Author Topic: Cant get key to turn  (Read 33335 times)

Offline Kurt

Re: Cant get key to turn
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 05:50:28 PM »
I'm just now realizing, aren't you the same one that bought both the new C14 and the R1200RT just like a month ago? And then never posted any pics of either even after many said they didn't believe you??

Forgive me if I'm wrong or have you confused with someone else and I'll gladly remove my post, apologize, and eat crow, but this is starting to sound a little fishy to me for some reason...  :-\

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=5675.msg67716#msg67716

Anyone else think we're maybe getting played here with this thread?  :-\

Thanks for this post.
Please, if you have nothing helpful to contribute, then please contribute nothing. Anyone having something helpful for me to hopefully get out of this predicament, please feel free to post.

Thanks,

Kurt

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »
Gents, if you have nothing useful to post then post nothing at all... Need I say more?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »
I thought I worded that very PC and even admitted that if I was wrong I apologize in advance TC...

But ok.  :-X

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 06:47:57 PM »
I thought I worded that very PC and even admitted that if I was wrong I apologize in advance TC...

But ok.  :-X

Matters not how PC you worded your accusations as all this person has asked for is help.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 06:54:57 PM »
I thought it was a valid question considering his last thread and the fact that this is without a doubt the most spirited issue to start a riot..........hopefully he is a genuine member but I grew skeptical after the disappearing act.  So who knows where the connector is to reset the switch?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 07:11:14 PM »
You may have the 'stuck KiPass activation switch' problem. If  there is voltage at the battery (or anywhere else on the bike) and absolutely nothing happens when you press the key down, the switch might be stuck.

Take off the top / left side fairing cover- the black one just under the left handlebar. Under that cover is a wiring harness inside a rubber boot- find the dark gray, eight- pin connector inside that boot and disconnect it. Reconnect it and if the dash lights up, you have a stuck activation switch. If there is a valid fob within range, and the dash lights when you reconnect that connector, turn the key to 'on' as soon as you plug it back in- you will only have something like 5 seconds or so. Then start the bike normally. You will have to break that connector and reconnect it each time you want to start the bike until you have the ignition switch assembly fixed at a Kawasaki dealer but that work- around WILL work to get the bike running as long as your problem is a stuck activation switch.

Best of luck and let us know how that works out. If you still have a problem post up again and I am sure someone will help you out. I will check back in later tonight and see if you posted anything else.

Brian

No luck. I tried the dead battery in fob suggestions with no results. Anyhow, this bike is a 2011 and just a few months old. I couldn't imagine the fob battery being out.

Today I tracked down a voltmeter and the battery voltage measured 12.6 volts. So seems that the battery is ok.

I am trying to figure out towing options. Nearest dealer is probably 350-400 miles away in San Diego. I dont think theres a dealer in Ensenada.

What a pain in the butt. Any other suggestions before I spend a few thousand on towing (!)?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 07:51:49 PM »
Thanks for the refresher training Brian.  I needed that.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »
Looks like your closest dealer is in Tijuana:
Velomoto
Via Rápida Ote. , # 11944
Mineral Santa Fe
TIJUANA, Baja California Norte
              (664)900-7276

Which dealer did the transmission repair?  Was it the same dealer that you bought the bike from?  Maybe they could contact Velomoto as see if they could help you out with the towing.  Have you contacted Kawasaki customer service?  They might be able to help you, either to work through the problem or to help arrange or pay for towing.  FWIW, the C14 is not sold in Mexico, so the service department in Tijuana will likely be unfamiliar with the problem.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Supatramp

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 09:33:21 PM »
I have the fob in my pocket and when i press down nothing happens. And i cant turn the key thing to the right. The red light flashes.
What's going on and how can i start It?
No luck. I tried the dead battery in fob suggestions with no results. Anyhow, this bike is a 2011 and just a few months old. I couldn't imagine the fob battery being out.
Today I tracked down a voltmeter and the battery voltage measured 12.6 volts. So seems that the battery is ok.
I am trying to figure out towing options. Nearest dealer is probably 350-400 miles away in San Diego. I dont think theres a dealer in Ensenada.
What a pain in the butt. Any other suggestions before I spend a few thousand on towing (!)?
I had this happen to me 1700 miles from home, while in Sturgis, last Sept.
The only thing that sounds different, is I don't remember the red light flashing. I had no voltage meter with me to check voltage, but even if it reads 12+ volts, that's with no load, under load it might drop below usable voltage, if it's a voltage problem.
I managed to get my bike started after what I believe was 30,000 depressions of the stove pipe, over a three hour period.
I tried tapping the switch housing, but that didn't seem to work, or I wasn't making contact with the sweet spot that frees up the momentary switch.
After getting home and having my unit, duplicate my Sturgis experience, I believe I found a better way of tapping or beating on the housing. It seemed if I turned the handlebars to the left, a larger void between the fairing and switch, for tapping the housing was created. My unit seemed to respond immediately to banging, by striking under the KiPass tit and to the left(between where the "on and off" graphics are displayed.)
There's a solenoid on the right side of the housing. That's what is preventing you from being able to turn the switch. There's a finger on it, that engages into one of three slots, until power to the solenoid lifts the finger. That won't happen if KiPass isn't working.
The solenoid side of the housing.

The best suggestion I can offer, if you feel KiPass is the culprit, keep tapping the housing, as I described, and also keep depressing the stove pipe key, up & down and hopefully the switch will free up, and the dash will come to life.
I would try my possible solution and if it fails, then Brians. Spending mega dollars for a international tow would really suck.
Brian hooked me up with a great Rhode Island dealer, who did the heavier spring upgrade, and I haven't had an occurrence since then.
Feel free to give me a call, but I don't know, if I could be of further help, seven three two, 492, four, nine, three, one, Gary

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »
Did you try the "K-rock" trick yet?

I would be shocked if that worked on a 2011.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 09:41:19 PM »
On the image I posted showing how the FOB works, it mentions above that about possibilites of intereference from other radio sources (seeing as your batter checks out).  Try moving the bike and see if that helps.

It is very unlikely anything will interfere with using the passive RFID.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »
It is very unlikely anything will interfere with using the passive RFID.

Hmmm, good point.
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline Kurt

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 11:54:24 PM »
You may have the 'stuck KiPass activation switch' problem. If  there is voltage at the battery (or anywhere else on the bike) and absolutely nothing happens when you press the key down, the switch might be stuck.

Take off the top / left side fairing cover- the black one just under the left handlebar. Under that cover is a wiring harness inside a rubber boot- find the dark gray, eight- pin connector inside that boot and disconnect it. Reconnect it and if the dash lights up, you have a stuck activation switch. If there is a valid fob within range, and the dash lights when you reconnect that connector, turn the key to 'on' as soon as you plug it back in- you will only have something like 5 seconds or so. Then start the bike normally. You will have to break that connector and reconnect it each time you want to start the bike until you have the ignition switch assembly fixed at a Kawasaki dealer but that work- around WILL work to get the bike running as long as your problem is a stuck activation switch.

Best of luck and let us know how that works out. If you still have a problem post up again and I am sure someone will help you out. I will check back in later tonight and see if you posted anything else.

Brian

Brian -- You NAILED it!!! I was able to get the motorcycle running this evening using the steps that you outlined. Tomorrow I will ride to the dealer in San Diego and get the motorcycle fixed. Yes, I will have to cancel the rest of my ride, but at least I get to ride my motorcycle to be fixed rather than have it towed!!

To the doubters: My offer stands. Anytime anyone would like to come by my house for dinner, coffee, or tire kicking, or if anyone needs a place to stay while riding, please get in touch.

Again Brian, thank you!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 12:15:40 PM »
Wow.   That was a great idea.   I am surprised nobody else suggested that.   :o

Offline jjnorc

• 2009 C14 Non-ABS. Red.
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »
Brian hooked me up with a great Rhode Island dealer, who did the heavier spring upgrade, and I haven't had an occurrence since then.

I'm very interested in how the switch upgrade is done.

Does anyone know or has anyone done the upgrade?
I have an 09 and have never had a problem but I'd like to be practive.
Because turning doesn't suck.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 03:37:38 PM »
Seriously Kurt, do not cancel the rest of your ride. Keep going. I doubt it will fail again and you have proven you know how to get around it. Don't let KiPass win and shorten your ride.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 03:40:16 PM »

From what we've seen, us mere mortals aren't allowed to possess these special unobtainium springs.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 03:43:37 PM »
Thanks for this Brian, saved to Evernote so I can access it anywhere.
If you guys are Android users, or maybe even iPhone users, Evernote is pretty handy.
No affiliation.

Brian
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »

'practive'?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 03:50:04 PM »
'practive'?

That's like proactive but not.  ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn