Author Topic: Final Bevel Gear Gasket Replacement  (Read 4566 times)

Offline bigpigtx

Final Bevel Gear Gasket Replacement
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:06 PM »
Well, I think I'm gonna finally fix my oil leak.  I got my kit from Murph with the gasket and all the other seals I should replace while I'm in there.  I'm a bit nervous getting this far into it.  I use my Connie for work though so I have to have it done in a day or two.  Are there any online resources other than the PDF service manual I should look for?

Words of advice or luck are appreciated!

(And I know now would be a great time to add the 7th gear if I had the beans.....)

Offline DarkKnight

Re: Final Bevel Gear Gasket Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 02:55:40 PM »
I did mine over a peroid of a couple of months during the winter, so I didn't feel pressured.  But looking back it wasn't that bad. You should have it very close in one long day.  Get your new oil and coolant a head of time.
Were here if you need help.
Good Luck!

Offline ddavid

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 04:20:56 PM »
I did mine in two evenings after work and part of a Saturday. Some tips....
Have enough room. All the parts take up room after they come off.
Bag / label bolts that come off. Nothing worse than getting almost done and finding one bolt left over.  :o
You won't believe how greasy the bottom of the swing arm is. I threw my shirt away when done.
I had the most problem lining up the swing arm to put the bolts in on reassembly. An extra pair of hands helps.

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 04:21:53 PM »
Take it to a car wash and hose it down around all the parts you have to take off. If the crud is heavy a shot of engine cleaner will help. Remember if you use any degreaser the tire will get a little slick.

A good 1/4" ratchet with a couple of extensions can help with the various bolts tucked around the waterpump. Unplug and move the wiring out of the way before attempting to take out the bevel drive.

Razor scraping blades to carefully take off the old gasket material. I used some engine assembly lube, thick and sticky to keep things in place and avoid dry running before the oil pressure gets up. I like to lube the various seals with it as well.

Wrap a layer of electrical tape on the splines for the shifter to keep from cutting the seal when putting back together.

If you don't stop to do any other items it is pretty straight forward. Have the various lubes necessay for the drive splines, swingarm bearings.
Lots of fasteners need a quick cleaning for crud removal and a small tube of silicone is good for keeping the fasteners doing their job. Watch the torque on the bevel case fasteners as they are long and thin. I sprayed brake clean into each hole after cleaning off the old gasket material then followed up with a blast of compressed air.

Actual R&R on the bevel drive only is less than 30 minutes even with a vey detailed cleaning on the mating surfaces and the fasteners.

BTW install the driveshaft and then the swingarm and watch for the small pin that holds it all together.

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »
Oh,
 Read Bermans tips on what to do... he did a nice job typing up the warning areas.

The front end of the shaft has a small little pin. Once you see it, you'll understand how it does its job. Don't lose it or forget about it.

Offline bigpigtx

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »
h,
 Read Bermans tips on what to do... he did a nice job typing up the warning areas.

The front end of the shaft has a small little pin. Once you see it, you'll understand how it does its job. Don't lose it or forget about it.

Do you have a link for that?

Thanks for the advice on the shaft.  After reading all the sections of the service manual that part had me the most confused.  Somebody tell Clymer MORE PICTURES :o

Thank goodness Harbor Frieght had a coupon for a torque wrench the same week the parts arrived!

I may wait till next week since that's the soonest I'll have a full day. 

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
It wasn't that long ago and I can't remember how that little part works.  It looks like 1/8" long piece of 1/8" diameter round stock.  It drops into a hole and there is a ring that holds it out in place. ( I think, I am trying to remember) I never even knew it existed when I pulled mine apart. I took mine apart a diffewrnt way. I undid the four bolts that hold the shaft case and slid it back. Only when I was putting it back I saw the little piece. Oh! thsts what they were talking about.

I can't find my Bergman write up, I must have tossed it thinking, its always online. Does anyone have a hard copy
 for bigpigtx? even a link. Maybe PM MR. Bergman himself.

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »
Another thing I thought of that was helpful, especially water pump area (Bergaman write explains which bolts to leave in, I screwed  this up and took the water pump apart).  Get yourself a piece of cardboard and a marker. draw out the clutch cover and water pump bolt locations in reference these parts and then poke the bolts through the cardboard matching how they look on the bike. This will save time trying to figure which length goes where.

Offline gorbs

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »