Author Topic: aftermarket seat  (Read 6108 times)

Offline red44

aftermarket seat
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
So, I've put about 4 hours a day on in the last few days and have come to the conclusion the stock seat is'nt working. I keep pulling over and getting off, or stand on the pegs to relieve the pain. Up the middle, aft of the boys. This seat hurts. About an hour is all I can handle. Is it the seat or ergonomics? Got Murphs bar risers and knee savers already. Is a Russel's Day Long My savior here? 6 foot, 200 lbs.

Offline red44

Re: aftermarket seat
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »
Would like to be able to do 5-6 hours at a time so I can actually go somewhere and walk once I get there.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:10:03 PM »
Russell day long is good, also Rick Mayer seats are good as well. Check several manufacturers before you pull the trigger.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:29:40 AM »
Ive heard mention that a set of highway pegs helps out alot.  They allow you to move around and adjust your sitting style and re leave the pressure points.

A few  "cheaper" fix's are  airhawk cushions, sheeps wool seat covers, or "Spencers" seat mod with 'spuractor foam'
I was going to buy a Russel until I tried a Corbin seat. I realized that harder was better for me.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »
What's your size? I've got a one year old Daylong that I'm seriously contemplating letting go, but it was fabbed for me, at 6' @ 260 lb.s

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:17:16 PM »
What's your size? I've got a one year old Daylong that I'm seriously contemplating letting go, but it was fabbed for me, at 6' @ 260 lb.s
OP says 6ft 200lbs
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »
For me it was getting the ergos right.  I am 6'4" and anywhere from 280 -300 pounds.  I switched from the newer style seat to the flatter and I think taller 86 seat.  I also found the right seating position with bar risers and different footpegs.  I borrowed and tried the kneesavers and was not a fan.  So I tried the Buell footpegs.  They bolted right up and dropped the pegs almost 2 inches and placed them further to the rear about 2 inches.  I know sounds like it would have cramped up my legs, but it was surprisingly more comfy.  I also use a beaded seat cover.  I can ride about 3 hours straight with no stops whatsoever and get off and feel like I had not been on a bike at all.  And I honestly can't say that about any other bike I have ever ridden.  So it may not be the seat at all and might take a combination of different other options.  Luckily most of the options are cheap enough that you can try them and of it doesn't work out, resell on this forum and try again.

Offline F-106

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 11:06:29 AM »
Bar risers, peg lowering kits do help depending on how tall you are. However, the stock Connie seat is a bit narrow for most riders as well. Therefore your weight is placed on the middle of your butt. It gives you the feeling you are sitting on a 2x4 and this is not the most comfortable riding position. Most of the time the seat needs to be wider to support your hips. Depending on your size it could only be a few inches on both sides. This can be done to the stock seat by a good seat builder that knows what he is doing. Here is a photo of my stock seat widen by 3" on both sides and set back 2". Is it all day comfort .No, but no motorcycle seat is. I can do 4-5 hours at a time before i need a break, and at my age it is the most I do away. Call my good friend Rocky at Rockys seats and saddlebags if this is the way you decide to go. he will fix you up. http://www.rockybags.com/index.html

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:52:08 PM by F-106 »
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline Refted

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
I love the backrest in the pic! I have a Russell Daylong- worth every nickel! ($600)!! 

Offline John Mc

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »
I had severe problems with the stock seat.  Perhaps I am a wooss, but anyway I ended up with a seat like the one currently on ebay.  Wow, it is ugly, but I no longer suffer from numb butt.  You sit a little into it and the sides do provide some support.  I am happy.  The one I have has no name or anything on it and I do not know who made it.  Anyway, look at the one on ebay and give it some thought.  I think another advantage is that I cannot imagine anyone stealing it!
Regards,
John Mc

Offline red44

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 07:19:56 PM »
john you got a link to the one one ebay?
Siska, I cant imagine more  comfort with my feet farther back, unless it is only temperary. I feel like a jockey now, riding a 55 gallon drum.
F-106, I'm interested, but I'm on the east coast, so I have to consider shipping costs in there too. The shape and finnish look great. What size are you?
Snarf, agree. Hyway pegs are on the list too. But the seat is first. Not only getting an irritation, but sharp, shooting pains from the tailbone. I can't see putting my feet out in front helping alone. All my weight will be more on the tailbone. Nice to switch off though.

Offline John Mc

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 07:35:04 PM »
I don't know how to link the ebay seat.  Just go to ebay and type in "kawasaki concours seat."  It will be the one at the top.
John Mc

Offline red44

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »
Would be nice to be able to try out all the options first but that's unrealistic. So I'm relying on recomendations. It's the single biggest $$ purchace since the bike. Again, I'm 6'-200lbs. Long arms and legs. emphasis on comfort over the long haul. My knee/peg dragging days are long gone. Thanks for the imput so far, it's appreciated.

Offline red44

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 07:39:50 PM »
OK John, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Offline red44

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »
I understand the harder seat also. Spent alot of hours on a steel seat on old Cases and Fords. Not sure how to mount one on this thing, lol. But I understand. Had a corbin that was a part timmer on my old GS too. I found the original flat seat the best on it.

Offline F-106

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »
Red44, I am about your size at 6 foot 220. Rock has done a few seats for members here. The shipping I don't think will be a issue for what you are getting. Call rock and talk to him. He is a great guy to work with and you will getting a seat built for you.
Quote from: red44 link=topic=7624.msg92372#msg9237date=1332638396
john you got a link to the one one ebay?
Siska, I cant imagine more  comfort with my feet farther back, unless it is only temperary. I feel like a jockey now, riding a 55 gallon drum.
F-106, I'm interested, but I'm on the east coast, so I have to consider shipping costs in there too. The shape and finnish look great. What size are you?
Snarf, agree. Hyway pegs are on the list too. But the seat is first. Not only getting an irritation, but sharp, shooting pains from the tailbone. I can't see putting my feet out in front helping alone. All my weight will be more on the tailbone. Nice to switch off though.
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 09:13:07 PM »
Red, you say that you're on the east coast, several members here have modified seats, and I'm sure you'll be able to try them out, just
check out the member list locations, or give yours.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline throb

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 06:39:14 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOURING-SEAT-KAWASAKI-ZG1000-CONCOURS-/170807260690?hash=item27c4e7f612&item=170807260690&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Perhaps I am a wooss, but anyway I ended up with a seat like the one currently on ebay.  Wow, it is ugly, but I no longer suffer from numb butt.

If this is what you're talking about, you certainly have the ugly part right!  Looks like it may be a Russell Day Long though?  A couple hundred buck for recovering if it is and you are at least out of 1979 velour!
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline promotive

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 07:35:29 AM »
I am 6'2" and 250lbs. I switched to an early model seat on my 98 and like it much better.

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »
I am 6', 230 lbs. And my custom-cut Canyon Dual Sport Corbin is just the ticket. Corbin's stock cut was too far back, so I had them make it 2.5" closer to the front. I am sitting in there like a horse saddle. Phenomenal. Even better than I was hoping. I got it 2 years ago when I had the stock bars and it was great then too. I have ATV bars now.
The fact that the stock cut sits too far back for me, combined with the hardness of the seat, made for a bad (dangerous) ride.
So, I highly recommend Corbin, if you get the cut right.
Here it is:

Compared with their website:
http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/8694concours.shtml
You can see the difference if you use the back edge of the side cover for reference on both photos.

Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.