Author Topic: checking your bike after delivery  (Read 8784 times)

Offline firetruck41

• No pictures means No Posting
checking your bike after delivery
« on: May 21, 2011, 06:57:14 PM »
This is why i'm such a fanatic on maintenance. my connie was delivered yesterday, just looked at her.
today i installed my larrys peg lowers, these are mandatory for us footers. The point i will make is that during all the suspension adjustments, then wiping her down, i noticed that the shaft drive filler cap was half unscrewed. not pissed but dissapointed. Food for Thought guys
2011 connie. silver
corbin seat on order
motorcycle larry lowers.murphys risers
Givi E55 mono-key. passenger peg lowers

Taff

Re: checking your bike after delivery
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:33:20 PM »
This is why i'm such a fanatic on maintenance. my connie was delivered yesterday, just looked at her.
today i installed my larrys peg lowers, these are mandatory for us footers. The point i will make is that during all the suspension adjustments, then wiping her down, i noticed that the shaft drive filler cap was half unscrewed. not pissed but dissapointed. Food for Thought guys

Good catch, now please check the front fender bolts. Mine were so loose the fender nearly came off and jammed the front forks and wheel on my ride home (brake hoses at the rear of the fender were the only thing holding the fender on).

Jon.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:43:36 PM by Taff »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:20:48 PM »
 :yikes:

Offline HndaTch627

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 09:36:35 PM »
don't forget to re-torque the nut that holds the top triple tree down.  I went to take mine out and it wasn't even finger tight, when i mentioned to the tech that did my tire pressure sensors he's like yeah, we've seen a lot of that from other dealers.

Taff

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »
don't forget to re-torque the nut that holds the top triple tree down.  I went to take mine out and it wasn't even finger tight, when i mentioned to the tech that did my tire pressure sensors he's like yeah, we've seen a lot of that from other dealers.

Thanks for the reminder.
Is this issue included in the "bike" information sticky?

Jon.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 06:29:02 AM »
They must have changed the technician who does that work in Japan.  Typically they were so tight that you needed extraordinary means to get it loose. 

Check your headlight aim as quite a few were coming with them aimed at the fender and also that the battery is installed correctly....positive post out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline firetruck41

• No pictures means No Posting
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 06:42:30 AM »
thanks'
2011 connie. silver
corbin seat on order
motorcycle larry lowers.murphys risers
Givi E55 mono-key. passenger peg lowers

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:27:45 AM »
They must have changed the technician who does that work in Japan.  Typically they were so tight that you needed extraordinary means to get it loose. 

Check your headlight aim as quite a few were coming with them aimed at the fender and also that the battery is installed correctly....positive post out.

Yeah the guy that did the fender bolts and header nuts got a spanking and demoted..

It's your bike and your safety that is at stake ultimately.... Go over the nuts and bolts like a fighter jet.

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline robbie

• Tampabay, FL
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 11:03:14 AM »
+1.. mine was so loose it backed all the way out on it's own.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2003 Goldwing, 2002 Goldwing, 2015 F-150, 2018 JK Wrangler, 2002 TJ Wrangler

Offline Rawman

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 04:03:22 PM »
Also the finger tight exaust header bolts.....
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L