Author Topic: Is the C14 too big for me?  (Read 6973 times)

Offline BrianK

Is the C14 too big for me?
« on: April 22, 2016, 06:41:05 AM »
Hi everyone! I am picking up a 09 tomorrow and my wife is getting cold feet at the last minute here. Her concerns... too big and heavy for us. I've owned a ZX14 and I've owned a valkerie along with a bunch of other smaller bikes. We want something sporty and agile enough for quick local rides but also since we're getting older we would like to do some longer touring type rides. I am 5' 7" and when I sat on the C14 I didn't notice anything much different about the height or weight that gave me pause. The concerns came to her days afterwards and the bike is 3 hrs away so I can't just run over to look it over again. She says we didn't notice because we were too excited at the time and she thinks we should look at a FJR. Any input would be appreciated!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Is the C14 too big for me?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 06:54:00 AM »
There's not a heck of a lot of difference in their weights.  If the C14 has tires other than the Bridgestones you should be fine.   You really need to ride both of them first to see....with your wife.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 06:57:05 AM »
Lowering a C14 is very affordable. Otherwise, weight shouldn't be an issue.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline BrianK

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
There's not a heck of a lot of difference in their weights.  If the C14 has tires other than the Bridgestones you should be fine.   You really need to ride both of them first to see....with your wife.
I wish that were an option but not many private sellers are willing to let me do more than a quick ride around the block after I show them that I indeed have cash on hand.

Offline BrianK

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 07:14:06 AM »
Lowering a C14 is very affordable. Otherwise, weight shouldn't be an issue.
The bike were looking at has the Muzzy exhaust are you happy with yours?

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 07:35:16 AM »
I couldn't be happier with much of anything on this bike.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 07:42:47 AM »
I think the FJR quite ugly..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 08:17:16 AM »
I've also owned a Valkyrie. The C14 will feel heavier getting it off the side stand only due to the fact that the seat on the Valk is much lower. But once the bike is moving, the C14 feels lighter and much more nimble then the Valk. As to the FJR, my son owns a 2013 and it doesn't feel that much different then the C14. Either bike I think would fit the bill for sporty yet good for long distance touring.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 08:40:58 AM »
Hi everyone! I am picking up a 09 tomorrow and my wife is getting cold feet at the last minute here. Her concerns... too big and heavy for us. I've owned a ZX14 and I've owned a valkerie along with a bunch of other smaller bikes. We want something sporty and agile enough for quick local rides but also since we're getting older we would like to do some longer touring type rides. I am 5' 7" and when I sat on the C14 I didn't notice anything much different about the height or weight that gave me pause. The concerns came to her days afterwards and the bike is 3 hrs away so I can't just run over to look it over again. She says we didn't notice because we were too excited at the time and she thinks we should look at a FJR. Any input would be appreciated!

I'm 5'5" and I get along just fine on this bike, with our without my wife on the back. Stops get a bit 'interesting' at times when my wife is on the back so I try to limit those.   :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline BrianK

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 09:02:33 AM »
I'm 5'5" and I get along just fine on this bike, with our without my wife on the back. Stops get a bit 'interesting' at times when my wife is on the back so I try to limit those.   :)
excellent! Do you find pushing it around like to do a k turn in a driveway, standing along side it not sitting on it, overly cumbersome?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 02:16:09 PM »
I'm 5' 6½"  32" inseam (that's the jean size anyway 32X32) and my bike is not lowered. Yes it can be a pain at times but it's worth it IMO. Yes I do wish it was shorter and lighter in the driveway but I never think that on the road. You will watch where you stop and park much more carefully than you used to, and you'll always be aware of slope and hill at signal lights, stop signs, and parking slots. I purchased a Park-n-Move dolly for my garage to avoid the K turn on my inclined driveway. I recommend Murph's Top-Block sliders or the MCE Canyon cages for tip over protection. I won't say how many times I've dropped mine  :-[ , but half of the times I wasn't even on it (It was SUPPOSED to be in first gear, but it wasn't  ::) ) so leg length wasn't a factor (brain function was). It's also slightly easier to pick up when it's resting on it's tip over protection devices than it is when it's resting in it's own crushed plastic pieces...or so I'm told.  ???

I think you'll both be happy, but you might need an Airhawk seat for her.

People I respect love their FJRs so I'm sure it's a very good bike as well and getting better year by year, but I think it's only slightly lighter (-50 lbs?).

Best wishes, let us know, preferably with a photo, what you do BrianK.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 03:14:42 PM »
Hi everyone! I am picking up a 09 tomorrow and my wife is getting cold feet at the last minute here. Her concerns... too big and heavy for us. I've owned a ZX14 and I've owned a valkerie along with a bunch of other smaller bikes. We want something sporty and agile ....

No.  You've answered your question already.

Don't psyche yourself out with second guesses now, do it.   You won't regret it. 

and welcome to the forum   :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 06:38:53 AM »

excellent! Do you find pushing it around like to do a k turn in a driveway, standing along side it not sitting on it, overly cumbersome?

I do wish I could maneuver the bike around while sitting on it but I've adjusted. It is a bit cumbersome at times though. I always push the bike around from the right side of the bike. That way if 'something' happens while I'm pushing it around I have the side stand on one side with me on the other, she ain't going over. I HIGHLY recommend the MCE canyon cages. My bike has only fallen over once, in the garage. That was before I installed the canyon cages. The surest way to never drop your bike is to install drop protection.   :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gscott

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 07:31:17 AM »
 My wife is more than happy to help push bike when I screw up and park facing downhill or to help put on center stand.
 Guess I got lucky.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 02:03:26 PM »

My bike has only fallen over once...

Braggart.  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 06:20:38 PM »
Me too.  Once was enough.  Then I got the shelves...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 06:25:06 PM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 06:25:50 PM »
RESPECT THE SHELVES!

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 06:54:29 PM »
If it weren't for shelves, you'd have no place to put your farkles.  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 08:11:02 PM »
True.