Author Topic: Last issue I hope  (Read 24974 times)

Offline sgilbert14

Re: Last issue I hope
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 03:40:57 AM »
More done new issue,

I finished wiring my fog lights, the air box, and the valve adjustment but as I was installing the valve cover I snapped one of the valve cover bolts so now comes the fun of drilling and pulling it out, making sure that no shavings end up in the engine and finding a replacement bolt.... after that I install the fairing and I should have the season to ride..... I hope!

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 06:31:36 AM »
You may have better luck if you remove the cap to work on the bolt.  Some times the broke off piece will come out easily on a bolt like that because the shoulder bottoming out is what was holding it in not the thread tension (i'm assuming only the bolt biece is down in the hole).  Your local shop should be able to order a new bolt for you for probably a few bucks, or some of us have extra ones lying around if you need one.

A word of caution.  Be VERY careful.  The head and cam caps were line-bored at the same time for the cam shaft journals.  If you mess that cap up you may have a very expensive problem in that you will be looking for a new head with caps because a replacement one wouldn't exactly be available.  Watch that torque when tightening the cover bolts, it is in inch/lbs not foot/lbs.  You just kind of snug them up with a 1/4" drive socket or use an exact measurement.

(OK guys, did I remember this correctly?)
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Stasch

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 03:18:09 PM »
Yes, shout out If you need cam cap bolts and locator pins.  I've got some left from a scrapped engine.

It might take all of 2 stamps to get them to you.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 03:34:05 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I will be pulling the cover off to work on the bold as it did break off in the hole. I hope that the process goes nice and smooth and without issues but will be extra careful on this as well. Thanks again

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 07:36:04 AM »
remove the valve cover, remove the cam cap and then work on getting the bolt out. You don't want to do that while it's still in the engine. Most likely you'll be able to get ahold of the bolt with vice grips and unscrew it out.

While you're in there, readjust all your valves. I think the shutting off is due to tight valves - I've seen it before. Good luck - steve

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 11:41:17 AM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-screw-extractor-set-40349.html

I have some that are small enough, and look like a short drill bit, but they are left hand spiral, chuck it in a drill and set it to reverse, will drill in and grab in one shot, spins it right out...

I think I got them at Lowes... iirc or Ace...

this is the one....

http://www.mit-tool.com/maxcraft/products-10-37-525-60406-MAXCRAFT-3pc_Screw_Extractor_Bit_Set.htm

remove the cap, and if you have a drill press that runs in reverse (l/h) use that, if not, a hand drill will work... use a 3/32" drill first, about an 1/8" deep, to make a starter hole.
These extractors grab fast and pulsing the drill will make it spin out like Butter.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
Great and thanks. I work just down the road from Harbor Freight and will swing and get these after work tomorrow.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
Local store, no help. Went to HF to buy this kit with the printed page and was told that they did not sell them. Will try a local hardware tomorrow.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »
Got this task finished and it is almost back together. Thanks for the help !

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 09:38:08 AM »
Good job!  I'm assuming you have or found a replacement bolt?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »
Thanks to the help of RFH87_Connie  I have it on the way + an extra.. thanks again!  :)

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »
I think that we are on the last legs as this looong project. Everything is back together and it seems to be running better then it has since I have owned it. Need to do a bit of work and then it is off for a test..

Thanks to all who helped in every way

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »
sgilbert, I have to congratulate you on the impending success of your project. I have followed your trials and tribulations with this bike almost from the beginning. You have overcome and risen above problems that would have lesser men whimpering in a corner. I hope you have a long and happy time with a motorcycle that you know most intimately.  :chugbeer:
Gary

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 04:47:54 PM »
Thank you and after 40 miles on the initiation ride all I can say is --- wow! I rode it the first year I had it and after Steve's carbs and all the blood I can say that it pulls great, with the new shoes it rides and corners 100x better and I have found a new joy in the old girl. Still some things to do but I think that for the most part the big stuff is done, knock on wood... thanks to all the advices, spares etc.... so to top it off I just installed my bat wings before the ride. Now a week of nightly short rides to knock out any quirks and then the mountains! :grouphug:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »
Time for some pics then?

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2014, 05:51:25 PM »
Will get them up when I can.... but here are some before the tip over bars and some other add-ons

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 05:23:46 AM »
VERY nice looking.  It looks like the scoops might be on the wrong sides.  If you flip them they will be more inline with the fairing edge.  Be careful with tire shine products on the side walls too.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 05:46:59 AM »
Thanks. I will check the scoops out tonight

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 08:25:51 PM »
I put in a ride tonight and she seems to run so much better. I did the valve adjustment but I may have to do a recheck as the exhaust seems to have a different sound to it. Still need to make some adjustments with the air box foam block but it pulls great and seems to run w/o issues so I guess the rest is fine tuning.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »
Update:
So far most are things are going well. On the list of things to do are:

1) Throttle cables as the adjusters on my current set are about dead
2) Find out why the valves are ticking as I have done the adjustments - maybe the shims need to be done? Ideas here would be great help.

I have done a few 30 mile rides and so far no issues other then the ticking in the valves that I will sort out but it seems to pull great and purrs on the highway. Will start making some longer rides one I feel a bit more confident in that she won't leave me with a 14 mile walk like last summer,,,,,