Author Topic: Motorcycle Lift procedures  (Read 1186 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Motorcycle Lift procedures
« on: January 26, 2020, 06:37:56 PM »
I was thinking of getting a motorcycle lift later this year. All though it would be nice to not have to lay on the floor to change the oil and filter, I've
been trying to go through the maintenance procedures in my head and I'm not sure about some of them. Tire changing is the most often performed
procedure and I'm not sure how a lift helps at all when changing the front wheel. Right now when I change tires on my C14, I remove the rear wheel
and then jack up under the headers enough to raise the front wheel enough were I don't have to remove the fender to get the wheel out. It works pretty well.
I'm not sure that would work or be safe with the bike up on a lift. I see in photos, that most not only strap the bike to the lift but have the front wheel in a chock/vice.
I'm beginning to think that a lift is not really going to be all that helpful to me with straps in the way and an inaccessible front wheel. I have other bikes, but I'm
becoming doubtful that a lift will help me service those any better than the C14. I suppose a C14 valve adjustment would be easier, but I'm not sure what else would
if anything. I must be missing something.  ??? ::)

I'd appreciate hearing from those of you that have a lift explaining how it helps perform regular maintenance and how you do various procedures.

Offline Stasch

Re: Motorcycle Lift procedures
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 06:39:51 AM »
A lift makes routine maintenance so much nicer.

To R&R front wheel, I use tie downs on the rear passenger grab rails to ratchet the rear wheel down to the lift.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 01:29:20 PM »
A lift makes routine maintenance so much nicer.

To R&R front wheel, I use tie downs on the rear passenger grab rails to ratchet the rear wheel down to the lift.

Lacking a lift, or a place to put one, I do just the opposite.  I put straps around the main roof support beam in the garage, and use them to ratchet UP the front end.  There's more than one way to accomplish the same goal.  If I have to have both wheels off the ground fro any reason, I have some straps and chains that I use to lift the entire bike with my hydraulic engine hoist. but it isn't very useful as the bike tends to swing around a bit.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 10:10:57 AM »
Hello FM.
I did some horse-trading and got an old style lift a couple of years ago.
All I can say is; I am sooooo mad at myself for not doing it sooner.

Your correct.
Because of the front wheel stop/clamp, I haven't found a good way to change front tires.. {yet}
But, for everything else,,, priceless!

NOTE: I use turnbuckles to secure the bike on the lift. {I feel their far more steady than tie downs}
           Because of them, I'm planning to make the front stop/clamp "removable".
             {if-I-ever-get-around-to-it}

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Please don't tell anyone I sed you were correct about something..

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 11:14:42 AM »
Although I've seen some lifts that actually have both a removable panel in the rear and a hinged drop down panel in front, they seemed more expensive than what I'm willing to spend.
I'm thinking of not having a front wheel chock at all and just changing tires as I do now only at a more convenient height. Probably do all the final axle torquing with the lift lowered for safety.
I would still like to see or hear about your turnbuckle attachment Ted. I'm assuming it is to the pegs?...or is it through the axles like on your trailer? The latter would not be useful to me since
it would keep me from changing the tires. Some way to actually attach the center-stand to the lift would be nice. I'm looking at those little half-moon loops on the center stand and thinking that
some high strength SS rod or bar could be passed through them and then fastened down to the lift. Those loops might not be that strong, but it would seem to at least be an aid to stability.

PS: Please don't tell anyone I sed you were correct about something..
  :-X I won't tell, but if I did nobody would believe it anyway if they knew I was quoting you.  :stirpot:

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 08:57:31 PM »
Thru the axle's is the best..
ie; I change a tire on one end, and then the change the tire on the other.
     So I put the bike on the center stand and secure either the front or the back and change a tire, then reverse the process
         and do the other..

With the front wheel stop/clamp, the biggest problem is getting the bike "on" the center stand.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 02:18:31 PM »
I have given up on using a lift for changing tires. I have a J&S motorcycle lift (not a table lift) for my other bikes. On the C14, I put it up on the center stand and remove the rear wheel. I then remove the front calipers and loosen the front axel. At this point I simply push down on the rear of the bike to lift the front tire off the ground while someone, normally my wife, places jack stands under the front forks. I then remove the front wheel. Once the tires are changed, I reverse the process. I’m planning on picking up a track stand that will lift the front from the triple tree. I would like to see some in person before I choose which one to buy, but the only ones I have found are online.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 05:44:07 AM »
That's what I did...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.