Author Topic: A new tire repair kit--from Murph!  (Read 10778 times)

Offline coffee_brake

A new tire repair kit--from Murph!
« on: August 01, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »
This report concerns the EasyRider tire repair kit offered by MurphsKits. I was asked to test the kit on a tire that was near the end of its life but still useable. This kit consists of a small 12V pump that you plug into a cigarette lighter and a few ounces of sealant. I followed the directions to the letter, except where they concerned uniquely automotive applications, and here are my results:

The kit is designed to get a vehicle tire driveable and it did that. I have no doubt that this is a very good kit for any car or truck. It is also quite useful for motorcyclists. The sealant, however, is not a permanent repair, at least not on my motorcycle. But it certainly did well enough that, in a real-world flat situation, I could safely get the bike to a shop even if it took days to get there. It would, however, require more frequent tire pressure monitoring.

First I put a drywall screw into the rear tire. Upon removal, air began hissing from the puncture.

The cap on the bottle of sealant is a valve stem removal tool. With the valve stem out, stick the tubing onto the valve and squeeze it all into the tire. On a motorcycle, you would have to have the bike on the centerstand or some way of holding up the bike. The tire is going to go completely flat with the valve stem out.
The tube is a little short, mine wouldn't allow me to invert the bottle over the stem without crimping the tube. I just had to bend the valve stem while I squeezed, to keep the tube clear.

The tube was impossible for me to pull off once it was on the valve. It was about to tear up the valve stem. I had to break it away from the stem, and then cut it away with a blade.

The pump is pretty standard, no faster or slower than others of its kind. It does pack quite small, that's nice, and the way it screws onto the valve is better than most, wasting less air. It gets quite hot even after a minute's operation, hot enough to burn if you touch any metal part of it. My test pump has done the tire and a few other inflations, it hasn't given any trouble yet.

Of note in the instructions is that the vehicle must be driven within one minute of filling the tire with air. I followed the instructions to the letter, which means I did the repair in full gear (in the GA sun with a heat index over a hundred), threw the pump and tools into a pile, and jumped on the bike to put on the required three miles. This is not very feasible for a real road-side situation, especially since the pump is so hot you can't pack it away. It seems that it would be OK to wait the 2-3 minutes it takes to put on gear and pack away the pump before riding off, but I'm not the product designer.

I did not lose air during the ride, in fact as the tire warmed I gained a couple pounds of pressure. But I lost air after a couple of days and a very tiny amount of sealant would come out of the puncture.
I took the bike camping and put on over 600 miles. Every night I would lose a few pounds of air, and every morning I would use the pump to bring the tire back to pressure. It would not lose any noticeable amount of air during rides and short gas and rest stops. Only when the bike sat for hours would I lose air.

I am interested in what kind of mess I will face when I remove that tire from the rim in the next few days.
Also, the instructions say not to exceed 55 mph with the repair. I know I did a few higher-speed runs with no ill effects.  ;)
2005 Concours, toothpaste blue
1986 VFR700
1999 Bandit 1200

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 07:06:02 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:09:06 PM by knight_mare »

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
Re: A new tire repair kit--from Murph!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:50:02 PM »
The one big down side of these products is you must get them out of the tire and clean the rim once its repaired or replaced as most of the ones I've seen make a mess of the rim. I have seen tires that had Slime left in them for more than a year and the rim was ruined. Just saying.......
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:44:55 AM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:09:13 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
My father had a tire business for 38 years, and can say: fix a flat is JUNK!  Great if your out in the middle of nowhere at night and need a quick fix, but don't wait to get your tires properly repaired.  The plug systems are a temporary repair as well, and will wear out in motorcycle tires and auto tires. 

As for damaging the rim, depending on the composition of the wheel these "fix a flat" repairs generally don't have any rust inhibitors in them, steel wheels will be damaged over time.  On the Connie and most bikes, aluminum is the what used, so shouldn't have an ill effect on the wheel, however I would imagine the TPS sensors would not react well with Slime or Fix a Flat. 

Just remember it's a temporary repair to get you out of a jam! Get your tire PROFESSIONALLY repaired or have it replaced ASAP!!!

Offline coffee_brake

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »
Exactly. This kit I tested is not to keep on the bike for the life of the tire. It's a fast, expedient and safe repair to get to a real shop for a true repair or replacement.

I've plugged so many tires in my mere 12 years of riding that I'm a regular at it. Of them all, two were no good: one leaked air and the the other failed underway, with the classic near-crash results. That was the Concours. Lemme tell ya, pumping up a tire on the roadside in the Southeast in August ain't no joke. I really like how this pump fits in my took kit, it really takes up no more room than the bicycle pump I had been using, and I already had a 12V electricity supply ready for it.

I was happy with the lack of physical effort this kit required, especially if you remember I did this repair in full gear (minus the helmet/gloves) in a heat index of over 100. Now then, when I pull this tire after the National, I'll be very interested in what I have to do to get the rim ready for its new tire....
1986 VFR700
1999 Bandit 1200

Offline Murph

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 09:01:07 PM »
Get your tire PROFESSIONALLY repaired or have it replaced ASAP

In spades...

While it looks like other products that has been around for awhile the chemical make up is different. These kits are supplied in several European vehicles  including BMW and Mercedes sold in Europe ( they don't come with spare tires) including those with TPS sensors. This is for a roadside repair....thats it. 

Jenn,  take some pictures of what the inside of rim looks like when you change the tire. 

thanks for your work
Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Offline coffee_brake

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 04:05:06 AM »
You got it, no problem. Should be going into that wheel this week. Hubby was ill almost the entire time I was gone to the National and so the house and yard are a wreck, but I should have it under control in a couple days and get back into the garage.

The last of the ME880 wore out on this trip, I rode through the Northeast flooding with no tread and rolled into the yard on cords....I'll be changing two tires very soon!
1986 VFR700
1999 Bandit 1200