Author Topic: Supercharged Sport Tourer?  (Read 11169 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Supercharged Sport Tourer?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 05:43:03 PM »
This could be interesting, but keep in mind what I often see labeled as "Sport tourer" isn't really a sport tourer.  It is just a sport bike (often with chain drive) that is more upright that they slap on some luggage and a semi-fixed windscreen.  I am skeptical it will be a REAL sport tourer, like the Concours- with large alternator, shaft drive, full instrumentation, electric windscreen,  heated grips, risable handbars, large fairings, extra detail to wind, heat, and vibration control, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »
 Where is the paparazzi when you need them.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline works4me

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:03:20 PM »
This could be interesting, but keep in mind what I often see labeled as "Sport tourer" isn't really a sport tourer.  It is just a sport bike (often with chain drive) that is more upright that they slap on some luggage and a semi-fixed windscreen.  I am skeptical it will be a REAL sport tourer, like the Concours- with large alternator, shaft drive, full instrumentation, electric windscreen,  heated grips, risable handbars, large fairings, extra detail to wind, heat, and vibration control, etc.

If the pictures I’ve seen are indeed of the new ST,
you’re gonna hate it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »
If the pictures I’ve seen are indeed of the new ST,  you’re gonna hate it.

Being the pessimist I sometimes am, it wouldn't surprise me.   And in which case the question would then be, would some "non-real ST" blown "ST" be what is destined to replace the C14?  But let's hold that question until we see what comes.

I personally predict they just can't resist ruining a good thing by replacing it rather than evolving it.  (Possible examples- replacing large analog tach/speedometer with small, wimpy digital readouts is not an improvement;  shorting the frame is not an improvement; going all hyper-angular styling is not an improvement, abandoning shaft drive is not an improvement).

Now, if you take the C14 mostly like it is, plop in a blown 1 liter, we could have more performance, longer range, better fuel economy, and less weight to boot...  keep tank size, keep the analogs but add a larger, more functional, color display, add cruise, all LED lighting, keep the fantastic warranty, transmission, and final drive, I might be salivating.  But silver please, not black :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline pacman1

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 10:06:25 PM »
This video certainly caught my attention, but I too suspect it'll be more sportbike-like.  Perhaps even a supercharged ZX14.

But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a Blower Concours.
pacman
10 C14

Past bikes: 00 Blackbird, 99 ZRX1100, 93 ZR1100, 92 ZR550 Zephry, 90 CB1, 75 CB550F

Offline O.C.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 04:53:21 AM »
The cats out of the bag ....its a H2SX which is basically a Z1000SX type bike witha Supercharger making a stated 200 bhp.  Plus a a TFT dash,, sat nav functionality, electric screen, heated grips, media connectivity and keyless ignition.

Z1000 SX and Versys will remain. GTR will go as it doesn't meet Euro 4 regulations

The H2SX will cost 20K base and approx 23K fully loaded

It looks nice and seems to have chain drive

CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:02:19 AM »
If it doesn't have cup holders, I'm not interested.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 07:08:56 AM »
How soon they forget when they turn to the darkside.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
 :rotflmao:   Quite!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:57 AM »
If it doesn't have cup holders, I'm not interested.

Nor any provision for a hip flask Jim   ;) 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 01:15:30 PM »
 :yikes:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 02:04:18 PM »

:thumbs: I think you hit the nail on the head Max.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 02:49:40 PM »
The cats out of the bag ....its a H2SX which is basically a Z1000SX type bike witha Supercharger making a stated 200 bhp.  Plus a a TFT dash,, sat nav functionality, electric screen, heated grips, media connectivity and keyless ignition.

Z1000 SX and Versys will remain. GTR will go as it doesn't meet Euro 4 regulations

The H2SX will cost 20K base and approx 23K fully loaded

It looks nice and seems to have chain drive

So it won't be a sports tourer, it will be a small wheelbase, chain-driven standard with some accessories.  Fail.  Where are you seeing this info?

GTR will go as it doesn't meet Euro 4 regulations

Will it disappear in Europe or everywhere???  This could explain why the GTR disappeared on the EU site but not the USA/other sites.  I also noted they are calling the ZRR1400 a "sport tourer", which it is not (not even close), and saying it is Euro 4 compliant.  How can the ZZR14 be Euro 4 and the GTR 14 not?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »
  How can the ZZR14 be Euro 4 and the GTR 14 not?

Wasn't the ZZR14 upgraded changed in 2012 in displacement AND throttle by wire, etc. ?

All I can find about the new supercharged bike (other than the video) is this:
Quote from: VisorDown
The Balanced Supercharged engine shown at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2015 was similar to the H2’s 1000cc four-cylinder but featured a clever new supercharger design. It used variable intake vanes to alter the airflow into the supercharger, with the intention of increasing low-end torque and efficiency rather than going for out-and-out power like the H2.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 07:30:18 PM »
Wasn't the ZZR14 upgraded changed in 2012 in displacement AND throttle by wire, etc. ?

I see nothing that mentions throttle-by-wire.  But even if it had that, it shouldn't affect emissions or mileage because it already had computer-controlled secondary throttle plates, just like the C14.  And the small displacement bump would hurt emissions and mileage, not help.

Incidentally, until they "upgraded" in 2012, it didn't even have two fans (the C14 did in 2008) or a slipper clutch (the C14 did in 2008) or traction control (the C14 had it in 2010).

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 10:42:14 AM »
They bored it out and gave it 50 extra HP.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »
They bored it out and gave it 50 extra HP.

Both of which make it more difficult to obtain EURO 4 compliance.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »
Well here it is: https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-kawasaki-h2-sx-sport-tourer-debut

Chain drive, which is disappointing of course but pretty much as expected. For those that use their bike as a
daily commuter and an occasional  touring bike I guess it's not that viable. I was thinking it's still in the running
as a replacement bike for my C14 when mine runs out of warranty in 2021 but maybe not. They didn't mention
anything about increased electrical power for accessories which is definitly one of he C14's strong points. For me
it's still in the running (although the new Honda 'wing looks good too) because of they way I ride. I'm either on a trip or it sits.
I might go on 3 day rides a year.
I usually have to add new tires and change oil etc before any trip, so adding a little chain maintenance before leaving
is not that big of a deal, especially since I'd be going on a trip with more power, about the same torque, better fuel mileage
(reportedly) and almost 200 lbs less weight. Time will tell. I'm getting on in years, so I may even quit riding by then?  :-\  :-[  :(

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 01:48:19 PM »
I see nothing that mentions throttle-by-wire. 

Quote from: asphaltandrubber.com
...Most notably added to the Kawasaki ZX-14R is the addition traction control, and ride-by-wire throttle control system....

Is "ride by wire" the same as "throttle by wire"? I'm not sure, but it is what made me think it is throttle by wire and would need a reflash to change
throttle settings which was why I was under the impression it met euro 4 standards... but unlike others here, I'm wrong a lot.  :(
I guess a shop manual could tell us, but I'm not buying one. I'm sort of losing interest at this point.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2012-kawasaki-zx-14r-zzr1400/