Author Topic: Bias and radial tires  (Read 10910 times)

Offline buzzcut

Bias and radial tires
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:07:43 PM »
Hi all  When I bought m yconnie 3 years go, it apparently had a radial front and bias rear.  did not notice until I had to change the front.  No issues that I noticed.  I've been riding for over 30 years  so its not like I'm ignorant with handling.  Now, this seems to be a sacred cow that nobody has been able to explain suitably to me.  anybody with the know, please pipe up.  Why can't we mix Bias and Radial?  Lots of conjecture, no hard knowledge.  My real world experience says 'No big deal"

thanks

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Bias and radial tires
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:34:39 PM »
Why can't we mix Bias and Radial?

Because tire manf must cover their ass due to safety aspects that's why....... It has been done both ways time and time again; heck even BMW did it straight from the factory. But that does not make it right 100 percent of the time as there have been and could be some serious issues when certain tires are mixed together.

You real world experience is correct that most of the time it is no big deal. My brother used to love the Met ME33 Bias Lazer in the front of his BMW's with almost any brand of Radial in the rear; and he could ride the dog stink out of his bikes.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »
+1...yep, no big deal!
Ran a couple of radial front / bias-ply rear sets for well over 20k miles combined.....
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Viking

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:53:19 PM »
Had never heard about the taboo until quite a few years ago when I changed the front tires on a small car.
The rear tires were bias ply, the new fronts were radial.
That damn thing was squirrely as hell.
Felt like I was in a high cross wind and wouldn't track worth a damn.

Took it in to a local shop, and the mechanic wanted to know who mismatched the tires.
He said it's illegal to mismatch radials and bias ply.
That was the first time I'd ever heard such a thing.
Never gave it anymore thought after that.

This was my only experience with a mismatch, and don't forget it was a car.
No idea what the difference would be on a bike.

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 10:47:39 PM »
I hear the same thing about profiles too. If you run a 60 on the back run a 60 on the front. If you run a 70 series on the front run a 70 series on the back. It makes sense that you would be optimal in canyon carving but is it critical? Nope.
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 04:06:25 AM »
I hear the same thing about profiles too. If you run a 60 on the back run a 60 on the front. If you run a 70 series on the front run a 70 series on the back. It makes sense that you would be optimal in canyon carving but is it critical? Nope.

That one does not fly as bike comes factory with an 80 in the rear and a 70 in the front; most bikes run two entirely different profiles. My bike with its 17" conversion has a 60 in the rear and a 70 in the front and it handles wickedly sweet.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 04:13:24 AM »
I believe that Harley also has ran a bias/radial combo for many years also.

Just make sure the radial is on the front, at least in my experience. Bias front and radial rear: yikes. Was not awe inspiring.

My next set of tires may be the Shinko 011 front and their bias rear, but that will be next year.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 04:20:26 AM »
I believe that Harley also has ran a bias/radial combo for many years also.

Just make sure the radial is on the front, at least in my experience. Bias front and radial rear: yikes. Was not awe inspiring.

Actually I believe that BMW did it the other way around but I could be mistaken; to which my brother loved a bias ply in the front and a radial in the rear on his RT 11XX series bikes.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 08:01:05 AM »
I'm currently running a radial front (Shinko 757) and bias rear (Shinko Tourmaster) with no ill effects.  Scraped a good amount of rubber off the toes of my boots on a ride on Friday.  I had wanted to go with the 757's on both ends, but they didn't have the rear available last year. 

So far, the biggest thing I avoid in tires is any model that has a groove right at the center of the tread.  Too many steel deck bridges and grooved pavement areas around here.  THAT gets squirrelly.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 09:12:28 AM »
Hopefully I'll find a bit of time next week to re-write the post I wrote before the crash on the Azaro dual compound rear I've been testing for Avon GB  ;)
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline DaveO430

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »
I wouldn't be a bit afraid of it. I run a bias rear tire on the front of my goldwing with a radial car tire on the rear and haven't found anyone yet (short of a sport bike) that can hang with me in the twisties.

Offline Viking

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 09:27:49 PM »
I wouldn't be a bit afraid of it. I run a bias rear tire on the front of my goldwing with a radial car tire on the rear and haven't found anyone yet (short of a sport bike) that can hang with me in the twisties.

Did anyone else duck for cover when they read this?
Gonna grab some popcorn and see who bites.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 09:32:14 PM »
Did anyone else duck for cover when they read this?
Gonna grab some popcorn and see who bites.

Not me... If he says he can I'll not call him a liar or a fool....

Lots of big bikes work good with a rear tire on the front as they last so much longer and Dark Siders have been around too long to be completely wrong; it ain't for me but it works.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 09:49:14 PM »
And, there are at least two C10 Connies out there who have darksided on us.  I've considered it too, except that the suggested tire was a bit expensive.  Plus the Pilot GT's were awesome!

Of course, with what I paid for that Venom rear...

We haven't heard from the one CT guy lately.  Last I heard, he'd found a 17" car tire he was using for the 17" rim he had mounted on his connie, but that's been well over a year now...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 01:14:09 PM »
I'm currently halfway through a 17" conversion and currently have a 170/60 roadsmart (radial) on the back and a 110/80 avon roadrider on the front (bias).  I can touch the pegs on an onramp, no issues in the rain either.  I am not recommending this, but I did it and I didn't die.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline medicevans

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 06:26:33 PM »
I'm running a combo ME880 on my C10 right now.  I hate hate hate hate these stupid tires, but I really can't justify to my wife why I need to spend $300 to replace workable tires.  So, until I wear them out, I'm stuck. 

Offline DaveO430

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 07:12:54 PM »
I'm running a combo ME880 on my C10 right now.  I hate hate hate hate these stupid tires, but I really can't justify to my wife why I need to spend $300 to replace workable tires.  So, until I wear them out, I'm stuck.
I know how you feel, I replaced the original tires on my wing with the recommended bridgestones, how anyone can like those tires I will never know. Slick, rough riding, groove following noisy PsOS. I have never been happier than the day I took them off, had to wear them out first though.

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 09:23:59 AM »
Hi all
thanks for all the input.  So from other forums and this one, it  seems the best mixed combo is the radial rear and bias front.  Any other thoughts? 

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 09:38:03 AM »
Hi all
thanks for all the input.  So from other forums and this one, it  seems the best mixed combo is the radial rear and bias front.  Any other thoughts?

I'm of the opinion that if you are going to run a mix of Radial and Bias you would be better off to run a Radial front with a Bias Ply rear. I much prefer the feel of the Radial on the front. The bias ply tires tend to be heavier than the Radials and tend to slow the steering somewhat due to the Gyro effect of the heavier tire.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »
I also very much approve of the radial front. I have rode bias and radial front, big difference.