Author Topic: New Owner Question  (Read 5754 times)

Offline Happytrails

New Owner Question
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:05:31 PM »
I have been looking at purchasing a Concours for some time now and would like to get some feedback from you folks with actual experience with this nice bike.  It seems I can purchase at this time new 2009 and 2011 models with a price difference of roughly $3000.  I have read the mags writeups as to the differences and want to know if the new mods on the 2010-11 are really worth the higher asking prices.  Even the higher of the two prices for the 2011 seems pretty reasonable to me but if the additional dollars aren't really beneficial I could easily find some farkles to spend the money on.
Thanks for any feedback!

Offline MrPepsi

Re: New Owner Question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
If you're ok with the added cost, then the added benefits of the newer model are good additions. If cost is a concern, the 2008-2009 models are very good and can be had a good discount.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »
Do you like or dislike linked brakes? Do you plan on adding farkles, if so which ones?

Offline Happytrails

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 05:12:10 PM »
I have no issues with linked brakes.  Not sure on the farkles for this particular bike yet but I really dislike the looks of the "potatoe launcher" once the bags are removed.  Possibly some alterations in the handlebar height, new seat, same stuff you do to pretty much any bike to get it to fit your riding style and comfort.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »
In my opinion, I would save the cash and go with the 08/09.

Brakes - I chose the C14 in great part because it did not have linked brakes.  Nothing I've heard or seen on the 10/11 C14's has changed my opinion.

Traction control - nice
Display control on handlebar - nice
Mirror position change - nice but fixable on early models
Fairing change - style & heat control - no biggie to me, heat fixable
Larger stock windshield - I use both factory sizes, so no difference to me
ECO mode - nice
Ambient temp gauge - nice, but fixable
Speed limiter - not nice, but no biggie to me

There are probably other considerations, but the brakes and the price would leave me with an early model.  If mama kaw puts real high-performance linked brakes (or un-links the ABS) on a future model, I might consider re-upping.  As is, I have less than 30k on my 2008, and expect to keep it at least to 50k, and hopefully 75k, so my input may not mean much.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »
They're both great bikes, so either choice you can't go wrong HT!

I got my new 09 ABS for $10k ($10.4 OTD) last fall and have put about $3k-$4k into farkles and in my opinion it's "now" set-up far better (for me at least) than a stock 10/11. Had I done the farkles I did on my 09 to a 10/11 I'd be into it almost $18k... just something to think about.

I agree with you, the stock seat and potato launcher are bad on both the 08/09 and the 10/11, so add that cost to your price right out of the shute.

Happy hunting, there's tons of great info and knowledge from members on this forum...

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »
I was dead set on a 2010 when my interest in the Connie came back, but acquiring one just didn't work out for me.  I have a 2009 that I got still brand new, and I'm as happy as a pig in s#$% with it.  I don't think you can go wrong with any year model C14 you choose.  If the 2010-11 doesn't have anything you just have to have as standard eqquipment on the bike, then you might as well save some money on MSRP and put it toward the farkles you really want.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline Happytrails

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »
Thanks to all for the good info.  I appreciate your feedback!  Sounds like maybe the 09. . . . . .

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:37:48 AM »
what ever you do you will be in love with it.

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 07:14:36 AM »
How long do you plan to keep it, if you trade every couple of years, the '08 or '09 will be a better investment.  If you plan to keep it five years, I'd go for the 2010 or 2011.  I bought extended warranty on my '08 and it is covered until August of 2013, at that time, I'm thinking maybe I can find a 2011 or 2012 with ABS and Traction control that I can afford.  How excited are you about cruise control?  If you have to have it, the plug and play version McCruise is about $1000, a Sargent seat around $600, aluminum luggage rack $120 or so.  As others have said, you can't go wrong either way.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
One thing a lot of people don't look at when buying a new "old" bike is the resale value down the line. Since the bike may be a year or two old when you buy it, it will also be older when you sell it. So, unless the up-front price is really good you will also lose more at the end.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Happytrails

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »
JoeR, I'm not sure how long I'll keep it.  It will depend upon how much I like it and how it fits into my needs over time.  I do alot of two up with my wife and she will certainly have soem input into this question.  The cruise control is a really nice thing to have (for those who have gotten use to having one especially) and is a large oversight for a "sport tourer" machine IMHO.  More reasons to start out with the 09 maybe.....

Phil, thanks for your insight and I do consider this factor of resale value.  That $3K difference to start out is a tough one to overcome.  Not sure how bad the issues that were corrected are such as the heat, mirrors, etc.  I have received some good responses that indicate there is nothing of major significance between these two model years (09/10) or at least that cannot be easily remedied.  I am still curious as to how the mirror situation can easily be remedied though.  This seems to me to be a major obstacle to overcome but not sure really how much of an issue that particular problem was to begin with.  I do get alot of comfort in easily seeing who's behind me at all times and especially when stopping.  Just about became a hood ornament two weeks ago.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »
The new ones have linked brakes?

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
JoeR, I'm not sure how long I'll keep it.  It will depend upon how much I like it and how it fits into my needs over time.  I do alot of two up with my wife and she will certainly have soem input into this question.  The cruise control is a really nice thing to have (for those who have gotten use to having one especially) and is a large oversight for a "sport tourer" machine IMHO.  More reasons to start out with the 09 maybe.....

Phil, thanks for your insight and I do consider this factor of resale value.  That $3K difference to start out is a tough one to overcome.  Not sure how bad the issues that were corrected are such as the heat, mirrors, etc.  I have received some good responses that indicate there is nothing of major significance between these two model years (09/10) or at least that cannot be easily remedied.  I am still curious as to how the mirror situation can easily be remedied though.  This seems to me to be a major obstacle to overcome but not sure really how much of an issue that particular problem was to begin with.  I do get alot of comfort in easily seeing who's behind me at all times and especially when stopping.  Just about became a hood ornament two weeks ago.

The mirrors work quite well.  In fact, they stick out farther than any other mirrors I've seen on a motorcycle.  Too far, in my opinion.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 09:54:27 AM »
The new ones have linked brakes?

Yes they do, but there is a switch to select one of two seperate modes. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.