Author Topic: Question about hydrolock  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Squishman

• Arena
Question about hydrolock
« on: March 26, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »
I don't have any hydrolock issues. I have Steve's overflow tubes.
But just curious: does this dreaded disease happen with a combo bad (or on prime) petcock and a sticking needle?
Or can it happen with just a bad (or on prime) petcock?
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline Mettler1

Re: Question about hydrolock
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »
  Usually both have to fail. If you leave the petcock on prime you are depending on all 4 float neadles to work correctly. Myself I never use prime. Infact I only used the petcock twice in 18 yrs and that was for reserve. I did replace it a few days ago 'cause all this talk about hydrolock me nervous. I have the overflow tubes but really don't want to see them work. Only when they have to.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:06:40 PM »
Both the float valves (well, one of them) and the petcock have to fail (unless the petcock was left on "Prime") for hydrolock to occur.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »
So, lets say you accidentally leave it on prime, but your float valves are in fine working order. Where does the gas go? Or does it just stop flowing at some point?
Todd
Eagan, MN
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 05:57:56 PM »
The needles sHOULD stop the flow; unfortunately as the needles age they lose thier resistance to the fuel pressure, and can be un-seated by the pressure of the fuel. Steve

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 06:09:13 PM »
Are the needles not aluminum? They always were on my  2-strokes (RZ's and RD's).
Steve, did you change them, or do something to them when you had my carbs 15 or so months back?
Not asking you to remember my carbs specifically, but what happens with the full $300 service?
Bike runs like a million bucks, btw!
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »
Are the needles not aluminum? They always were on my  2-strokes (RZ's and RD's).
Steve, did you change them, or do something to them when you had my carbs 15 or so months back?
Not asking you to remember my carbs specifically, but what happens with the full $300 service?

I know the answer to that, magic and voodoo. :thumbs: :rotflmao:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 07:18:20 PM »
So, lets say you accidentally leave it on prime, but your float valves are in fine working order. Where does the gas go? Or does it just stop flowing at some point?
If the float valves are working properly, the gas doesn't go anywhere.  The carb bowls will fill, and then the flow will stop.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 05:09:15 AM »

Todd - the 300.00 service is disassembly, polishing the seats, cleaning (I use an ultrasonic tank now) inspection of all parts, reassembly, installing the 2 minute jet kit, installing overflow tubes, Setting fuel float height then filling and checking / setting fuel level, providing the drain tube system, and shipping back. If the carbs need extra parts, IE needles or orings there's an additional charge of up to 72.00. If your carbs were 300.00 you didn't need the extra parts.
   I do use aftermarket stainless steel needles. The stock aluminum needles will corrode from water, and ethanol / additives can also attack them. Additionally, the needles I'm using have higher spring seat pressure, so they control fuel level better. HTH, Steve

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 05:50:31 AM »
If you are going to get the tubes and the 2 min mod you would be wise in my opinion to get the carbs gone through by Steve. To much work removing them and installing to have to do it right away again and worth the peace of mind IMHO. Having said that I wish I would have done that with mine this winter.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1