Author Topic: What do the rules say about this?  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Conrad

What do the rules say about this?
« on: November 25, 2019, 06:17:16 AM »
My lovely wife and I were having a few cocktails and playing darts last night, 901 was the game.

This was my throw. (click to zoom)

How does that get scored?   :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:07:26 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: What do the rules say about this?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 06:55:13 AM »
Clearly a "Double-in"   ;D ..... OK I looked at the rules, but they looked Greek to me, as does your shot.  :P

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 07:07:05 AM »
Clearly a "Double-in"   ;D ..... OK I looked at the rules, but they looked Greek to me, as does your shot.  :P

:rotflmao:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 07:08:53 AM »
Dart stuck in another dart counts as a throw, but scores no points. So, Nul Points!  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 07:14:38 AM »
Dart stuck in another dart counts as a throw, but scores no points. So, Nul Points!  ;D

That's what I thought but the electronic board scored it as another 6.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 02:00:10 PM »
People that designed that board designed the new mustang.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 03:46:18 PM »

It's called a Robin Hood.   No points as Boomer stated.   It typically damages the shaft and/or flight.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 05:46:26 PM »
It's called a Robin Hood.   No points as Boomer stated.   It typically damages the shaft and/or flight.

HMMM
euro rules may differ, but in the USA, and as it's a "robbin hood", it counts...(well, it used to.. not so today.. that's efff'd up...) it counts as a "thrown dart", and does not score, and also prevents you from throwing one to replace it..( so be proud, it would hve been really cool if it was in th double bull.. a 4.. not so cool...unless that was your "out number...)
So, Boomer is correct, real bummer, but worth showing... when I was "darting" my pals, and a really close pal, were manufacturing them, in every way and composition dreamed of.. exotic metals, modular shaft and tip constructions, etc.   I had awesome free bies.. I know back in the 70's-80's, we counted them during tournaments.. and they always brought free drinks when it was in the double bull... seams to have been revised at some point, in dart rulings. I've done it myself many times.. when I was a hardcore "darter".. (just an excuse to drink profusely, and toss pointy things at bars, every week, and try to win a trophy.)

Same goes in tournament Archery, which I was very into for many years... in any competition, a "Hood'ed" arrow counted as the same as the arrow it was embedded in...when shooting at a single spot target... only exception is if you were shooting a "5 Spot" target, either in a normal (300 point) competition, or a Vegas(450 point) round, which allows only "one" arrow to score, per each of the 5 target spots...(or a 3 spot Vegas target)  if mistakenly firing another arrow into an already "stuck" bull, both arrows are then nullified... tough tater's sometimes, when you are on a line shooting with 100 people...
I shot arrows everyday, for almost 10 years, and competed at very high levels, had a collection of "robbin hood" arrows numbering close to 100...(so that means 200 destroyed arrows..) that gets expensive, and thus when you are at that level, you shoot 5 spot targets.. each "Hood" ends in the expense of both the arrows, which at the time in the 80's, using top line stuff, ran you about $40 each time you did it.. braggin rights, and the "ooooh ahhh's" were worth it, for a while..
When I had to "compete in a qualifier round" to get into a tournament, I bit the bullet, shot a single spot target, and got in..  but at that point, I realized a "knicked" arrow, displaced out of the bull, would net me a non winning score in a competition, I never shot single spots again... when the $$ was the outcome.
my Dart pals used to come to many of my competitions, private cheering section so to speak, they really loved watching 20 yard shots, with an arrow, to see it hit a spot the same size as the "double bull"..
I'm the "fat" guy, in the middle, white shirt, long hair, with the big beard.... I won that comp, and earned state champ kudo's. IIRC, it was my first "big" win, a perfect 300 round, and I was shooting a single spot target, and did Robbin hood an arrow, which led to many cheers, but I had to ask the officials for a pause, when it occurred, because I could not clearly see from my line position, even thru binoculars (which we all used) it was a "hood", they went down, looked, and gave a thumbs up...

oh, back to Conrads conundrum.. plastic tipped darts, are scored by the machine.... pro darts, do not have plastic tips.. I hate plastic tip darting, I go thru like 6 tips in a night, playing that stupid game..

all of us have nice bristle boards.. and have tips that pierce flesh, and cause bleeding..   not pub fair...

the guy that got me into "darting", and followed my "big darts"(archery) was the fellow that sparked this company into business... they progresed well, with designs by all of us fro the early 80's.. good stuff..

https://voksdarts.com/

about 5 minutes from my house.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :1DeadBanana :1DeadBanana :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:06:09 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 06:02:33 AM »

Yep, it did damage the flight.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 06:12:23 AM »
HMMM
euro rules may differ, but in the USA, and as it's a "robbin hood", it counts...(well, it used to.. not so today.. that's efff'd up...) it counts as a "thrown dart", and does not score, and also prevents you from throwing one to replace it..( so be proud, it would hve been really cool if it was in th double bull.. a 4.. not so cool...unless that was your "out number...)
So, Boomer is correct, real bummer, but worth showing... when I was "darting" my pals, and a really close pal, were manufacturing them, in every way and composition dreamed of.. exotic metals, modular shaft and tip constructions, etc.   I had awesome free bies.. I know back in the 70's-80's, we counted them during tournaments.. and they always brought free drinks when it was in the double bull... seams to have been revised at some point, in dart rulings. I've done it myself many times.. when I was a hardcore "darter".. (just an excuse to drink profusely, and toss pointy things at bars, every week, and try to win a trophy.)

Same goes in tournament Archery, which I was very into for many years... in any competition, a "Hood'ed" arrow counted as the same as the arrow it was embedded in...when shooting at a single spot target... only exception is if you were shooting a "5 Spot" target, either in a normal (300 point) competition, or a Vegas(450 point) round, which allows only "one" arrow to score, per each of the 5 target spots...(or a 3 spot Vegas target)  if mistakenly firing another arrow into an already "stuck" bull, both arrows are then nullified... tough tater's sometimes, when you are on a line shooting with 100 people...
I shot arrows everyday, for almost 10 years, and competed at very high levels, had a collection of "robbin hood" arrows numbering close to 100...(so that means 200 destroyed arrows..) that gets expensive, and thus when you are at that level, you shoot 5 spot targets.. each "Hood" ends in the expense of both the arrows, which at the time in the 80's, using top line stuff, ran you about $40 each time you did it.. braggin rights, and the "ooooh ahhh's" were worth it, for a while..
When I had to "compete in a qualifier round" to get into a tournament, I bit the bullet, shot a single spot target, and got in..  but at that point, I realized a "knicked" arrow, displaced out of the bull, would net me a non winning score in a competition, I never shot single spots again... when the $$ was the outcome.
my Dart pals used to come to many of my competitions, private cheering section so to speak, they really loved watching 20 yard shots, with an arrow, to see it hit a spot the same size as the "double bull"..
I'm the "fat" guy, in the middle, white shirt, long hair, with the big beard.... I won that comp, and earned state champ kudo's. IIRC, it was my first "big" win, a perfect 300 round, and I was shooting a single spot target, and did Robbin hood an arrow, which led to many cheers, but I had to ask the officials for a pause, when it occurred, because I could not clearly see from my line position, even thru binoculars (which we all used) it was a "hood", they went down, looked, and gave a thumbs up...

oh, back to Conrads conundrum.. plastic tipped darts, are scored by the machine.... pro darts, do not have plastic tips.. I hate plastic tip darting, I go thru like 6 tips in a night, playing that stupid game..

all of us have nice bristle boards.. and have tips that pierce flesh, and cause bleeding..   not pub fair...

the guy that got me into "darting", and followed my "big darts"(archery) was the fellow that sparked this company into business... they progresed well, with designs by all of us fro the early 80's.. good stuff..

https://voksdarts.com/

about 5 minutes from my house.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :1DeadBanana :1DeadBanana :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

Not that it matters but it was a 6 not a 4.

House rules - double bull = one shot of liquor

My oldest son and I have a competition going between the two of us. The highest points for three darts. He is currently leading with 171, two triple 20's and a triple 17. During the game with my wife I threw two triple 20's and just missed hitting the third triple 20 by one hole.  :o

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 03:15:58 PM »
sorry... I wasn't looking closely...

surprised tho, that plastic tip dart buried into the flight that way, pretty much every "hood" I had playing jarts was on steel tips, and they wedged into the end of the shaft, where the cross cuts were...
I ended up using "modular" shafts, which I could unscrew the end, and re attach new "flight" tips, and new flights.
We also had small cylindrical "protectors" that were like .090" dia., and they slipped on the rear of the flights, to prevent impaling..
Keep practicing... that's the only way you will see those "ton-80's" happen regularly. I think I've done more of them on plasti-tip machines than actual bristol boards.. can't figure that one out...(well, I can.. the plastic boards have double "wide" spiders, and they are angled inwards to the board, but still it makes the actual "scoring zone" smaller by proxy, and really small when doing bulls/double bulls, which if they hit the spider, they are guided into the board... they don't "hit a wire and bounce out")  I know I had a zillion bounce outs from hitting the wires when playing for Ton-80's... really haven't played for years now, I think the last time I did, I was on a trip (flight on business) and had my darts "confiscated", and they forced me to put them into a box, and they had to be loaded in the cargo bay... crazy stuff, but it was just after 911...  prior to that, I never had an issue with carrying them in my briefcase on business trips...
Now that I don't go to bars, I really don't play. When the bars started going to plastic/machine darts, I hated to play, as you had to "pay to play", which sorta killed the fun for me.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 05:51:20 AM »
"ton-80's"? What's this?

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 06:49:31 AM »

Dart Lingo -

100 = Ton         Three triple twenties = 180 = Ton-80

When you play darts in an organized league they keep track of Tons and ROs (Ar ohs).   

RO = Round Of n   (example: if you throw three triples it's a RO9, two triples and a double = RO8, two triples and a single = RO7...)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 07:01:47 AM »
My brane is hurting again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 07:23:49 AM »
Dart Lingo -

100 = Ton         Three triple twenties = 180 = Ton-80

When you play darts in an organized league they keep track of Tons and ROs (Ar ohs).   

RO = Round Of n   (example: if you throw three triples it's a RO9, two triples and a double = RO8, two triples and a single = RO7...)

Dang, I'd have to stop drinking while playing darts to keep tract of all that! That ain't happenin...

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 04:50:09 PM »

Most organized leagues around here are in the digital age now.  Scoring is easy and done on a tablet attached to the wall next to the board using the app/software. You don't even have to worry about adding or subtracting.   So, you can still concentrate on your drinking game and not let the scoring part get in the way.   
:chugbeer:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 06:09:27 PM »
THAT is why I stopped playing, took too much away from the drinkin and b/s'ing time...

I will add, when you do league jarts... all the players know the 3 dart progression to "go out" when playing "01" games...
once you get down to 170.... everyone knows the "3 dart outs"..... and as you have to "double out", the fun begins at 170...
trip 20, trip 20, double bull... baaaabam...

mind bogglin

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2019, 05:17:26 AM »
At the World Championships it's pronounced
"One Hun-Dred And Eightyyyyyyyyyyy" 😁
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK