Author Topic: Fuel injection retrofit  (Read 30530 times)

gpineau

Re: Fuel injection retrofit
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »
you may want to pressure test the plenum to make sure that your solder joints are sealed properly. Ü

Thanks,  All the joints looked good but to be sure that there are no vacuum leaks I coated the seams of all joints with Permatex RTV. I think it is all good but I will test for leaks the old fashion way using carb cleaner on the joints while it is running.

Regarding the tank.... :-\.  I think it is a lost cause. After 4 more days of soaking in vinegar it all came out black. I took it to the car wash and watch huge chunks of rust come out of the hole where I removed the fuel gauge sensor. That did clean it up a bit but I can still see a rash of rust spots inside. I put fresh vinegar inside and I can see several places where the vinegar is leaking out on the bottom of the tank.  It doesnt surprise me when I first got it i pulled the carbs and found piles of rust in the bowls. It had ben sitting for over 10 years when I found it.
 My only hope is to coat the outside with petrol proof epoxy and even if it worked I wouldnt trust it not to start leaking again. I should go shopping for a replacement.

gpineau

« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
Got the fuel regulator mounted to the side of the tank and it actually fits in next to the battery.

https://youtu.be/_kzEaaSa7V4

gpineau

« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2018, 04:33:27 PM »
I am at the end of the design/assembly of the fuel delivery. I have a plenum, injectors fuel-pump and regulator all finished and installed. Last piece was to test the MAP and temperature sensor.

Now it is time to put together the electronics that controls all this stuff. It is time to put on my electrical engineers hat. I have a hardware design in mind but I have not even begun the software development. In my mind this is where 90% of the effort is to be done and I have been procrastinating too long about getting started. I probably wont post here while I work on those details. But I will be back periodically when I meet major milestones.

As far as posting code. I will not offer up my code to scrutiny and ridicule. My coding style is a my own style and does not suit snobbish engineers but it works well. I think if I am proud of it then i would share the binary for those that supported and encouraged me. (you know who you are) .

Back later.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2018, 06:19:21 PM »
I'm not an engineer or a code monkey but I can offer up ridicule and humiliation with the best of them.  ;D Let me know if you need your spirits lifted.  8)

Check in and let us know how it's going.

gpineau

« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2018, 09:18:29 AM »
The throttle body kept falling off. 

The  thought was to push a piece of the runner into the bottom of the body and hold it in place by pounding a steel pipe into the bottom. Miserable failure.

Ended up making a steel mount that mates the top of the plenum and sealed with a boot. I also added a stiffener between the plate and the frame. Now it is solid and wont move .

gpineau

« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2018, 08:24:02 PM »

I decided to use the Arduino Duo board for the first prototype ECU. It is probably way overkill for this but I it is a versatile board with lots of I/O pins and features I may need. Also I dont want to have to restart when I find that a lesser processor cant keep up. If I am successful and it all fits in a smaller board I can downsize the processor to a cheaper solution but for now I am sticking with https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-due

It ia s 3.3v IC so i will need to level shift all the I/O lines in and out of the board but that is not a major problem.

For injector drivers I am going to use the TI TPIC 46L02 Pre-FET DRIVER and the TPIS2601 Output transistor array.

I will make my binary file available to a few. I will endeavor to make a user interface that is as programmable as possible.
I am thinking now about what user programmable adjustment to make available. Bear in mind I have a job and only do this in my spare time. this is going to take months.

things like,
injector rating in lbs/hr
engine size, cc
number of cyls (injectors)
rated HP
throttle sensor range, min-max
ox sensor (wide or narrow band)
water temp calibration (min-max)
map sensor min-max
learn mode,
tune mode.
sequential timed or batch injection.

Anything else?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2018, 06:13:32 AM »
Your out of my league on this.
What comes to mind though is trigger point, firing sequence, air temp?

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2018, 04:35:04 PM »
I will be getting back to this project as soon as I change the head on my connie. Been a while gathering all the parts.
https://motostuff.shutterfly.com/pictures/250#234

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2018, 06:55:50 PM »
We'll be watching.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:39:00 AM by connie_rider »

gpineau

« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2018, 02:33:00 PM »

Locking per the OP's request...

However, members need to know that if you post something it will be commented on, possibly laughed at, or made fun of.  It's what we do.  If you don't want that to happen, please don't post.
So according to you there is no policing of rude arrogant people who think they are the elite on this forum and can disparage, ridicule and publicly shame other members.

I have a lot to contribute but if there is no one to moderate abusive comments here  then I will not post here again. 

For those that were following this thread, you can contact me via PM and follow my progress on shutterfly.
https://fuelinjectorproject.shutterfly.com/pictures/125
Thanks  to everyone for the suggestions and the comments.

And let's all thank the MAN OF BLUES for helping me see the light.  It’s been fun…NOT!

Offline route66tc

« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2018, 04:09:34 PM »
So according to you there is no policing of rude arrogant people who think they are the elite on this forum and can disparage, ridicule and publicly shame other members.

I have a lot to contribute but if there is no one to moderate abusive comments here  then I will not post here again. 

For those that were following this thread, you can contact me via PM and follow my progress on shutterfly.
https://fuelinjectorproject.shutterfly.com/pictures/125
Thanks  to everyone for the suggestions and the comments.

And let's all thank the MAN OF BLUES for helping me see the light.  It’s been fun…NOT!
Seems like if you request that a thread be locked because you can't deal with the responses to your posts, that you might want to just hush about that thread.  I guess I'm just not smart enough to understand why one would then continue the pain inducing conversation in another thread......unless they think they are the only one that should be talking and everyone else should just listen.  I'm a 50/50 guy.  If I have to listen to you, then you get to listen to me.  One can learn a lot here if they listen more than they talk and most of all......check one's feelings at the door.  So many people running around these days with hurt feelings.  Mercy!  Good luck.....I'm thinking you'll need it.

Offline route66tc

« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2018, 05:33:54 PM »
thank you for your comments, as I am refraining from any commentary relating to the OP's technical prowess, or projects from this point forward. I do feel however, it's necessary to make a point that making posts here is a free exchange, exchange being the operative word, and as such, you open the door from the first key you hit typing the post. If you don't want someone sharing, and saying something to prevent an otherwise costly and problematic experience on your part, well, as Jim said nicely, just don't make the post.
This forum has existed for decades, and the knowledge sharing (accepted or not) has been the staple of intent, without the input of those that have done silly things, and tell others not to repeat their mistakes out of kindness, there wouldn't be much sense in repeating things like oil and tire threads.. we all learn from mistakes, hopefully. When someone doesn't take what is given ( like correct part numbers, methods, and research given for free.. ) and want's to shut 'er down, pout, and whine, well... not much can be said.
I've asked the moderator to refrain from locking a post, just because the O/P gets a bug in his craw, as it's simply a waste of time for all those wanting to learn, (or learn how not to do something).. and we will see what becomes of it.

so, wasting months of time, and many pages of forum space, because of a a perceived feeling on a response that was given really degrades the experience.

dragging this all over here, served no purpose either,
share the information or choose not to.
don't waste peoples time tho, it's really rude. Much more rude than any comment I have made. Just because a thread is locked, doesn't make what was posted dissapear... and i'll add, once locked, it can't be modified to remove content... ;)

Sounds like advice my dad would give.  He was wounded on the front lines in Korea.  One of many from a generation that defined the word tough.

gpineau

« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2018, 01:44:48 PM »
Had some free time today.
Using a shield board for the  injector drive circuit.
Arduino and shield board mated.

https://fuelinjectorproject.shutterfly.com/pictures/126

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2018, 02:41:25 PM »
Glad to see you get back to it.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2018, 06:17:39 PM »
Great.  More progress.

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »
This topic was first created on the v4musclebike forums and duplicated on the zggtr.org forum.

Since the beginning the "project" has created much interest, praise and criticism.

Since the project is not specific to the concours or the v4 muscle bikes I have decided to continue the discussion here in a format that is generic to any bike with carburetors.

http://gpineau.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2&p=2#p2

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2018, 08:46:19 PM »
Will you not be updating this thread?

gpineau

« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2018, 11:22:31 AM »
I will only post major achievements and milestones.

http://gpineau.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2&p=2#p2
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:30:16 PM by gpineau »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2018, 06:51:31 PM »
Thanks, looking forward to your updates.

gpineau

« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2018, 05:37:46 PM »