Author Topic: TPS Warranty Question  (Read 3966 times)

Offline jaclaw

TPS Warranty Question
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:09:26 PM »
I’m getting this warning flashing several times a day but it clears after a while, today mid 70’s,  is this the defect that warranty should cover, or normal battery shelf life? New to me '08 with @ 4440 miles.

Bob

Re: TPS Warranty Question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:10:48 PM »
It's a warranty item, if your 08 still has a warranty in effect!

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:23:03 PM »
It is.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »
This is a fairly common problem with C-14s. After a while (it seems like a couple of years) the tire pressure sensors put out a 'low battery' warning when they are on the cool side, say below 60F or so. The batteries are supposed to last approx. five years so it is still on the early side to be having batteries fail as the earliest '08's were bought in the summer of '07, and a lot of them later than that.

Kawasaki had been covering them under warranty without any problem but it seems that some people have recently been told it is normal for that warning and it would not be covered. ?? Mine were replaced under warranty but that was a year ago so policy might have changed.

You can clear the warning (or warnings if it is both wheels) by pressing and holding the top button, pressing and releasing the bottom button and then releasing the top button. The warning LCD will clear and the red warning LED in the top / left of the dash will illuminate.

Brian

I’m getting this warning flashing several times a day but it clears after a while, today mid 70’s,  is this the defect that warranty should cover, or normal battery shelf life? New to me '08 with @ 4440 miles.

<snipped photos>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline GMan

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:42:46 PM »
I know some have had problems lately, but if Kawasaki's changed their policy, it's happened since March.  My dealer replaced them on my 09 without hesitation; even got new tires mounted for free out of the deal.

Offline robbie

• Tampabay, FL
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 05:28:48 AM »
My rear was replaced under warranty, no question at all.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2003 Goldwing, 2002 Goldwing, 2015 F-150, 2018 JK Wrangler, 2002 TJ Wrangler

Offline bdhszy1

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:48:35 AM »
 I tend to keep bikes longer than most, my last was a 1993 that finally died last fall with 155K on it. I bought a used 08 concours and have had the TPS changed on both wheels already. I will have this bike long after the warrantee has run out and I will not spend the money to change the sensors. Fifty years ago I learned how to use a gauge and I still know how. Is there any way to perminently turn off this feature?

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 05:56:43 AM »
Local dealer has one on order under warranty.  I think it is safe to assume that most of us on this forum have learned how to use a guage, but if I've paid for the bells and whistles I want them to work.

Offline Toaster

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 12:40:17 PM »
I had my rear TPS replaced on my 09 this weekend under warranty. The dealer had no problem getting one, or he had it in stock.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 01:09:16 PM »
How long do we expect the batteries to last?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »
I don't know how long we expect them to last but Kawi says about 5 years in the owner's manual.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 05:13:04 PM »
Hold KiPass next to your wheels and issues will disappear  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »

that almost looks like something else...just sayn'
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Bob

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 02:30:13 AM »

that almost looks like something else...just sayn'

:D 

Yeah, it's telling you your screwed, but not in a nice way!  :rotflmao:

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 07:01:44 AM »
Hold KiPass next to your wheels and issues will disappear  ;D