Author Topic: New N.E. Oklahoman  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Dualsport

New N.E. Oklahoman
« on: January 17, 2018, 02:22:23 PM »
Thanks for letting me join the group. I’m a twice honorably discharged 55 year-old Marine, working on wearing out his 2nd - 100% stock 2009 C14 (I don’t prefer linked or ABS brakes). Also working on wearing out my second KLR 650 (1st was ‘88, 2nd is also a 2009) On Dec. 26th I did an iron-butt out to Hemet, CA (I-75, 5am, 13°F - I-40, @Amarillo 19°/40 mph gusting crosswind/freezing rain, spent the night in Galup, NM —solely due to a rear flat tire— and left there the next morning when it was 24°. Took 377 from Holbrook, AZ down to Mesa, AZ and had so much fun, I almost turned around to do it again, then took I-10 into California. On Jan 2nd I left Chula Vista, CA for Las Crusis, NM then to Ft. Worth and Tulsa. Got home at 5:20 am and it was 1°F.)
I learned alot about super cold riding and had a blast! Remember, I run 100% stock which includes the small OEM screen, OEM seat, and non heated grips. I routinely scoot to Austin and St. Louis and love riding in Arkansas area.
The California ride was my 4th.   I own my own business and ride almost daily as both bikes are used primarily for business. I love to hunt and shoot. Im also a commercial pilot and flight instuctor. I married one of the best divorce attorneys in the country, so I’ll always be happily married, hence the bikes and hobbies ;-). I’ve only ridden a Harley once in my life. Im looking for someone to ride with as everyone here is an HD group rider. I have done several Patriot Gaurd missions. I spend a lot of time on the local lakes.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: New N.E. Oklahoman
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 02:39:48 PM »
Welcome  :chugbeer:  to the forum, Dualsport!!! I thank you for your service to our country. :salute:
Lotsa info & great members here. You definitely don't let any moss grow under your feet. :hail:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 03:42:19 PM »
Welcome, that Sir was a damn cold ride!

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:25:04 PM »
Welcome aboard!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 04:39:18 PM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 06:15:36 PM »
Welcome aboard! I'm new here also.

You're close to some of our great roads here in Arkansas. It doesn't appear getting here is a problem for you either.

If I may ask, what was considered worn out or brought the 1st. C14 to a end? 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:45:33 AM by Justcliff »
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »
Welcome  :)

Offline Rob9876

• Beginner Motorcycling
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 10:56:28 AM »
Welcome to the forums!
2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Kawasaki Versys ABS, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (sold)
Beginner Motorcycling

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 09:39:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the read as well as the ride.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Dualsport

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 04:53:37 PM »
Welcome aboard! I'm new here also.

You're close to some of our great roads here in Arkansas. It doesn't appear getting here is a problem for you either.

If I may ask, what was considered worn out or brought the 1st. C14 to a end?
I logged 43,000 miles and one day in 2015, as I was exiting my neighborhood, the plumber driving in front of me stopped mid street. I stopped behind his van, the reverse lights came on, and that was the end of my beloved "Marine One", a red 2009. I rode my '09 KLR 650 for about a year and a 1/2, all the time looking for a new touring bike. Just couldn't find one used that had not been either goofilly modified, or not highly worn. Came close to buying an FJR. Then, one day 8 months ago, while getting a new rear tire for the KLR at the dealership, I saw a very dirt covered black C14 in the back of the dealership. The tires were heavily age cracked, the battery was dead, and it had about 30 mud-dauber nests on it, so many so, the side mirrors wouldn't move and the tailpipe was almost completely restricted. Nobody had sat on the seat in years. While talking to the mechanic, he in passing said he thought it had ultra low miles on it, they'd bought it out-right off someone trying to get rid of it, and they didn't know anything about it, nor had it even been checked out as he'd not gotten to it yet. It haunted me the entire time they were changing the KLR's tire as I waited. Finally, a salesman approached me about the fourth time I'd wandered back out into the showroom to look at the dirty bike. He offered to find a battery for the KIPASS fob, and he put a jumpstart charger on the bike so he could get the dash to fire up. I about fell over when it displayed a mere 3,800 miles. I asked for a wet shop rag and began wiping the heavy dust off her. Again, the tires were more weather cracked than I'd ever imagined on a motorcycle, but there appeared to be no other wear or any sun damage. (must have been under a carport or something, but it hadn't been a tarp, judging by the way the dust had uniformly covered it. No rain, just caked on red Oklahoma dirt & dust.) The seat was perfect, as was the windscreen, footpeg rubber, and even the shifter rubber was 100% free of any signs of use. I asked for the price and they told me they'd stollen it, so it'd be a great deal. They called me on Friday and said the new tires were on an she was ready for a test drive. Kudos to No Limit Powersports in Bartlesville, OK as they let me take her home for the weekend. They made me an unbelievable deal that included new Shinkos, new batteries, full service, including new Anikee III's for the KLR. Wife was outta town that weekend and sometime really late that Friday, I started disassembling the bike to get at all the hidden dirt and wasp nests. I couldn't open the gas cap and that's what really had started the whole fidgeting process. The gas cap had been closed for so long it had white rusted shut internally. Next thing I new it was 2am. I dinked with it all weekend and Monday night. Other than rust discolored brake rotors, I could not find any hint of wear to un-aferm the low odometer reading. I called them on Tuesday and made the deal. I now have 16,800 miles and she's done nothing but run like I'd bought her new.  :) :)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »
That is awesome! Almost like a "Barn Find", only at a dealership!  :thumbs:
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline O.C.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 01:10:43 AM »
Great introduction and excellent story there dualsport.....a very warm welcome to Connie ownership and this forum  :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 11:01:28 AM »
Great story! Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum.