Author Topic: FOB id number  (Read 5543 times)

Offline ealldritt

FOB id number
« on: August 23, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »
I recently ordered an addition key fob for my 2008 14 and the packaging was discarded before I could get it registered.  I possibly found part of the packaging and wondered if the number on it was the fob id number I need.  Could anyone let me know what the id number may look like?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: FOB id number
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 04:29:22 AM »
Open up the PDF file (K Tech 20-4 Conrad provided it) in this thread and I think towards the end of the file it shows the packaging with the id number on it.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1560.msg16426#msg16426
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ealldritt

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 10:00:45 AM »
Thanks for the response.  The number was difficult to read but I saw enough to know I don't have the number.  Expensive mistake on my part.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 03:44:19 PM »
Thanks for the response.  The number was difficult to read but I saw enough to know I don't have the number.  Expensive mistake on my part.

Well, you weren't the first nor will be the last to make that mistake.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline clogan

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:28:01 AM »

Is there a solution, other than purchasing yet another fob?
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 09:18:33 AM »
silly question but is the FOB ID inside the fob somewhere as well ??

Has anyone taken one apart?
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 09:36:33 AM »
Nope, not inside. And yes, many have taken it apart to change the battery.

The fact of the matter is that the encryption number is burned into the wafer when it is made (just as there is an ID number in all Intel processors, for example) but because it is encrypted, there is no way to read it. So the manufacturer (Mitsubishi I believe) attaches that number, which they know because they burned it into the silicon in the first place, to the packaging that the fob is packed in. The idea being: open the package, read the number and plug it into the KDS software, then toss the package and the system is secure. The algorithm is a 140 bit encryption, not likely to be broken by anything anyone has lying around; the 'rule of thumb' is that it would take one year of super- computer time for each bit of encryption used beyond 80 bits.

KiPass, which is really the Mitsubishi 'MISTY' system is actually quite secure.... even from owners suffering from the 'I lost my only fob' syndrome. I get e-mails all the time asking me if my by- pass will start a C-14 without a fob, then asking me for the 'way around' KiPass and the unfortunate truth is that there is not a way around it, at least not that would cost less than 10 brand new C-14's.

All C-14's are sold with two fobs. If a dealer says otherwise, that dealer is mistaken and they have (or had) the other fob somewhere. If one buys a C-14 used, with only one fob, the first thing to do is to buy another fob and get the bike coded to recognize it.

Just reiterating this as a Public Service Announcement.... again, 'cause there are always new owners and it is often a nasty surprise to them.

Brian

silly question but is the FOB ID inside the fob somewhere as well ??

Has anyone taken one apart?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »
Isnt it only the 08/09s that had two active fobs from the factory?

The 10 onwards have one active and one passive only don't they ?

(and the Passive ones can be cloned without need for a FOB ID number)

All C-14's are sold with two fobs. If a dealer says otherwise, that dealer is mistaken and they have (or had) the other fob somewhere. If one buys a C-14 used, with only one fob, the first thing to do is to buy another fob and get the bike coded to recognize it.

--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 10:29:40 AM »
Yes, two RF fobs on the Gen.1 bikes, then one RF and one RFID on the Gen. 2 bikes.

As an aside, there are actually two independent parts to KiPass, the KiPass ECU, under the saddle, is the main, base unit. The other section is the RFID system located in the ignition switch housing; they are separate, do not interact and either can authenticate the main ECU and allow the bike to be started.

As to the cloning, I remember something about that but honestly, cannot recall the details. I <believe> it is not MISTY and may well use a simpler system. ?? Sorry but this is at the fringes of my knowledge of KiPass. Besides, as the original Kawasaki KiPass passive fob is something like $35, there is little point although a cloned fob would not require the bike be programmed, so that would be less expensive of course. Plus the ign. housing unit uses a one- write system with six slots; once they are used, they cannot be replaced so a clone would have the advantage of not using another slot. Although in actual practice, this does not seem to be a problem :-)  .

Brian

Isnt it only the 08/09s that had two active fobs from the factory?

The 10 onwards have one active and one passive only don't they ?

(and the Passive ones can be cloned without need for a FOB ID number)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »
! No longer available

Yes, two RF fobs on the Gen.1 bikes, then one RF and one RFID on the Gen. 2 bikes.

As an aside, there are actually two independent parts to KiPass, the KiPass ECU, under the saddle, is the main, base unit. The other section is the RFID system located in the ignition switch housing; they are separate, do not interact and either can authenticate the main ECU and allow the bike to be started.

As to the cloning, I remember something about that but honestly, cannot recall the details. I <believe> it is not MISTY and may well use a simpler system. ?? Sorry but this is at the fringes of my knowledge of KiPass. Besides, as the original Kawasaki KiPass passive fob is something like $35, there is little point although a cloned fob would not require the bike be programmed, so that would be less expensive of course. Plus the ign. housing unit uses a one- write system with six slots; once they are used, they cannot be replaced so a clone would have the advantage of not using another slot. Although in actual practice, this does not seem to be a problem :-)  .

Brian
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 11:05:19 AM »
Yeah, if that works, I would assume it is less expensive than buying one from Kawasaki and then having the bike programmed to read it.

It should also be possible to clone the RFID portion of an RF fob also.

Not really a fan of using a passive fob myself but they can be almost invaluable as the last fob available because they can be used to code new fobs to the bike, including RF fobs.

Brian

! No longer available

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 11:09:38 AM »
Whilst we're talking keys and things I just recently ordered a spare key (so I could clip it to my jacket) by submitting a photograph.

The guys I used in the UK (Im sure you guys have similar services)  were

https://keysinthepost.com/

Yeah, if that works, I would assume it is less expensive than buying one from Kawasaki and then having the bike programmed to read it.

It should also be possible to clone the RFID portion of an RF fob also.

Not really a fan of using a passive fob myself but they can be almost invaluable as the last fob available because they can be used to code new fobs to the bike, including RF fobs.

Brian
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »
News to me- what a slick idea!

Brian

Whilst we're talking keys and things I just recently ordered a spare key (so I could clip it to my jacket) by submitting a photograph.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 03:05:22 PM »
and a very good reason not to leave keys(house/bike/car)  visible in pictures posted publically

News to me- what a slick idea!

Brian
--

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 03:06:33 PM »

Never heard of it. Might exist in the big city. Keep in mind we here in the colonies barely pass as civilized society.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 03:07:40 PM »
and a very good reason not to leave keys(house/bike/car)  visible in pictures posted publically

:yikes: good point!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 03:51:25 PM »

Scary stuff, borrow someone's key for a moment, take a photo of it with your phone, bam.  Of course, that type of thing (tracing, photos, putty) is one reason RFID security was added to keys in the first place :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »
Scary stuff, borrow someone's key for a moment, take a photo of it with your phone, bam.  Of course, that type of thing (tracing, photos, putty) is one reason RFID security was added to keys in the first place :)

It applies equally to house keys (which dont have RFCID) .

Was watching YT video recently where they were duplicating house keys using a CAD program to map the key to a Printing program  and a 3D printer although you could equally just use a dremel and a blank, which are easily available

Apparently there are (in the US although no reason why the UK is any different ) over 90% of homes have keys from 2 manufacturers

NB they even managed to make working keys by taking pictures of keys on coffee shop tables using a zoom camera from an window over the street
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 07:14:42 PM »
Yo', you be passin' Gary?

Brian

Never heard of it. Might exist in the big city. Keep in mind we here in the colonies barely pass as civilized society.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 07:19:04 PM »
Yeah but then there are the layers of security: a copper / zinc layer (gliding metal), then a lead layer, and sometimes a steel layer. Not to mention the alarm system and dogs, all tough to get around.

It is not that robbery does not work, it is just that you have to want it pretty badly. Then again, we are mere colonists and not refined like the 'mother ship' which has dispensed  with the copper and lead layers.

;)

Long ago and far away, I knew a gentleman who loaded 38 special wadcutters with hollow bases backwards. Kinda' looked like a flying ashtray from the front. He called them PWS: Planet wrecker specials.

Brian

It applies equally to house keys (which dont have RFCID) .

Was watching YT video recently where they were duplicating house keys using a CAD program to map the key to a Printing program  and a 3D printer although you could equally just use a dremel and a blank, which are easily available

Apparently there are (in the US although no reason why the UK is any different ) over 90% of homes have keys from 2 manufacturers

NB they even managed to make working keys by taking pictures of keys on coffee shop tables using a zoom camera from an window over the street