carrying on with my due diligence to prove KiPass virtually indestructible by exposing it (not that way Bob) to greater concentrations of alcohol. As those of you following the experiments will have noted, we started off by soaking a fob in water (no effect), soda (the fob actually worked correctly while totally submerged in a glass of soda) and then beer (it worked during and after resting in a glass of beer too). So last Saturday it was time to try wine; I put my fob in a glass full of the finest Riesling that the hotel had to offer.... well, at least the finest Riesling that the hotel had with a screw on cap. I had to pay a little extra to have the glass topped off beyond the top of the fob but where KiPass is concerned, nothing is too good.

After an hour or two of soaking my fob and showing it to Cap'n Bob, we retired to the hotel parking lot with the wine glass with the wine and fob still inside. I walked up to the bike and.... nothing! Yep, a KiPass failure! Apparently either the wine or Cap'n Bob's bad odor aura finally got to the fob. After removing it from the wine I shook off the excess and.... viola!.... it still didn't work. Yep, the fob was sleeping with the fishes. So of course I went into a panic and banged on the final drive with a rock to unstick the caliper, changed the battery in the bike and all light bulbs in the hotel and generally ran around and screamed a lot. Really I just removed the key from the fob and tried the fob against the fob boss on the ignition switch housing and KiPass worked fine. So it was working in RFID mode but not RF mode. After opening the fob and draining the wine out of it and drying the inside, I tried it in RF mode again and it worked.... sorta'. It would work but it took a long time for the bike to recognize the fob and  it was working intermittently, perhaps two times out of three. So I got the other fob from my wife, tried it in RF mode and it worked perfectly. Then I swapped batteries between the fobs and my original (wine soaked) fob also worked perfectly- it was just a drained battery from sitting in a puddle of wine.

The moral of the story of course is that excess w(h)ine(ing) can affect KiPass but only temporarily. Remove the w(h)ine, change the battery and all will be well.

Now to check that fob's seal and off to the whiskey testing in August.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Re: A KiPass disaster.... well, almost
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:12:51 PM »
OK...now I'm convinced...the car tire thread wasn't the end!
'02 C-10

Offline koval68

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:59:08 PM »
So while at a COG function in PA recently, I was carrying on with my due diligence to prove KiPass virtually indestructible
torture Cap'n Bob.
Brian
I fixed that for you...... ;D

Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:08:25 PM »
Yeah, that is true enough. But much like dentists in that commercial, 4 out of five people surveyed preferred the torture continues....

Besides, if Cap’n Bob really doesn’t like KiPass, why is he wearing the same wrist- band that says “I love KiPass” that the rest of us are wearing in that photo?

;D

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:21:37 PM »
You guys and your kipass........

:stirpot:

Offline koval68

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 07:49:25 PM »
You guys and your kipass........

:stirpot:
If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.  ~Mahatma Gandhi
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline R Nelson

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:03:20 PM »
You guys have too much fun together.
My Current Rides:
2008 Kawasaki Concours
1999 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
2006 Ford F150 SCAB, 5.4L

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
So while at a COG function in PA recently, I was carrying on with my due diligence to prove KiPass virtually indestructible by exposing it (not that way Bob) to greater concentrations of alcohol. As those of you following the experiments will have noted, we started off by soaking a fob in water (no effect), soda (the fob actually worked correctly while totally submerged in a glass of soda) and then beer (it worked during and after resting in a glass of beer too). So last Saturday it was time to try wine; I put my fob in a glass full of the finest Riesling that the hotel had to offer.... well, at least the finest Riesling that the hotel had with a screw on cap. I had to pay a little extra to have the glass topped off beyond the top of the fob but where KiPass is concerned, nothing is too good.

After an hour or two of soaking my fob and showing it to Cap'n Bob, we retired to the hotel parking lot with the wine glass with the wine and fob still inside. I walked up to the bike and.... nothing! Yep, a KiPass failure! Apparently either the wine or Cap'n Bob's bad odor aura finally got to the fob. After removing it from the wine I shook off the excess and.... viola!.... it still didn't work. Yep, the fob was sleeping with the fishes. So of course I went into a panic and banged on the final drive with a rock to unstick the caliper, changed the battery in the bike and all light bulbs in the hotel and generally ran around and screamed a lot. Really I just removed the key from the fob and tried the fob against the fob boss on the ignition switch housing and KiPass worked fine. So it was working in RFID mode but not RF mode. After opening the fob and draining the wine out of it and drying the inside, I tried it in RF mode again and it worked.... sorta'. It would work but it took a long time for the bike to recognize the fob and  it was working intermittently, perhaps two times out of three. So I got the other fob from my wife, tried it in RF mode and it worked perfectly. Then I swapped batteries between the fobs and my original (wine soaked) fob also worked perfectly- it was just a drained battery from sitting in a puddle of wine.

The moral of the story of course is that excess w(h)ine(ing) can affect KiPass but only temporarily. Remove the w(h)ine, change the battery and all will be well.
Now to check that fob's seal and off to the whiskey testing in August.

Brian

hey i can't wait to meet you guys sometime
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »
You know, if you soaked Kipass in Marvel Mystery Oil it would reprogram the ECU and the Connie would put out 200 HP.........

Offline koval68

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 08:11:25 PM »
You guys have too much fun together.
Not enough..... ;)
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 08:26:30 PM »
look what KiPass in this glass, did. 1st it turned invisable...then it consumed the alcohol....

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »

A guy drinking white wine??

I'll stick to my beer, and the occasional red wine...  8)

;)   j/k Brian, looks like an awesome time bonding with brothers!!  :thumbs:

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »

He neglected to mentioned it was his SO's wine... in true COG fashion, she drank it after the fob was extracted.
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline Restless

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 06:10:30 AM »

hey i can't wait to meet you guys sometime

+1 on meeting partying with you guys some time...that's just awesome experimenting!

So alchohol diminishes the reflexes of Kipass as well...there you have it.  Everthing has its tollerance.  :chugbeer:
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 06:11:01 AM »
Amen to that. Of course I don't know if some of us old guys could take meeting up say once a week. Too much fun can probably be lethal too although I'd certainly give it a try.

Fun is where you find it.... and I find it everywhere.

Brian

Not enough..... ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 06:13:57 AM »
That is true- I thought I was going to drink it but she wanted it. Andrea got kinda' wound up at dinner but then again at our table we could have wound up a corpse I think.  :)

Brian

He neglected to mentioned it was his SO's wine... in true COG fashion, she drank it after the fob was extracted.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 06:22:36 AM »
Yep, I drink white wine. I cannot drink red wine; before I am all the way through a small glass, I am on all fours. It doesn't like me and I don't like it so we avoid each other. Also scotch, occasionally bourbon and sometimes a dark beer or ale. Light Pilsner beers just don't do it for me, they taste sharp and bitter to me.

It was a GREAT time. That is a great group of people but we already knew that from right here. The one person everyone missed was Haroldo, the ledged himself. Had Haroldo been there I would have offered him my bike to work on just for the 'watching' value.

As I said before, it should be a great time in Vermont too. Not everyone from Wellsboro will make it unfortunately but Vermont has fire and who doesn't like fire?  ;D

Brian

I'll stick to my beer, and the occasional red wine...  8)

;)   j/k Brian, looks like an awesome time bonding with brothers!!  :thumbs:

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 07:23:47 AM »

Any chance of putting names with these faces? TIA!
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline koval68

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 07:40:56 AM »
Any chance of putting names with these faces? TIA!
I did just that in this thread:
http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=920.0
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 07:48:10 AM »
I did just that in this thread:
http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=920.0

Awesome! Thanks! Looks like a fun group...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George