Author Topic: Front Won't Build Pressure  (Read 10280 times)

Offline connie_rider

Re: Front Won't Build Pressure
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2020, 02:20:28 PM »
Fingers are crossed for ya Buddy.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2020, 02:23:41 PM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2020, 01:10:26 PM »
Same here... I am sure  it will be fixed with a master rebuild kit. I was on a Facebook site and what appeared to be the  same issue was fixed with a kit..  Good Luck!!
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2020, 02:52:29 PM »
keep in mind "bleed down" on fluid pressure, differs from "air ingress'. and should be treated accordingly.. they are completely different, and come from differing issues.. 'member how I mentioned that air ain't coming in thru the master cylinder?, on another issue..? loss of pumping pressure can come from damaged seals, but as there is no "air" issue, it's just loss of "first pump" compression on fluid. Seal replacement is the cure.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2020, 04:10:50 PM »
keep in mind "bleed down" on fluid pressure, differs from "air ingress'. and should be treated accordingly.. they are completely different, and come from differing issues.. 'member how I mentioned that air ain't coming in thru the master cylinder?, on another issue..? loss of pumping pressure can come from damaged seals, but as there is no "air" issue, it's just loss of "first pump" compression on fluid. Seal replacement is the cure.

Yes, there's a chance the calipers are faulty still for one reason or another. That's why I have used calipers sitting in the garage, in case the master rebuild doesn't fix it.

At this point, first pump pressure is lost only after riding the bike, which I think is very weird.. It might be because the pistons actually move back and forth and calipers might be leaking as the pistons come in and go out.. They work fine while on the bike, seem to have constant pressure. But once I'm home and I put the ziptie on, 2 hours later, lever feels empty

I don't know at this point. I just want to ride my bike reliably again :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 04:48:23 PM by okrider »
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline okrider

« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2020, 05:37:15 PM »
Replaced the internals of the master today with new OEM one. Putting that seal on the little piston was quite difficult. Bled as normal, top first, then calipers. Went for a ride and put the ziptie back on. We'll see if it holds pressure until tomorrow.

The test ride felt great, it was like test riding a new bike, brakes were confidence inspiring. I really hope they stay that way tomorrow. I'll come back and report yay or nay.
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2020, 07:11:55 PM »
Good news... glad to hear
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2020, 08:14:43 PM »
Fingers crossed!
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2020, 05:02:12 PM »
Fingers crossed!

+1 !!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2020, 05:18:30 PM »
Come on now.  This thread is only 8 pages...  Let's keep it going!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2020, 05:55:17 PM »
Come on now.  This thread is only 8 pages...  Let's keep it going!
I’m pretty sure okrider doesn’t feel the same way. LOL
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2020, 07:49:01 PM »
Hmmmmm, you again....  LOL

Offline okrider

« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2020, 08:06:52 AM »
@VirginiaJim, if you'd like to take over the thread, I'm happy to do a caliper rebuild job on your bike, and you can try to figure out why your brakes aren't working while I ride my bike around  ;D

Good news everyone, it seems the bike is fixed after the master rebuild. Holds pressure overnight. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with suggestions and to everyone who gave moral support along the way.

Is there a lesson to be learned here? If you're rebuilding calipers, rebuild the master at the same time? Or is the master rebuild a bandaid over the "real problem"? I don't know but I'm happy I have a working bike now.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2020, 10:55:08 AM »
I will forgo the dancing bananas & just say:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2020, 11:04:00 AM »
In this case, ya gotta do the Dancing banana's!!!

:banana :banana Yahoooooooooooooooooooooo…!! :banana :banana

Ride safe, Ted

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2020, 12:10:11 PM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :goodpost:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2020, 01:05:21 PM »
Just wondering why the master would need to be rebuilt as well?  Unless the pressure of the rebuilt calipers overwhelmed a worn master cylinder.  All the bleeding pushed it over the edge.  At any rate glad it's fixed!

Offline okrider

« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2020, 04:44:32 PM »
Thanks people for the congrats. Going for a test ride today to pick up some Hattie B's, I noticed that the clutch could be smoother, and likely has air in the system. Maybe I should rebuild the clutch too while I"m at it. Now that I know how to do it..

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2020, 08:31:50 AM »
I don't recall okrider telling us why he rebuilt the caliper's?
Wondering if he had a master Cylinder problem in the beginning, and repaired calipers?
Id that a possibility?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline okrider

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2020, 11:07:42 AM »
Well, that's a big kick in the nuts. During my ride yesterday, my brakes were quite good, and today they were much worse, ziptied the lever after a quick test ride, and an hour later, the lever's dead. No pressure at all..

The reason I rebuilt the calipers was because I could hear the bike braking as I was riding around after my road trip to Texas this past December. So I figured I'd rebuild them and sure enough, I can't hear the brakes dragging anymore, so something must've worked. But that led to this series of problems..

I think I'm going to bust open the used calipers I bought and give them a good clean and install those.