Author Topic: This thing RIPS  (Read 9014 times)

Offline Coomers

Re: This thing RIPS
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 06:29:35 AM »
I'm considering updating my 08 but probably not to a new one, what year was it that Kawasaki updated the linked Brakes so they worked much better?

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 06:48:23 AM »
I'm considering updating my 08 but probably not to a new one, what year was it that Kawasaki updated the linked Brakes so they worked much better?

2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 04:10:47 PM »

Turbojoe is correct, but I wouldn't necessarily say "worked much better", they supposedly work exactly the same (the design, pump, sensors, principal of operation, parts, etc are the same), just with a software tweak for less linking (from what people have said, less rear brake when operating the front lever, at least in the "low linking" mode; not sure if the "high linking" mode changed at all).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 05:46:07 PM »
My Indian don't have linked brakes...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 05:50:59 PM »
Flintstone brakes?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 05:59:07 PM »
Flintstone brakes?

When you link those, you have to tie your feet together...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 03:45:48 AM »
 ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 06:20:43 AM »
What are you smiling at?  :battle: :rotflmao:   Actually the brakes on the Roadmaster are very good indeed, especially the rears and will darn near stop you on a dime.  Hey, at least I have cruise control.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 08:47:43 AM »
You need to trade your sword for a wiffle ball bat. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
Sorry Jim, I gotta' go with Jimmymac on this one: that stuff about the cruiser being fast, powerful and having good performance was passable but stating that the REAR brake will stop the bike on a dime..... well, that one is kinda' around the bend methinks. If you are not careful, you are going to find yourself reporting to us how you beat locomotives in a standing- start race.... even the ones that were only pulling 20 or 30 loaded railcars.

:rotflmao:

Brian

You need to trade your sword for a wiffle ball bat. ;D

What are you smiling at?  :battle: :rotflmao:   Actually the brakes on the Roadmaster are very good indeed, especially the rears and will darn near stop you on a dime.  Hey, at least I have cruise control.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 10:03:19 AM »
The rear brake on the Indian feels stronger in braking power than the front.  One of the surprising facts about this bike considering how much it weighs empty..roughly 900lbs dry weight, and it actually stops the bike in short order.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2017, 11:40:50 AM »
Cruisers have always had more effective rear brakes than sporty bikes. But I still have to give you some grief, Brother. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »
It's what I'm here for... ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
The rear brake on the Indian feels stronger in braking power than the front.

That, alone, is scary.  The rear brake contributes so little to effective HARD stopping, that depending on it is a disaster waiting to happen.

One of the surprising facts about this bike considering how much it weighs empty..roughly 900lbs dry weight, and it actually stops the bike in short order.

I suppose "short order" is very relative.  900 pounds DRY isn't going to stop anywhere near as quickly using the rear brakes as using the front brakes... it is just physics.  Under panic/hard braking, most of the weight immediately shifts to the front wheel and the rear brakes will either lock the rear wheel because there is no load on it (contributing to a low-side going-down) or with ABS it will just prevent the rear wheel from locking but be very underpowered (unless the brakes are linked to the front).  This is primarily why linked brakes came on the scene in the first place, because of so many people trying to use the rear brakes to stop the bike with no or little front brake.

But you know all this already, so what'cha talkin' bout???!!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2017, 04:24:46 PM »

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 07:27:32 PM »
The rear brake on the Indian feels stronger in braking power than the front.  One of the surprising facts about this bike considering how much it weighs empty..roughly 900lbs dry weight, and it actually stops the bike in short order.

That, alone, is scary.  The rear brake contributes so little to effective HARD stopping, that depending on it is a disaster waiting to happen.
........blah blah blah blah blah blah .......I suppose "short order" is very relative.............blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.......
But you know all this already, so what'cha talkin' bout???!!

I could be wrong, but I beleive he's talkin' 'bout dis:

{Motorcycle Consumer News} Concours 14: (ABS enabled) 60 to 0 mph (97 to 0 km/h) braking distance of 127.8 ft (39.0 m)  :(

{Cycle World} Indian Roadmaster: (ABS status unknown but probably on{?}) 60 to 0 mph (97 to 0 km/h) braking distance of 125 ft (38 m)  :)

Let's see how does that awful expression go again?....Oh yeah, "I'm not taking sides here boys, I'm just sayin'..."  :stirpot:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2017, 09:20:34 PM »
I could be wrong, but I beleive he's talkin' 'bout dis:

{Motorcycle Consumer News} Concours 14: (ABS enabled) 60 to 0 mph (97 to 0 km/h) braking distance of 127.8 ft (39.0 m)  :(

{Cycle World} Indian Roadmaster: (ABS status unknown but probably on{?}) 60 to 0 mph (97 to 0 km/h) braking distance of 125 ft (38 m)  :)

There is no question that the stopping distance measurements above are not Concours front brakes only vs. Roadmaster rear brakes only.

Knowing they are certainly using front brakes and ABS, that is still extremely impressive for such a large/heavy bike.  But if you want to smile- Roadmaster 0 to 60 in 5.2 seconds, Concours 2.91 seconds.  :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:39:47 PM by maxtog »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2017, 04:13:11 AM »
Max, the Roadmaster has ABS so I'm not too worried about them locking up and high siding me.   It's not scary at all and I use both sets of brakes (you've heard that from me many times concerning the C14).  I am totally in love with ABS (C14 spoiled me in that regard).  Also not enamored with linked brakes which the Roadmaster does not have.

It seems I've hijacked this thread somewhat, but we're all friends here.  I love the C14 and still do but my style of riding has changed over the years.  I don't need to have 2.29 seconds less on acceleration.  I'm looking more for comfort now.  However, the Roadmaster does not have warp speed capability as the revs go up.

Another thing I've come to enjoy is the integrated cruise control.  It's the best I've seen on any vehicle I've ever owned.

For someone beginning their journey in sport touring, it's very hard to beat the C14 in value in just about every area.  It's acceleration, front braking, long distance cruising, and accessory capability are amazing to say the least.

I don't regret one minute owning the C14.  It's been an amazing bike and very very reliable.  Few glitches here and there but we got through them.   

This forum has been invaluable to me and many others.  I love seeing new blood on the bike.  I wish that Kwackers would update it instead of just changing paint colors.  They'd sell more bikes and would retain more riders.

And Gary, I've come up behind many an HD seeing that bike shake at idle.  I couldn't stand that and the Indian doesn't do that at all.  I bought my Indian unridden just like the C14 and haven't regretted a single second on either bike so far.   And I'm not using Flintstone power either..... ;) ;D

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2017, 09:46:11 AM »
....but we're all friends here...

AAawwwww.... :'(  :grouphug:

Well, that just shut down my  :stirpot: efforts.
      Dang V'Jim, either with the swift sword, or the touchy-feely velvet glove you can stop thread drift in it's tracks. Those are good brakes.  :)

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »
The Indian bikes look good, too.  I'm usually not a fan of that whole style, but Indian is an exception.

Our c14 rear brakes work much better with a set of Vesrah pads.  Way more feel.  I believe mine were 28.00, on ebay.