Author Topic: brrrrrrrr  (Read 57478 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: brrrrrrrr
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2015, 12:13:11 AM »
It snowed again here and this time it was the wet, heavy snow of warmer temperatures (usually called 'heart attack' snow 'cause this is the stuff that..... well, you know). It stuck to everything and I have to say, this is the most beautiful snow of the season for me. There are a lot of 'canopied' roads around there, where the branches and twigs of the trees on both sides meet in the middle; when this kind of snow occurs, everything in all directions is pure white, including looking 'up'. Of course this is a motorcycle forum, and lots of people do not care for the winter season anyway, never mind the loss of riding time but I have to say, I would really miss this season if I did not have it at least every two or three years. Besides there being something fundamentally wrong with an air conditioner making the branches of a Christmas Tree move around  ::) , winter is actually enjoyable, at least for some of us. Besides all that, my snowblower is a Honda so it is not all that big a stretch from a Kawasaki anyway. :-)

It is going down to 3F tonight and 9F tomorrow night so this stuff is going to freeze into a big, white rock. Best shovel or blow it out of the way now folks 'cause in two days you might need a pickaxe to break it up beforehand.  :o

Brian

ya know, as much as I biotch about it, I grew up here, and all said, Kinda love it all... I could never live in Florida or Kalifonica...

there is something to be said about the tenacity of us folks living here.... we got balls, shrunken, but we got balls. and sometimes the beauty outweighs the pain...

midnight time exposure shot from our first snow in November...looks pretty much the same now, but that picnic table is a white lump in the yard currently.... ::)

all my usable firewood is now sitting at the back of that property line, 100 yards from the house, in 2 foot deep snow.... bummer, thank god we have a gas furnace.... 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2015, 06:06:46 AM »
   +1 on the fortitude of us northern climate types!

Nice fire Rich, but the glass looks pretty empty!  ???
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2015, 06:58:59 AM »
How do you think he got the fire started?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2015, 06:41:23 AM »
40's and 50's temps coming this week! No rain. I figure by May 1st the last of the snow, especially the mountains of it in the parking lots, should be about gone. Winter isn't over by a long shot, plus, they got to use up thousands of tons of salt, as if they don't, they won't get as much next season.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2015, 03:40:32 PM »
I can see bare pavement in the driveway today.... wooooo hooooooo

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2015, 05:54:31 AM »
First ride yesterday!!   ;D

The picture was taken from inside the garage, you can see the channel I had to carve out of the ice the get the bike out.  Backed it slightly up hill out along side of the car.

Feet on the ice over the channel was not a fun couple of pushes going backwards, I'm going to make that channel wider for the next ride.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »
Here too. It is 51F today (so far) and everything outside is creaking, knocking, dripping and generally moving around. Everything is changing size as it moves away from the nominal 12F that it is used to being lately.

I think this has been the coldest overall winter I can remember, as well as one of the largest annual snowfalls for this area.

Brian

I can see bare pavement in the driveway today.... wooooo hooooooo
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2015, 02:47:03 PM »
This is getting a bit old.
3/5/15 should be better than this.
-22F at home when I left for work. -27F there.

And five days later it is in the low 50's. Quite a sudden 70* and more temp change.
Have seen a few bikes out on the city streets today at work.
Gettin' the itch, but almost a foot of snow in my yard still and getting the C10 out would be an accident waiting to happen. I would end up with the thing on top of me, no doubt. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:31:54 AM by jettawreck »
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2015, 07:12:32 AM »
Everything is melting around here too, I can even see the grass in the yard! It's a mess though. I love/hate this time of year. I love that it's warming up and it's gonna be time to ride soon but I hate the soggy yard and the dogs tracking mud into the house. The streets are still white with salt and as soon as we get a lil rain to wash 'em off I'll be out riding!

65f predicted for Monday.  :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2015, 10:49:55 AM »
This is the time of year, these next few weeks, where the idiots go onto the ice on the Great Lakes for ice fishing and either fall through at thin spots or get set adrift on floes that break away from the main ice, almost always along with their snowmobiles and equipment, sometimes cars. Its really dangerous now as its slushy and its melting unevenly and very hard to spot thin areas. The veterans have called it a season, the morons go until they fall through or are ordered off.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2015, 02:19:38 PM »
54*
31 minutes till the rain begins.....

Omg

What a storm this looks to be.....

Should finish the melt real fine for sure......

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #191 on: March 14, 2015, 05:14:44 AM »

I think this has been the coldest overall winter I can remember, as well as one of the largest annual snowfalls for this area.

Brian

We were watching the Boston News the other night, an they were showing pictures of the kids playing around the chunks of ice on the beach in Cape Cod. Chunks of ice 6 feet thick sitting on the beach...kinda surreal looking for the area.

We've had the coldest February on record here across the water Brian...it only got above freezing 5 times in the whole month, and those 5 times were brief...lol.

Supposed to be another foot or so coming tonight. Ugh.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2015, 06:18:10 AM »
Yesterday we had the highest temp in 69 days and the highest low since Christmas day, 56F and 35F. Glad I'm not like the morons who live near the rivers and get flooded out every spring. Monster ice jams.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »
Wow, you are still getting more? I think we are over the snow hurdle- it is raining here right now. Snow showers predicted for tomorrow but even if it does snow, it won't be much and it will not last as a 45F or warmer day will melt it all.

Yep, the edge of MA did catch it pretty badly this year. And while all big cities are lousy regarding plowing large snowfalls (not enough room to put the stuff), Boston is especially bad with its far too narrow and twisty 'cow path' roads. Six feet plus of snow is just a horror show anywhere in that area.

Brian

We were watching the Boston News the other night, an they were showing pictures of the kids playing around the chunks of ice on the beach in Cape Cod. Chunks of ice 6 feet thick sitting on the beach...kinda surreal looking for the area.

We've had the coldest February on record here across the water Brian...it only got above freezing 5 times in the whole month, and those 5 times were brief...lol.

Supposed to be another foot or so coming tonight. Ugh.

Rem
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #194 on: March 19, 2015, 02:39:55 PM »
Wow, you are still getting more?

Yup...24" this past Sunday, and another 24" yesterday...and that doesn't count what drifted...lol. However, we haven't even come close to breaking any records...this has all been here before...it's just been a while;).

Here's a couple action pics of our hound dog in the back yard today;).

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2015, 03:01:30 PM »
 :rotflmao:    Ya gotta love a hound!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »
Damn, that snow sucks. Love the pup though.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2015, 04:40:38 AM »
Yup...24" this past Sunday, and another 24" yesterday...and that doesn't count what drifted...lol. However, we haven't even come close to breaking any records...this has all been here before...it's just been a while;).

Here's a couple action pics of our hound dog in the back yard today;).

Great pics! You just gotta love a Basset! 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #198 on: March 21, 2015, 04:28:40 PM »
We missed out on most of the 2-4" of snowy slop predicted yesterday and mostly just got wet.
Woke up to 11F this morning and has topped out around 29 today.
Snow is gone here, but I have one more ice fishing trip to Ontario planned for this coming weekend with the snowmobiles. When I get back I sincerely hope to be able to get the C10 out and go for a run.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »
28 March, 2015 and the forecast is calling for 1-3" of snow. This is the longest lasting, steadily coldest and highest snowfall winter I can remember, including 1978 when the blizzard dumped 54" on us and shut the state down for a week. I still have snow in my yard from the last 200 or 300 snowfalls this year :-)

Brian