Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 292705 times)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #400 on: April 12, 2012, 10:41:57 AM »
Ryan, who do we have to lean on at Mama Kaw to get you an 08/09? Is there a rental company in your area that might have one?

@Conrad, Road trip?

The owner here has a connect at Kawasaki Corporate but I can't remember the gentlemans name. I know he's pretty far up the food chain though so I'm not sure he'd appreciate us handing out his email. No offense to you guys at all but giving out emails to people we work with to have you "lean on them" is a bit of a dick move on our part. I think our best bet is to have the owner here call his buddy down there and ask him if we can use the bike just like we've done in the past. Our guy at Kawasaki is super nice and borrowing bikes has never been an issue before as long as they have one there for us to borrow. So, it's not so much an issue of needing to talk him into letting us use it as it is just hoping they have one there for us!

If you guys wanted to road trip out here though, that'd be awesome!

Yeah, there really is a huge difference in the two.  There are lots of subtle differences between the 1st and 2nd gen, but the front fairings are absolutely the most noticeable difference (and yes, I do think the 2nd gen ones are much more attractive, but that is a different topic :P  ).

A different design is going to be needed for the 1st gen.  Unfortunately, it appears that to have a similar 3 point mounting, the fairing would have to be cut in at least one location.

This is true. I also believe a different design is going to be needed for the 1st generation Connies. The Canyon Cage for the 2010-2012 we've built MAY fit but it wouldn't flow with the lines of the bike very well and there may be some fairing modification required. I'm hoping we can find an '08 somewhere local so we can just fit up an entirely new application. Now that we have the basic design figured out it wouldn't take long to adapt it to the 2008-2009 model.

I think you got a winner.

I sure hope so!

Now that there is a final design its time for a drop test.  I would love to see another youtube video of the bars protecting the bike.  If you have to ease it down to the ground incase the mirror might hit that is the test that determins the crashability of these bars. OUTSTANDING design and I wish that we can pre order so once the first batch is done you can just ship them out to us.  If that is possible let us know please.  I also wonder is the 275 just for the front or is that the package price of front and saddle bag bars. :-!

We're definitely getting close to doing tilt and tip-over testing and you can be sure that I'll be taking photos and video for you guys! So stay tuned for that! I really think this design is going to protect the bike well but it's hard to say for sure until we begin doing the drop testing. I'm hoping I can have some footage of tip-overs for you guys as early as this afternoon. I'm trying to get the bar finished and ready to send to our powder coaters by days end so it'll be ready for pickup on Monday, Tuesday at the very latest.

Once the bar is powder coated and we've taken photos for the website and everything I'll start a new, separate thread for a group buy. That way you guys can see the finished product before signing up for a set. I think this would be a good way to go about it because then you guys can get your preorders in while the bars are making their way through our production process. That way, as soon as they're done I can begin shipping them out to you guys! Also, that $275 estimated price is for the Canyon Cage only. That price does not include the small rears. However, keep in mind that those of you who participate in the group buy will get a discount based on how many people participate just like the last group buy we did. Although, I'm not quite sure how much the discount will be for as of yet. I'll have to wait until all material and labor has been assessed and I have a firm MSRP price set first. Also, for those of you interested in the small rears, they will be available through the Canyon Cage Group Buy so if you're thinking of buying them that would be the time to do so!

Anyhow, stay tuned for drop testing video and keep your eyes peeled for the Group Buy thread once these bars are done!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #401 on: April 12, 2012, 10:47:43 AM »
Snip...

The owner here has a connect at Kawasaki Corporate but I can't remember the gentlemans name. I know he's pretty far up the food chain though so I'm not sure he'd appreciate us handing out his email. No offense to you guys at all but giving out emails to people we work with to have you "lean on them" is a bit of a dick move on our part. I think our best bet is to have the owner here call his buddy down there and ask him if we can use the bike just like we've done in the past. Our guy at Kawasaki is super nice and borrowing bikes has never been an issue before as long as they have one there for us to borrow. So, it's not so much an issue of needing to talk him into letting us use it as it is just hoping they have one there for us!

Please tell me that his name isn't Mark?    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #402 on: April 12, 2012, 10:54:37 AM »
Please tell me that his name isn't Mark?    :o

Naw, it isn't Mark. Do you know Mark at Kawi Corporate?
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #403 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »
Naw, it isn't Mark. Do you know Mark at Kawi Corporate?

I don't but some here do and they wish that they didn't.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #404 on: April 12, 2012, 11:18:48 AM »
I don't but some here do and they wish that they didn't.

Ahhh, that's unfortunate. Yea, our guy down there isn't Mark.

I do have some disappointing news, though. Our lead welder who has been working on this project has the day off!  :-\  I'm not sure why he'd have a day off in the middle of a project like this but he does. So, it seems like we may need to wait to do some drop testing. Although, I'm going to see if I can pull one of our other welders off of a separate project so we can get this bar finished up because we're running out of time! I know you guys are really looking forward to some drop videos though so I'm going to do what I can! I'd really like to get drop footage before the weekend so you guys have plenty to discuss while we're closed over the weekend! Stay tuned!

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #405 on: April 12, 2012, 11:36:08 AM »
What's the MSRP on the small rear bars?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #407 on: April 12, 2012, 11:53:05 AM »
What's the MSRP on the small rear bars?

Normal MSRP for the small rears is $175. Although, if you participate in the upcoming Canyon Cage Group Buy you may be able to get a bit of a discount.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #408 on: April 12, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »
Ahhh, that's unfortunate. Yea, our guy down there isn't Mark.

I do have some disappointing news, though. Our lead welder who has been working on this project has the day off!  :-\  I'm not sure why he'd have a day off in the middle of a project like this but he does. So, it seems like we may need to wait to do some drop testing. Although, I'm going to see if I can pull one of our other welders off of a separate project so we can get this bar finished up because we're running out of time! I know you guys are really looking forward to some drop videos though so I'm going to do what I can! I'd really like to get drop footage before the weekend so you guys have plenty to discuss while we're closed over the weekend! Stay tuned!

Say what? I don't think that any of us authorized his day off did we?

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #409 on: April 12, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »
Say what? I don't think that any of us authorized his day off did we?

Psh, I know I sure as hell didn't! Lol!

We just tipped the bike over and I got some interesting photos for you guys. I just need a few minutes to resize and upload them.  ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #410 on: April 12, 2012, 12:24:03 PM »
We just tipped the bike over and I got some interesting photos for you guys. I just need a few minutes to resize and upload them.  ;D

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #411 on: April 12, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »
Psh, I know I sure as hell didn't! Lol!

Well, I hope they work OK because the paint from Colorite is EXPENSIVE!!! :)

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with for the 2007 - 2009 bikes...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #412 on: April 12, 2012, 12:33:34 PM »
I'm not going to read back through all these pages, who's donor bike is that anyway?

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #413 on: April 12, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »
I keep refreshing this thread to see the drop pics like I'm trying to buy concert tickets.  Come on already!! :popcorn:
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #414 on: April 12, 2012, 01:00:50 PM »
Well, we've entered the stage of tipping the bike over and making any final changes to the Canyon Cage! First, we tilted the bike over and let it come to rest on the guards to see where the lower fairing was in relation to the ground and the guards themselves. This position is where the bike is going to come to rest during most low-speed type tip overs where the rider has time to get their feet on the ground while the bike is going over.

As you can see the lower-front portion of the bar is slightly off the ground when the rear guards hit. We're going to make a few minor changes so both bars hit simultaneously. This will lessen the force that each guard must withstand during a tip-over which will make the guards less likely to bend.

Now that we know the bars will protect the bike in super low speed type tip-overs, we wanted to see how the guards would work during a harder spill where the bike "rocks" over that initial impact point. Pictured below is the bike completely on its side. As you can see, the Canyon Cage holds the entire bike up off the ground and the only part to even come close to the ground would be the mirrors which would take a hit in a harder spill like this anyway.

I'm sorry the photo is a bit blurry. I'll get a few more photos once we make the aforementioned changes and tilt the bike over again. As you can see, though, these bars really do offer a great amount of protection. In fact, the second set of photos are a good testament as to why I believe our current Canyon Cage design is better than the design of the Top Blocks. With the Top Blocks, the entire upper portion of the fairing would be in jeopardy if you "rocked" the bike all the way over as we've done in the second set of photos. Although, that's a discussion for another thread.

Now that we've seen how the bars will hit I'm hoping we can go ahead with drop testing once we make the few changes to the lower-front portion of the Canyon Cage. It looks like these bars are really going to hold up well, though!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #415 on: April 12, 2012, 01:08:25 PM »

Is it just me or the anlge of the pic, but did the front bars not even touch the ground in this pic? Just the rear bars keeping her off the ground??  ???

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #416 on: April 12, 2012, 01:10:50 PM »
Is it possible to try it without the MCE rear bars and Kawi rear bags on?? To see what touches first??  :-\

Offline Conrad

« Reply #417 on: April 12, 2012, 01:12:26 PM »

Is it just me or the anlge of the pic, but did the front bars not even touch the ground in this pic? Just the rear bars keeping her off the ground??  ???

No Einstein, it's not just you...   :-*

"As you can see the lower-front portion of the bar is slightly off the ground when the rear guards hit. We're going to make a few minor changes so both bars hit simultaneously. This will lessen the force that each guard must withstand during a tip-over which will make the guards less likely to bend."

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #418 on: April 12, 2012, 01:16:53 PM »
Is it just me or the angle of the pic, but did the front bars not even touch the ground in this pic? Just the rear bars keeping her off the ground??  ???

That's correct. The front-lower portion of the Canyon Cages aren't touching the ground in this photo. As pictured, the rear guard and the swiveled-up peg are holding the bike up. That's why we need to make the change to the lower portion of the Canyon Cage so the cage and the rear guard hits the ground at the same time and hold the bike up.

Is it possible to try it without the MCE rear bars and Kawi rear bags on?? To see what touches first??  :-\

I suppose we could. I could tell you, though, that without our rear guards and the bags on there the peg would hit first and bend up, then the Canyon Cage would hit and the bike would rock over onto the Canyon Cage and end up looking like the second set of photos. As it is, no part of the fairing hits the ground before the Canyon Cage does so removing the rear guards and bags wouldn't do much to change that spatial relationship.

"As you can see the lower-front portion of the bar is slightly off the ground when the rear guards hit. We're going to make a few minor changes so both bars hit simultaneously. This will lessen the force that each guard must withstand during a tip-over which will make the guards less likely to bend."

Awwww! Play nice, Conrad!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #419 on: April 12, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »

Doh, my bad!  :nuts: