Author Topic: seeking advice on mounting a radar detector...how do you have yours mounted?  (Read 5758 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
in Canada where radar detectors seem to be outright illegal.

And VA/DC.  How did I get so lucky.  I didn't realize we were the ONLY state left.
Oh, I see you liked my link :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
You really ought to put an Easy Boys! after suggesting someone like your link..... it is just decent etiquette. :-)  And just for the record, I have never had any opinion or even though about your link at any time, past or present; put simply, I just do not care.  ;D

Actually, I did not look at your links but now see that I did duplicate one; hey, better too many links to the same place than none, right?

I though there were one or two other states that 'forbade' radar detectors in addition to VA..... WA perhaps? Also, they used to be illegal everywhere in the US in trucks over 9 ton if memory serves, though of course that does not really matter on a motorcycle forum.

Just as an aside, I would think that if someone or some organization were willing to pursue it, any and all of those laws could be struck down; radar detectors are passive devices and we (those of us in the US) can 'listen' to any frequency we care to to the best of my knowledge. Just as TX was stopped from ticketing persons flashing their headlights at other motorists as <perhaps> a method of communication was stopped as unconstitutional. But again, it would take some fairly deep pockets to get to the end of that string of legal steps.

But there are undetectable radar detectors if one really wanted to use one in a prohibited location, and as long as it was well covered, there would be no probably cause to take the bike apart to look for one in the first place. Though some places, Canada specifically, does seem to have some rather nasty penalties to merely possessing a radar detector so caveat emptor, squared I think.

Brian

And VA/DC.  How did I get so lucky.  I didn't realize we were the ONLY state left.
Oh, I see you liked my link :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
I though there were one or two other states that 'forbade' radar detectors in addition to VA.....

I thought so too, which is why I researched it and was surprised.   I suppose with laser and such, all the remaining states just gave up... except VA.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

Laser falls in a very different category because light is not regulated (at least not yet) by the Federal Gummit (FCC). That said, I do believe some states have made it illegal to use laser jammers, which of course are most certainly not passive devices. That said, in the tests I have read, they are very efficient and there is nothing in place, again perhaps yet, to detect them. Good laser jammers are expensive though and so that alone may keep the problem from becoming large enough for any state to actually do much about them. And BTW, that is all that fixed LEO's seem to be using these days, radar is reserved for when the LEO vehicle is moving, so laser jammers really are effective, at least in this area.

I just feel I have to mention though that the combination of hard saddlebags and gray hair seems to ward off tickets anyway. There is no doubt in my mind that now, in my old age and with an old man's motorcycle (C-14, OldWing, etc.) I am not going nearly as fast doing 80 MPH as when I was young and riding sport bikes at 80 MPH. Just part of the way the world seems to work.

Brian

I thought so too, which is why I researched it and was surprised.   I suppose with laser and such, all the remaining states just gave up... except VA.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
... I stand corrected.  Of course a radar detector has to send out a ping.  But yes, fabulously low power. 

I tend to ride faster than ever these days ... 80mph on the C14 is not s fast as 60mph was on an RD350 with DG chambers and stingers.  Gray hair on counts once you are stopped.  Although it *does* seem to help.

Not lookin at no links right here.  Easy Boys!   

dat
sax
man
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
I tend to ride faster than ever these days ... 80mph on the C14 is not s fast as 60mph was on an RD350 with DG chambers and stingers.  Gray hair only counts once you are stopped.  Although it *does* seem to help.

I can confirm that it does help :)

Offline B.D.F.

Being old and speeding: I have personally been sent on my way after having been caught doing more than enough over the limit to get written up. Both local LEO's and one State Trooper. Two of the local stops occurred at night, in the fall, and both officers were genuinely concerned for our safety, one because there were some ice patches around and the other because the particular road we were on was heavily crossed by 'forest rats' and they may have been in rut, which makes them even stupider than usual. Anyway, I am absolutely, positively sure that every single one of these instances would have resulted in pen put to paper when I was 20 yrs. old.

I would say that I am not sure what causes this but certainly, I am less reckless in my old age than I was as a kid, so perhaps the LEO's know this and compensate. ?? My adult speeding, while less than when I was a kid, I absolutely more controlled and used with a lot more caution and regard for safety. It is one thing to do 80 MPH on the highway but entirely another to do so through a set of green stop lights on a secondary road (regardless of the actual speed limit of the road).

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Just remember...stoplights timed for 35 are also timed for seventy.    8)

Offline kzz1king

I am old. Maybe I don't need the detector!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline B.D.F.

Yeah but my resistance to flying through intersections is the idiot that blows the red light on one side or the other. Or the idiot that think 'stop on red and go when safe' means 'turn right as fast as you can, whenever you want'. Like the old Honda sticker said 'Stupid hurts', and it hurts a lot sooner and often more on a motorcycle.

We have some secondary roads around here with stoplights but they are 4 lane roads with a speed limit of 50 and traffic often doing 65 or more; I never, ever speed through those intersections and often slow below the speed limit if I cannot see far enough down each side of the road crossing the one I am on. Self preservation is a powerful instinct in some, and I be one 'o dem. :-) 

"If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you two guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the ****ing car."
-Winston Wolf

Brian

Just remember...stoplights timed for 35 are also timed for seventy.    8)

Offline kzz1king

I read and found Bluetooth transmitters that can be plugged into a radar detector.  I wonder how it would work to have it paired with the phone. If I could listen to maps or music on the phone and have the radar buzz in? I guess it works well with a sena but I don't want to go that route.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
The "old" Sena's, like the ones I just bought new a few years ago, can only link to one device at a time.  Extremely annoying- I can either talk on the intercom, or change modes manually and listen to the phone/music.  Supposedly this is somewhat fixed in newer models, so if you go that route and expect to link to a yet another device (radar detector), do some good research first (and let us know).

Other than that limitation, and the non-replaceable (AKA "built in obsolescence") battery, the Sena stuff is pretty nice.  Very good sound quality, very good range, good battery life, reliable.  Oh, the battery low indicator gives maybe a 30 second warning- just enough to tell someone "crap, bye"... that could be better.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
\
Apparently they (radar detector detectors) are used successfully in Canada where radar detectors seem to be outright illegal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_detector_detector

Brian

Yes they do.

We took a van of guys to go fishing in Canada. Speeds of 50 to 70 kph made one of the guys absolutely bonkers as someone had taught him how to calculate speed. He reaches down under his seat and pulls out the radar detector. Got tagged ....not for speeding but for having a detector. After the OPP officer discussed it with him he gave us the option of emptying the van and the trailer or handing over the detector. Once we got the driver to give it up the Officer had him walk to the front of the van....place the detector in front of the driver's side tire and instructed him to get back in and pull forward. Once we got the ticket and cleaned up the crushed detector (no littering in Ontario) he waved good bye and told us Happy Fishing.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Mine hides itself so the OPP cant track it.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle