Author Topic: Air filter replacement.  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Tele130

Air filter replacement.
« on: February 12, 2012, 08:41:58 AM »
Yes, I've cleaned my air filter (twice every riding season).  But I would like to replace it.  I have Steve's 2 Min mod with the modified air box.  This filer seems to be in line with the stock Kawi filter.................
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230738231564?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

This one seems to be more of a "K&N" knock off?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290669048937?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'm leaning toward the stock foam one.  Opinions?
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Re: Air filter replacement.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »
The second one you have pictured is a Uni...cleanable and re-usable...but made of foam, instead of K&N's pleated fabric...a good choice for half the $$$ of a K&N...

Just my .02...
'02 C-10

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »
How long do you plan to keep your bike? The K&N claims a million mile life. I've had one on my truck for 60,000 miles and about 5 years. It still looks good. IMO, foam will eventually begin to deteriorate. My C-10 element had less than 5,000 miles on it ( but was 9 years old) and when I pulled it out, it started falling apart.  :o  I replaced it with a K&N and I'll never have to buy another one.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:47:21 AM »
How long do you plan to keep your bike? The K&N claims a million mile life. I've had one on my truck for 60,000 miles and about 5 years. It still looks good. IMO, foam will eventually begin to deteriorate. My C-10 element had less than 5,000 miles on it (9 years old) and when I pulled it out, it started falling apart.  :o  I'll never have to buy another one.

I just don't know what to say about 9 years and 5k miles...tell us that has changed since you got it...thinking anything would deteriorate after that long...but, then, I have had the K&N in my car for 7 years and 235k miles...it's still fine...if you aren't careful when cleaning a K&N, and use a bristle brush, you can poke holes in the fiber media.  My '88 came to me with a K&N...no idea of the age...
'02 C-10

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »
Oh yeah, it  now has 12,000 and I just  did a valve adjustment. I expect to put another 5-10,000 on this year. It just didn't have a lot of miles.

Best I can tell, the first owner was a Navy guy in Va Bch and was either at sea a lot or just rode it around base. He sold it to the second owner who worked on the same base and then retired to N.FL. He had a collection in N.Fl of about 5-10 bikes, but spent his time on his Goldwing trike or his Sportster (high miles on those-he said the Connie was too hot for Fla and I suspect his wife was having physical problems hence the Trike and Burgman) and this one lived on a maintainer and sat fully fueled. He said he rode it once a month and had a few others. Very eclectic collection.

He was the most anal owner I've ever seen. Every box in his shop was the same, and every label faced the same way. (He was getting ready to move back to Va and was packing and downsizing his fleet. His  shop looked like an ad for "Shops Beautiful"  or a museum. Amazing guy.

I've had a half dozen guys who have had Connie's look it over and all agree that the miles were right. It came to me with a "new" Dunlop 205 on the rear that was rock hard and about 6 years old by the mfg date. The front one was obviously a first replacement 701 (?) that was cupping. Brakes were still relatively new, rotors unscored. I found masking tape on the air filter with an install date and another piece on tool tray about the battery (2006 vintage and still there).

I replaced the tires pretty quickly with the Azaro/Storm combo and now it's about time again. I did the fluids, brake pads, valves, plugs, valve gasket, well seals, all the wear items as pre-emptive maintenance. The battery is coming up, but I haven't had problems - yet.

I ride it every other day or so and I just replaced the OEM seat. I'm a big guy (about 250#) and the old seat was just not holding up after a couple of hours and I was sitting on the pan. The Corbin should fix  that.  Just a nice old bike that is 12 years new.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:10:32 PM »
Nice!
'02 C-10

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 01:47:47 PM »
Starting my 11th yr on the K&N. It goes into the dish washer 4 times a yr, comes out lemon fresh and clean as a whistle. The only problem is the rubber top gasket, that I remove before cleaning and then re-seal it when putting back in the bike.   My $.02.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Tele130

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »
I think the K&N filter will allow too much air flow with Steve's 2 min mod. To make his mod work you have to block off one side of the air box inlet. I reserve the right to be wrong here.  ;D

Doug Colton

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »
I think the K&N filter will allow too much air flow with Steve's 2 min mod. To make his mod work you have to block off one side of the air box inlet. I reserve the right to be wrong here.  ;D
   I have a K&N filter and the 2MM and you basicly have to block off almost all the right side intake. Mine has about a 1/2 inch opening in the right intake after tuning. Works great!!
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »

Well then don't clean it!  ;) K&N Filters work better as they get dirty. I've never bothered to clean mine pass pulling it out once a year and blowing out/off any loose dust and/or dirt.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Tele130

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 07:52:32 PM »
Well then don't clean it!  ;) K&N Filters work better as they get dirty. I've never bothered to clean mine pass pulling it out once a year and blowing out/off any loose dust and/or dirt.

;D. I dont have one yet. Still running the stock foam one. But that's good to know.

Doug Colton

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »
K&N and 2 minute mod work perfect together. I clean mine about once or twice a year and it  never seems to need it. 94k  on it and 12 years old.
My dad used to say: "Buy the good and you will get at least half your moneys worth, buy the cheap one and you got none of your moneys worth.'
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/shopping_cart.php?keywords=filter&sort=3a
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 05:47:51 AM »
I am running the K&N with Steve's 2MM and it works great. My filter is atleast 7 years old and still looks new.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 07:25:48 AM »
 I have seen different bikes need different blockages based on filter, filter oiling, airbox leaks,etc. That's not a problem at all. The bike is speaking and telling you what IT needs, just listen and react accordingly. Even if 1 side of the air intake is completely blocked, theres still more than enough area on the other side to feed the connie. I made 117 hp on mine with one side completely blocked, so a stocker won't have any issues. Steve

Offline Tele130

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 07:34:20 AM »
I have seen different bikes need different blockages based on filter, filter oiling, airbox leaks,etc. That's not a problem at all. The bike is speaking and telling you what IT needs, just listen and react accordingly. Even if 1 side of the air intake is completely blocked, theres still more than enough area on the other side to feed the connie. I made 117 hp on mine with one side completely blocked, so a stocker won't have any issues. Steve

Thanks Steve.  My right side inlet is totally blocked and she runs like a dream.  My concern (or question) is: Will the bike run as if there is an Airbox leak using a K&N or any other filter that is less restrictive (air flow wise) than the stock foam filter?

Doug Colton