Author Topic: MY New GPS mount  (Read 5464 times)

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
MY New GPS mount
« on: April 01, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »
I wanted a large screen, and wanted something to use in the rain and didnt want to spend a fortune. So i pick up a a Garmin 50lm durring walmarts black friday sale for $50.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-nuvi-50LM-5-Portable-GPS-w-Lifetime-Map-Updates/17327931

Then decided to try out the Aqua box waterproof case with clear screen membrane ended up ordering this one because it fit my GPS perfectly.
http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems-RAM-HOL-AQ6U-Medium-Wide/dp/B001RTOSRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396397373&sr=8-1&keywords=aquabox

My bike already had the tecmount on it. Thanks Pokey

And here is what i cam up with.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Re: MY New GPS mount
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:26:01 PM »
Going to run a water proof USB power out let to the tree somewhere and power the GPS off of it so i wont have it plugged into the outlet and wont have to worry about the plug getting wet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Mobile-Waterproof-Splashproof-USB-Power-Supply-Port-Socket-Charger-/321249917060?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acbfcb884&vxp=mtr

Positives:
Very large and bright screen and i can hear the voice to a degree
The touch screen works well through the membrane even with gloves on.
Semi adjustable angle to reduce glare.
Can put a small lock on the box(to keep out honest thieves)

Negatives:
The box is a little thicker than i wanted but if i wanted too i could also fit my phone in behind the gps.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:27:36 PM »
By the time it's all said and done i have about $120 invested not counting the techmount that i already had.

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 06:24:34 AM »
I've got the same aqua box, but never had to use.  Very handy and pretty flexible.  I bought an extra ball mount so I can just swap the normal cradle for this one if need be.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »
Thats almost identical to what i did. Ill have to dig up pix on my puter tomorrow.

Tips: If you have the traffic subscription, use your factory cord and punch the back out (by the bolt area), run the cord through, mout the GPS as you want it, then silocone the back hole shut, pack it FULL, then bolt the box to the mount.

Run the factory plug under the gastank, under the seat back to the accessory port back there. Put a 12V socket on it and plug into that.  Its all out of the way, youll never notice it.

Ill also post a pic of how I have the box locked to by left bar tomorrow so someone doesnt steal my GPS. Works like a charm. 

Also, take a silica pouch (the do not eat thing) from a pair of shoes, and put that inside the box somewhere out of sight.  That will make it so theres no condensation inside with sunlight.   The box is well sealed, so if humidity gets in there, it gets in the way...

Cheers!
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 04:33:15 AM »
how is the aqua box for glare ??

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 07:34:22 AM »
Its fine. It can be hard to read the gps screen in the rain. The GPS screen itself is hard to read in direct sunlight, shade it with your helmet or hand and it works just fine.

I rely heavily on my GPS for work and this setup is about the best you can do for the money

I do recommend getting a cheap beanie to cover the GPS with if you park it in sunlight.
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 08:27:51 AM »
As promised, here's my pictures.
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
I thought about a cable lock but ill just throw a small lock on the box to (like i said) keep out the honest thieves, i'm not going to too much fuss to protect a $50 unit. Plus if someone wanted it that bad they could just tear or cut into the membrane. I like the ram ball mount to make a easy removal but i can also just keep a hex key handy and remove a bolt out of the tech mount. This will get a real good tr during my iron butt trip to South Dakota in June, ill give it some dry runs in the mean time

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 06:47:40 AM »
I thought about a cable lock but ill just throw a small lock on the box to (like i said) keep out the honest thieves, i'm not going to too much fuss to protect a $50 unit. Plus if someone wanted it that bad they could just tear or cut into the membrane. I like the ram ball mount to make a easy removal but i can also just keep a hex key handy and remove a bolt out of the tech mount. This will get a real good tr during my iron butt trip to South Dakota in June, ill give it some dry runs in the mean time

Like I said before, I rely heavily on my GPS for my living, so I don't want it stolen.  It never coms off my bike unless I'm doing a firmware update, or if the wife and I take a trip in her car and I want a GPS that doesn't suck.

The ball mount isn't for easy removal, just a mount I already had from a previous project.

Not saying your way is wrong, just sharing what I did for the masses :).

I do highly recommend a silica packet inside tho...
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline TonyR

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »
Has anyone try waterproofing a GPS with some kind of silicone?

Tony

Offline lablank

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 05:21:36 AM »
I wanted a large screen, and wanted something to use in the rain and didnt want to spend a fortune. So i pick up a a Garmin 50lm durring walmarts black friday sale for $50.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-nuvi-50LM-5-Portable-GPS-w-Lifetime-Map-Updates/17327931

Then decided to try out the Aqua box waterproof case with clear screen membrane ended up ordering this one because it fit my GPS perfectly.
http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems-RAM-HOL-AQ6U-Medium-Wide/dp/B001RTOSRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396397373&sr=8-1&keywords=aquabox

My bike already had the tecmount on it. Thanks Pokey

And here is what i cam up with.

Tim. The aquabox is great because it is waterproof. However the Window became fogged up quickly when it rained. My solution was to insert a small bag of silica inside behind the gps. It helped a bit with the fogging up. Eventually I got tired of that and I bought a zumo 660. Just my 2 cents.

Rene
2012 C14 Candy Arabian Red; 2005 Hayabusa Red/Black
1988 Katana 1100; 1990 Intruder 800; 1979 GS1000E; 1978 GS750E; 1973 CB350

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 09:04:25 AM »
Tim. The aquabox is great because it is waterproof. However the Window became fogged up quickly when it rained. My solution was to insert a small bag of silica inside behind the gps. It helped a bit with the fogging up. Eventually I got tired of that and I bought a zumo 660. Just my 2 cents.

Rene

Good info..Thanks