Author Topic: 3D Printed Spitfire  (Read 2381 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
3D Printed Spitfire
« on: December 15, 2017, 12:24:31 AM »
Not sure if I'm more impressed by the  quality of the scale Spitfire or the quality of the drone footage

! No longer available

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline O.C.

Re: 3D Printed Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 04:36:19 AM »
WOW...absolutely amazing Mikey
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:52:08 AM by O.C. »
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 06:02:00 AM »
That is impressive.

I was also impressed by the excellent video taken by the drone flying with it.

BTW, not sure what is going on but often the original video link to YouTube is missing and there is a very small text message that says 'no longer available'. But that text itself is a hyperlink that brings me to YouTube and plays the video you originally posted. Kinda'  odd but it works. ??

Brian

Not sure if I'm more impressed by the  quality of the scale Spitfire or the quality of the drone footage

! No longer available
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:22:57 AM »
utoobe changed somthing so you can't post vids anymore

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 07:56:54 AM »
aaye I get that as well, there's a seperate thread about it somewhere, I'm sure Max will be along in a moment to provide the requisite link ;)

Did you click though to the P38 they have done as well?

That is impressive.

I was also impressed by the excellent video taken by the drone flying with it.

BTW, not sure what is going on but often the original video link to YouTube is missing and there is a very small text message that says 'no longer available'. But that text itself is a hyperlink that brings me to YouTube and plays the video you originally posted. Kinda'  odd but it works. ??

Brian
--

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 11:51:15 AM »
utoobe changed somthing so you can't post vids anymore

yep, they changed a bunch of the old format, much to many peoples dismay...
we used to be able to ditch the "s" from the address (httpsxxxxxx) and the vid screen would be visible in a posting, no more I guess.... leaving the "s" in there at least leaves a place to click to nav to the link...
like...

http://youtu.be/AHRgleGV-1o

the biggest bummer Utoob did, was change the format used for "casting" to wi-fi enabled TV's sets, like my 3-1/2 year old 55" Vizio bigscreen... that came with a Utoob link installed... now, they don't support the software, no upgrades to do such available, making my TV and Utoob pleasure a total bummer... man, what a biotch... software bastiches...
My wife and I used to spend happy Saturday evenings creating "playlists" and casting super video of concerts and music all evening... now it is not possible..... arggggggg.....

anyway, cool plane for sure, I'm surprised that the 3D printing technology hasn't evolved exponentially like I'd hoped for, it's still a bit slow in it's evolution..
I first began using 3D "printing" technology back in 1995/96, with "cutting edge" proto machines.. the media was pretty much a plastised wax, very poor strength, just good for "shape/size/simple demo recreation" with no strength whatsoever;
in '96 i got to mess with some more advanced machines that used UV beam tech to solidify polymers in a "tank" of media, to create some pretty involved shape and format, but is was still layer printing, stacking "layers" as still done today...
At least the material/media has come along to provide actual strong parts...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 12:54:03 PM »
Nope, did not see it.

But the one in your video was heavy for its size, I can tell by the sluggish way it is flying (that is not an insult, merely an observation) so the planes themselves are not of too much interest to me Years ago, I developed a lattice work based model plane series that was fantastically light although a lot of work to make. And that is the coolest part of that printed airplane: it looks like most of it can be made while the owner watches TV, which is always a big deal to me. So hat's off to those guys 'cause that thing is really quite slick IMO. So the flying part is merely the icing on the cake; the cake is having a machine in the garage crank out complex 3D devices like that in the first place.

Brian

aaye I get that as well, there's a seperate thread about it somewhere, I'm sure Max will be along in a moment to provide the requisite link ;)

Did you click though to the P38 they have done as well?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 01:23:46 PM »
They did comment on the weight but I felt (& I think this was also in the commentary) that it gave it a more "realistic" flight as it wasnt bobbing around like you see with many R/C replicas.

I think whats good (& this comes out more in the P38 video) is that once you've written off the cost of the laser printer the material cost of this was only around $30 (excluding engine & electronics).

Also its not just press & go, you do have to assemble all the various panels and there appears to be a extensive instruction/build manual.

There's an unboxing of the P38 in the below video plus some more inflight drone work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwVRUvIcrRE

Nope, did not see it.

But the one in your video was heavy for its size, I can tell by the sluggish way it is flying (that is not an insult, merely an observation) so the planes themselves are not of too much interest to me Years ago, I developed a lattice work based model plane series that was fantastically light although a lot of work to make. And that is the coolest part of that printed airplane: it looks like most of it can be made while the owner watches TV, which is always a big deal to me. So hat's off to those guys 'cause that thing is really quite slick IMO. So the flying part is merely the icing on the cake; the cake is having a machine in the garage crank out complex 3D devices like that in the first place.

Brian
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 01:25:40 PM »
thought.

These translucent models would look well cool internally lit via LED :)

They did comment on the weight but I felt (& I think this was also in the commentary) that it gave it a more "realistic" flight as it wasnt bobbing around like you see with many R/C replicas.

I think whats good (& this comes out more in the P38 video) is that once you've written off the cost of the laser printer the material cost of this was only around $30 (excluding engine & electronics).

Also its not just press & go, you do have to assemble all the various panels and there appears to be a extensive instruction/build manual.

There's an unboxing of the P38 in the below video plus some more inflight drone work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwVRUvIcrRE
--

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 02:15:52 PM »
Nope, did not see it.

Brian

well, as they specifically noted in the audio commentary during flight, this was a great representation of "scale vs. reality"
i.e. if that sized plane was scaled up, and flown with a compensation of speed vs. scale, it would be flying like an F104 Starfighter.. ( my favorite bird, since it's inception..)
if you scale it all, you will see it covers distance just as an original, actually, even moreso,,,

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 02:16:14 PM »
Long time ago, I used to fly models covered with transparent film (laminating film actually), internally illuminated by fluorescent lamps at night. Way cool. But the best part was that there was a local road that ran parallel to the model field I flew from, and I used to fly the planes on the edge of the model flying field and road when cars came along and 1) they ALL stopped. and 2) they must have had some great stories to tell the next day.

Today I would use high powered LED's to accomplish the same thing. That said, it almost surely violates some rule(s) or other after 9/11 in the US. But back before that time, it was amusing and quite interesting, especially upon landing because I could not see the runway until the plane was less than about 4 feet off the ground. An eerie thing, flying an R/C aircraft in total darkness and landing in the dark.

Brian

thought.

These translucent models would look well cool internally lit via LED :)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
I do not fly scale airplanes, and no one does in R/C because given the 'proper' power to weight ratio, it would be almost impossible to do so. Insufficient ability to climb to maintain visual contact after leaving the ground. All R/C airplanes, even the 'scale' versions, have far, far greater power- to- weight ratios as compared with the full sized aircraft they are modelled on.

But at any rate, I prefer even lighter, 3D capable model aircraft anyway. Extremely high power- to- weight ratio making flying 'on the wing' optional, and with unlimited vertical, meaning the plane will climb and actually accelerate straight up. At partial throttle, these planes are capable of 'hovering', or hanging on the prop, and can be 'backed down to a zero forward speed landing' given sufficient control. A real crowd- pleaser is the 'plane catch'; I used to hover my planes, backing them slowly down in altitude until my brother could grasp them by the fuse and one wing. It took a lot of planes and a lot of hours to develop that particular skill.

But different strokes and all; some like to fly pattern, some like scale models, I like 3D flght.

Brian

well, as they specifically noted in the audio commentary during flight, this was a great representation of "scale vs. reality"
i.e. if that sized plane was scaled up, and flown with a compensation of speed vs. scale, it would be flying like an F104 Starfighter.. ( my favorite bird, since it's inception..)
if you scale it all, you will see it covers distance just as an original, actually, even moreso,,,

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 03:23:39 PM »
when I was living in and working in Richmond Va.,  my facility was less than a mile from Richmond Int Airport..
daily, as I rode to work, I had fighter jets leaving the airport (Air Guard), flying over me on the road I took to work, (sometimes they would go "inverted" and give me the finger and ADV highsign, thinking I was someone deserving it.. I guess my Gray/green colored Stitch, with the orange highlight balistics confused them..)..

had a pal I worked with there that had a bunch of R/C toys, one of which was a Jet/Fan powered toy.. he fired it up one day in the lot after everyone left, and did a couple "laps"... very impressive.. I almost got hooked.. but didn't..

after he went home, and as always I was working late, 3 BLACK Vans pulled in, and wanted to "talk" to me about .."wassuppp mistah?'

wow..

all was well, and nobody got busted, and cavity searched or anything.. but that was a "warning" if any...

we had touch-an-go landings weekly there with every Airforce One Jet in existance... so low, we could count rivets...

ahhh good times.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »
Ducted fans can be cool but the really slick set-up is a full- blown, axial gas turbine (read: jet engine) in model plane size. They start around 4 lbs. thrust and work their way up. They start and run exactly like the full sized versions; I would have said 'real' jet engines but these ARE real jet engines. They start on compressed air, then begin burning kerosene. They even smell like a jet engine. Usually used in model airplanes with nacelles so the engine is not visible, and they can be very, very fast: 200+ MPH, which is fast for something 3' long that you cannot see for very long in the sky.

An example of one running in a test bed:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPtsLPMTVnY

Brian

when I was living in and working in Richmond Va.,  my facility was less than a mile from Richmond Int Airport..
daily, as I rode to work, I had fighter jets leaving the airport (Air Guard), flying over me on the road I took to work, (sometimes they would go "inverted" and give me the finger and ADV highsign, thinking I was someone deserving it.. I guess my Gray/green colored Stitch, with the orange highlight balistics confused them..)..

had a pal I worked with there that had a bunch of R/C toys, one of which was a Jet/Fan powered toy.. he fired it up one day in the lot after everyone left, and did a couple "laps"... very impressive.. I almost got hooked.. but didn't..

after he went home, and as always I was working late, 3 BLACK Vans pulled in, and wanted to "talk" to me about .."wassuppp mistah?'

wow..

all was well, and nobody got busted, and cavity searched or anything.. but that was a "warning" if any...

we had touch-an-go landings weekly there with every Airforce One Jet in existance... so low, we could count rivets...

ahhh good times.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 12:40:16 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F34GDVrVXw    8)

Ducted fans can be cool but the really slick set-up is a full- blown, axial gas turbine (read: jet engine) in model plane size. They start around 4 lbs. thrust and work their way up. They start and run exactly like the full sized versions; I would have said 'real' jet engines but these ARE real jet engines. They start on compressed air, then begin burning kerosene. They even smell like a jet engine. Usually used in model airplanes with nacelles so the engine is not visible, and they can be very, very fast: 200+ MPH, which is fast for something 3' long that you cannot see for very long in the sky.

An example of one running in a test bed:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPtsLPMTVnY

Brian
--