Author Topic: Adding foot to kickstand  (Read 9533 times)

Offline kzz1king

Adding foot to kickstand
« on: June 11, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »
I am thinking of tacking a larger pad to my kickstand. Seems like everytime I park on grass I have to throw a pad under it. Has anyone else done this? How big and did it help?
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Adding foot to kickstand
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 07:09:16 PM »
I think if you added a foot to your kickstand, the bike would fall over to the right.   :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:27:18 PM »

Not helpful but quite funny :D
I think if you added a foot to your kickstand, the bike would fall over to the right.   :rotflmao:
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline blade

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:49:54 PM »
I recall that someone added a slightly larger foot to the bottom of the stand. You have to watch that it won't interfere with the left side can.

I also remember that someone used to put a baby or toddler running shoe on the exiting stand. They said that by doing this they did not have issues with it sinking in hot asphalt or soft dirt. They would get a pair for a few dollars and then have a couple years out of them before needing to replace them. 

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:55:24 AM »
I recall that someone added a slightly larger foot to the bottom of the stand. You have to watch that it won't interfere with the left side can.

I also remember that someone used to put a baby or toddler running shoe on the exiting stand. They said that by doing this they did not have issues with it sinking in hot asphalt or soft dirt. They would get a pair for a few dollars and then have a couple years out of them before needing to replace them.

I added a small foot with toes to mine and ended up with clearance issues with the can; by the time I got it ground down to a size that it would clear the muffler all I had left was what looks like a flip-flop for an infant......

I think that the baby running shoe would be a hoot! Go down to the local thrift store and buy a used pair....  :rotflmao:
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:16:09 AM »
I think that the baby running shoe would be a hoot! Go down to the local thrift store and buy a used pair....  :rotflmao:
I'm going to see if my wife's thrift store has a pair.   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Tele130

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:26:49 AM »
I'm going to see if my wife's thrift store has a pair.   ;D

Your wife ownes a Thrift Store?  You just tapped into a new market!!!! :thumbs: ;D
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »
Your wife owns a Thrift Store?  You just tapped into a new market!!!! :thumbs: ;D
Well, she runs it for our church. 

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:41:53 AM »
I will wait for the "booty" pics. Mean while, I mocked up a rectangular plate last night that seems to clear. Will tack it on tonight.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 11:10:16 AM »
There was a COGger out in the Sacremento area that come up with a "design" I have it on my sidestand. IIRC one corner is cut off to avoid hanging up on the centerstand.  If you try something, make sure to check the clearance of the centerstand when the sidestand is up.  A humungous fender washer will also work?

I can take pics of mine when I get home tonight. I might, might even have an extra plate I can get the dimensions off of.

HTH
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 12:19:23 PM »
I taped the pad to the kickstand and lifted it up. Had a mirror on the floor to observe where it hit the centerstand.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline blade

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 10:00:07 PM »

I am probably wrong but it might have been MOB or Millerized from the old forum that did this. The pictures they had at the time stuck in my head as something that I wanted to try

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 07:39:29 AM »
Since I usually can find a hard place to park, at least for the side stand, I got one of these.

http://www.allynair.com/Cycle-Foot.html

I've run a piece of yarn through the hole in the 'heel'.  On the other end I have a loop I put over the opposite hand grip so 1) it's easily picked up while sitting on the bike, and 2) I don't leave the <censored> thing behind!  Fits easily in the fairing pocket I have a disk lock in (why??).
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »
I taped the pad to the kickstand and lifted it up. Had a mirror on the floor to observe where it hit the centerstand.
Wayne

Why don't you just put it on the centerstand so you can check it off the bike?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »
Why don't you just put it on the centerstand so you can check it off the bike?
If it hits the centerstand when both stands are up, that wouldn't help. 

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 04:00:21 PM »
What he said ;D

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 05:27:55 AM »

That's what torq'ed me up..... Never thought about the footie hitting the CS cause it was down; and it did!
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »
I've been pondering some type of spring loaded affair, that aligns the foot along the sidestand axis when stowed, but that folds into position when the sidestand is extended; the foot's 'heel' would catch against the ground, causing it to fold into position.

Essentially, this would be secured to the sidestand by a 'U' bolt or two, on the outboard side, with the majority of the surface area on the outboard side as well to allow for clearances.

I haven't played with this idea yet, however.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 04:48:15 PM »
I got it done. Increased from 2 square inches to 5. Made the pad 2 x2.25. Its close to the centerstand  and I will have to have the sidestand down to deploy centerstand .  Seems to help in the grass.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 05:38:36 AM »
pics or it didnt happen
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."