Author Topic: Seat coming unlatched!  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Eggman

Seat coming unlatched!
« on: May 29, 2018, 07:04:12 AM »
So I'll be riding along and hear rattling from rear portion of seat. Sure enough has become unlatched. Happens very frequently. Anyone else having this issue?
Current Stable:
2018 Concours 14-2005 V-Star 1100 Silverado
1983 CB650 Custom restored-2017 Versys 650
2007 V-Star 650 Silverado

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: Seat coming unlatched!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 07:18:46 AM »
Sounds like you’re not getting it completely latched to start with.  That has happened to me both on my stock and aftmkt seat.  I think I recall having to put two washers between the seat base and latch bar to make it “longer” and easier to get completely locked in.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Gscott

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 07:36:17 AM »
Had to bend the rear latch on mine both stock and aftermarket, also make sure to push down on center section while sliding seat forward so the hooks slide in correctly. 

Offline Eggman

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 02:29:42 PM »
I'll reset and inspect again. The last time that I "relatched" kinda on the fly I yanked on that thing and shook it around so hard my wife thought I was about to pull it over the next stop it was loose again.
Current Stable:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 03:34:52 PM »
The last time that I "relatched" kinda on the fly I yanked on that thing and shook it around so hard my wife thought I was about to pull it over the next stop it was loose again.

You should see ME trying to take off OR put on the seat.  It is quite the spectacle of exhaustion and cursing most of the time.  I have never encountered a motorcycle seat as frustrating as the C14.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 05:59:15 PM »
Could be technique, Max.  I haven't had any issues removing the seat.  Could also be the latch thingy needs a little bending.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rrsperry

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 06:38:19 PM »
Yep, my then new C14 needed the latch bent a tad.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 08:05:06 PM »
I tried some bending action, but it appears I could never get any improvement.  I thought it was just the non-OEM seat, but hearing so many people with similar problems makes me think it isn't.  I have never used the original seat, it is in the attic somewhere.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 03:47:08 AM »
Well, you had to use it to get home, didn't you?  ;)   Go up to the attic and get it.   Try it and see if you are having the same issues.  If not, it's your current seat.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 05:32:34 AM »
Well, you had to use it to get home, didn't you?  ;)

Nope, the bike was an inter-dealer transfer that was delivered to my house.

Go up to the attic and get it.   Try it and see if you are having the same issues.  If not, it's your current seat.

Good point, although that sounds kinda like effort :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 06:56:32 AM »
Yes, it does imply some effort. ;)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »
A Dab-O-Grease on the mating surfaces never hurt.  Just a Dab mind you.  A smidge would be excessive.  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 04:30:56 PM »
A little dab will do ya?

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 05:34:04 PM »
Yep.

A little dab will do ya?

Just a Dab mind you.  Perhaps a smear, slap, dapple, daub, blob, or dribble.  But never a smidge, that's just crazy.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 07:24:58 PM »
And that's one thing we don't do here and that's crazy. 8)

Offline Eggman

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 07:25:53 PM »
You should see ME trying to take off OR put on the seat.  It is quite the spectacle of exhaustion and cursing most of the time.  I have never encountered a motorcycle seat as frustrating as the C14.

That's strange, I had the service mgr. demo for me removing the seat, bags, etc. the day I took it home and I've had it off and on numerous times and every time it seems to latch correctly and the key works the latch seemingly like its supposed to and was effortless...maybe there  is something up with it since it seems everyone says it's supposed to be difficult. Thanks for all the Input fellas!
Current Stable:

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 06:46:32 AM »
I have a different seat problem. I have little difficulty getting the rear latch to work, my problem is I can't get both front hooks to engage in their slots. My seat has been reworked by Seth Laam. I am thinking about trying to bend on of the metal "hooks".
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline deltonian

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2018, 12:15:05 PM »
I have been having the same problem on my 2015. The retractable latch on the bike does not lock closed but can open or retract freely when the mating loop piece on the seat can grab and inch its way open. Silicone spray on the mating surfaces did not help. May take it apart and see if I can engineer it to actually lock.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
I had trouble latching my stock seat but it stayed once latched. I put a Corbin made for  ZX14. I had to modify the latch. It works well but I dont remember what I did. That helps huh? ;D  I think I had to space it to it set prouder from the seat.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1