Author Topic: Rear suspension bushings  (Read 21917 times)

Offline m hanlen

Re: Rear suspension bushings
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
Well, I emailed both companies for a quote.
I've also ordered the LED dash bulbs.
Now to order some tires.
This has been the best bike I've ever had. 10 years of fun. The 2002 has got to be the best.
I found some stuff to fix the transmission paper gasket leak (only leaks when it's on the side stand and raises the oil level on the left side) without dis-assembly,
http://www.permatex.com.au/UserFiles/File/PX-0334.82099SpraynSeal.SS.pdf
It's not how I would like to fix it but it works and only $8.

Offline m hanlen

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2013, 02:38:53 PM »
Just received an email from  ernestinef@ametric.com ;
You can fax the order in or email , phone the order in.  The part number 20-27x16, 20-27x32. All purchases are credit card only That's 61.63 plus tax and shipping
Self-Lubricating Sintered Bronze Bearings/Bushings
3 @ 20 mm ID x 27 mm OD x 16 mm Length $11.91 each we have stock
2 @ 20 mm ID x 27 mm OD x 32 mm Length $12.95 each we have stock

Then you need new bolts
   SKU       QTY   Your Price   List Price   Total Price
    1077847   BOLT,SUSPENSION ARM (92002-1709)    X    $21.11   $27.82   $42.23
Added to order on: 01/13/2013 @ 08:44PM       You Save: $6.71 (24%)
    1077848   BOLT,SUSPENSION ARM (92002-1710)    X    $17.14   $24.84   $51.42
Added to order on: 01/13/2013 @ 08:45PM       You Save: $7.70 (31%)
            Sub Total:    $93.65
https://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/43/Year/2002/ModelID/4268/Model/Concours/GroupID/135143/Group/Rear_Suspension

Now we're looking at $155.28 plus shipping and handling and install and mistakes. Has to be a better source.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »
Why are you replacing the shoulder bolts? Unless they are in really bad shape there is no reason why you can't reuse them. Mainly as you absolutely will need to polish down their OD till it slip fits to the bushing as you don't want to polish the ID of an oiled bronze bushing; this will smear its pores. I polished the bolts by chucking them in a drill press and turning them at high speed with a piece of emery cloth; check the fit several times till you get a nice fit. Even if the bolts are indented most oif not all of that will polish out and even it is does not you will still have plenty of bolt surface to provide more than adequate support to the bronze.

This price may be old but it can't be that old...

3 @ 20 mm ID x 27 mm OD x 16 mm Length
2 @ 20 mm ID x 27 mm OD x 32 mm Length

WWW.LM-TARBELL.COM
PATRICK FALLON
413-525-4166

Expect to pay roughly 36.00 for the bushings plus shipping.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Why are you replacing the shoulder bolts? Unless they are in really bad shape there is no reason why you can't reuse them. Mainly as you absolutely will need to polish down their OD till it slip fits to the bushing as you don't want to polish the ID of an oiled bronze bushing; this will smear its pores. I polished the bolts by chucking them in a drill press and turning them at high speed with a piece of emery cloth; check the fit several times till you get a nice fit. Even if the bolts are indented most oif not all of that will polish out and even it is does not you will still have plenty of bolt surface to provide more than adequate support to the bronze.

WWW.LM-TARBELL.COM
PATRICK FALLON
413-525-4166

I'm glad to hear you say that about the bolts...cuz...that's what I was thinking... :)
'02 C-10

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2013, 04:37:34 PM »
I'm glad to hear you say that about the bolts...cuz...that's what I was thinking... :)

I'd never steer y'all wrong.....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline m hanlen

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2013, 08:05:05 AM »

WWW.LM-TARBELL.COM
PATRICK FALLON
413-525-4166

The bolts were pretty messed up, maybe a little worse than the pics in the first post. You say polish them. About how many thousands are you thinking, just a couple?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2013, 08:20:19 AM »
The bolts were pretty messed up, maybe a little worse than the pics in the first post. You say polish them. About how many thousands are you thinking, just a couple?

Can't hurt to try polishing them and see how much they clean up and they will clean up a lot as they are not hardened bolts. I found that when you press in the new bronze bushing that they will compress by a couple thousand and that the bolts will not fit through until they are polished up accordingly. Keep in mind that a few shallow divots in the bolt will not bother the bushings at all and in fact give a pocket for oil/grease to hide; this is the true advantage to bushing verse needle bearings as the only support you get from the needle bearing is from the contact surface of the tiny needles whereas the bushing offers 100 % surface contact.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline m hanlen

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 04:23:08 PM »
Done! $58.70 delivered
installation with interruptions, 2 1/2 hours - without, about an hour.
As you said T Cro, I think I used a 3/4 deep well socket to drive them out, used the vice to press them in flush and the socket to drive them in another .350 for the seal. Again the bolts are soft. Chucked them in a drill and in about 15 seconds they looked new. It did take a little more work on one to fit the bushing but not much. I used some BG prelube to assemble. I got a work out with the grease gun, stop laughing!
Thanks for all your advice and experience.
Ordered bushings from
WWW.LM-TARBELL.COM
PATRICK FALLON
413-525-4166,
receipt attached for part numbers and price.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »
Done! $58.70 delivered
installation with interruptions, 2 1/2 hours - without, about an hour.
As you said T Cro, I think I used a 3/4 deep well socket to drive them out, used the vice to press them in flush and the socket to drive them in another .350 for the seal. Again the bolts are soft. Chucked them in a drill and in about 15 seconds they looked new. It did take a little more work on one to fit the bushing but not much. I used some BG prelube to assemble. I got a work out with the grease gun, stop laughing!
Thanks for all your advice and experience.

Glad to hear that it all worked out for ya... Ya the clearance is so tight that the grease gun can barely pump the grease through...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline m hanlen

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
Glad to hear that it all worked out for ya... Ya the clearance is so tight that the grease gun can barely pump the grease through...
The rear is real tight now. Probably out last me. I also did the 4 led instrument lights, now it's ready for a new rear tire. I'm going back to Elite 3 bias. It's good for 20k.