Author Topic: Ignition key not turning  (Read 745 times)

Offline Tavi

Ignition key not turning
« on: August 20, 2020, 05:05:32 PM »
2008 Concours. Motorcycle battery ok, fob battery ok.
When I push down the key it doesn't disengage the lock nor lights up the screen.
After some research online, mostly this forum and youtube, I was lucky enough to fix it with a screwdriver and lot of electric contact cleaner.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. Kind of complicated to name everyone.
The process:
Tap, tap didn't work.
Punching the key (instead of hammering, it seems too much). It worked! That made me think it's that switch, I think some guy was talking on youtube.
Not having the tools to open the ignition actually saved some work, hopefully.
So, I sprayed a lot of contact cleaner into ignition and that ring around it that goes down when you push the key. Use the spare key to see better. Than I pushed away the rubber ring and with a screwdriver I wiggle a bit under the left side pin, the longer one out of four. I presume the magic switch, the G spot is right there: it lighted up the screen! Actually I think I push it down with the screwdriver. Maybe a god trick if you're stranded somewhere.  Put back the rubber and done, hopefully for another 12 years. Unfortunately I cracked the rubber in the process.
I just wanted to add: all this started after I rode in a big downpour plus pressure wash after I got home.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Ignition key not turning
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 02:48:03 AM »
Might want to move this to the C14 section :-)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 06:03:22 AM »
Your wish is my command...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 02:58:50 PM »
When I push down the key it doesn't disengage the lock nor lights up the screen. Punching the key (instead of hammering, it seems too much). It worked!

You have discovered the "K-rock."  A very well-known/documented issue with the C14.  If you press the knob and there is no response from the dash (and the bike is otherwise OK), and pounding on the knob wakes it up, the microswitch is sticking.  It is especially problematic in Gen 1 before they changed to a stronger spring in Gen2.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17864
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6976.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21797.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22804
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23876.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20378

among many
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 03:16:28 PM »
While you are correct in that Kawasaki is using a stronger springs on the Gen. 2 bikes, the change did not happen in 2010 when the Gen. 2 was introduced. The information is a bit spotty because, well, it is a secret  ::)  but it was quite a bit later than 2010 for the heavier spring. And for dessert, that is not the cure either although it did seem to reduce the instances of the stuck activation switch....

Brian

You have discovered the "K-rock."  A very well-known/documented issue with the C14.  If you press the knob and there is no response from the dash (and the bike is otherwise OK), and pounding on the knob wakes it up, the microswitch is sticking.  It is especially problematic in Gen 1 before they changed to a stronger spring in Gen2.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 04:11:38 PM »
the change did not happen in 2010 when the Gen. 2 was introduced. The information is a bit spotty because, well, it is a secret  ::) 

Didn't we determine it was likely 2011 models? Maybe?

And for dessert, that is not the cure either although it did seem to reduce the instances of the stuck activation switch....

Yep, just a hopeful "patch", we continue to be stuck with the problem of a possible stuck switch on all models were are stuck with.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 05:53:21 PM »
Going by my memory here which is not improving with time but I <think> it was during the '12 model year run.

Yep, a stronger, better band aid but still patch nevertheless. To actually correct the design, the the activation switch would have to be mechanically linked to the stove knob ass'y so that when (not if) it sticks, as much force as needed could be applied to open the switch. And it does not take a great deal of force either but sometimes more than a 'ballpoint pen' sized spring can provide. All of that said, it sure does seem unlikely that anything will ever be done with the design as 2020 will be the last year of the bike anyway.

Brian

Didn't we determine it was likely 2011 models? Maybe?

Yep, just a hopeful "patch", we continue to be stuck with the problem of a possible stuck switch on all models were are stuck with.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com