Author Topic: Cut down windscreen  (Read 27037 times)

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
Re: Cut down windscreen
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 01:38:40 PM »
Always check the FAQs. Your answers are there.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=966.0

Offline yoman

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 01:54:32 PM »
Okay, I did it. 13 inches seems to be the magic number. Cut it out of Lexan on the bandsaw, cleaned it up on the spindle sander and 600 grit to finish. The edges are not polished but have a smooth and consistent finish.

The buffet factor is minimumal and in fact seems to be less when riding in the "dirty air" behind large vehicles. Obviously there is quite a bit more wind noise but that is to be expected and possibly a benefit since I don't hear every little noise from the engine.

All in all I like it. Pics coming soon.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 03:18:52 PM »
Well I've gone on about a 90 mile cruise and all I can say is "...Why the hell didn't I do this sooner?..." I absolutely love it, no buffeting and no adverse affects either. I don't see the need as of yet to drill holes, everything feels fine for me.  Today I went to cycle gear to get some windshield trim to finish off the edges to tie it all to the bikes edging.

and while I had the dremel out I bobbed my tail.

Cheers
Ron

09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »
ummmm !!! I just might slice that peak down a tad.  I'm thinking about it.
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 03:44:58 PM »
It is entirely possible that I put in the vent holes after I cut the lip off and before I cut it down to 13".   :loco: :loco: :loco:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 03:48:05 PM »
It is entirely possible that I put in the vent holes after I cut the lip off and before I cut it down to 13".   :loco: :loco: :loco:

I think my peak is at 15 inches.
09 Connie

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »
ummmm !!! I just might slice that peak down a tad.  I'm thinking about it.
Do you like the trim on your shield?  That was one on the very first thing I took off of my 02.

Gotta love the bobbed tail.  Mmmmm makes her sexy
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 03:54:35 PM »
Do you like the trim on your shield? 
Yes I do I think it ties it all together.  Now I had clear trim on my GIVI screen and yanked that off, but I think the black look better on my bike, JMHO.

Cheers
Ron

Yeah I'm going to chop the peak, too.
09 Connie

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »
This weekend I think I am going to pull it off and rattle can it gloss black.

Have you thought about VHT spray window tint?  http://www.vhtpaint.com/windowtint.html
09 Connie

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »
Have you thought about VHT spray window tint?  http://www.vhtpaint.com/windowtint.html
Now there is an interesting idea. Im going to contact them tomorrow and find out how/if it works on polycarbonates.
Thanks for the link
2002 Conc

enim57

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2011, 07:14:33 PM »
This is my '86 with the lip removed from the stock screen. I used a jigsaw with hacksaw blade, fine file, and sharp knife for removing sharp corners & burrs. I have 25mm (1") risers.

Regards, Russell

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2011, 08:12:18 PM »
I never get tired of seeing pics of that white bike. Looking good.
2002 Conc

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »
Hey snarf check this out, I never thought of this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328838 or google  windscreen tint with Rite dye..  That is an option too. From what I have read alot of folks get splochy results from the VHT, .....but that might be do the there inabilaty to use a  spray can.  ;)
09 Connie

Offline F-106

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 10:11:33 PM »
My 06 with a cut down rifle. It went from 24" to 15". Good summer shield.

IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 06:53:48 AM »
Now there is an interesting idea. Im going to contact them tomorrow and find out how/if it works on polycarbonates.
Thanks for the link

I've used this stuff (VHT paint) in the past with good results.  The trick is, if you want to call it a trick, is to paint the inside only.  Then be careful with it.  Never paint the outside, sand and road debris will scuff it up pretty quick.  Use a nice new 600 grit paper to frost the inside (no going back after this).  Old paper may give you an inconsistant pattern (scratches).  Clean it good with Windex (no residue).  Mask off and spray.  A nice effect is achieved if you apply more coats to the bottom end vs. the top to get a gradient look.  Clearer at the top, opaque at the bottom.  Take your time.  If you're really good with the spray can, you can add a little black all the way at the bottom to make it actually black.  I haven't done this to my current bike, but am getting ready to do it to a shield I got from Jet to be used on my dad's bike I'm restoring.  Mine's got a Cee Bailey's 22.5" and I just can't seem to want to change it.  Dad's bike has a full-sized smoked shield I can trade between the bikes when I want to.

P.S. - Our local Advance and AutoZone carries this stuff.  I saw matte black engine paint too.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »
Thanks RF.
2002 Conc

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »
Thanks RF, I just pulled my windscreen and followed your instructions. I went for the sam shade thru out.  I also laid the windscreen on a newspaper to gauge how even  it is going on.  That seemed to work for me.  Right now it's drying and I'll post pics later.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 12:57:15 PM »
Good idea about the paper.  I always hung mine by tape on the front side and painted it outdoors so I could see thru it.  It dries a little more opaque than it first appears.  I've painted a few rear pick-up and car windows with this stuff too.  It comes out nice but you have to be careful when cleaning them.

I read the link about tinting it with dye.  I never tried that.  I used to dye the nylon RC car parts by boiling them in whatever color dye you needed.  Pretty fine line with the temp when it's your windshield.  Maybe use a BBQ grill and a large pan (which I don't have).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 01:42:35 PM »
Well gang, he is my end result.  I do like it, kinda has a smokey effect up close. And as you all can see I chopped the peak off too.  I think it looks tons better.

and one more, and yes I had to drill out one of those dang screws.  >:(

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2011, 01:58:31 PM »
Looks great!