Author Topic: Smell of Gas  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Smell of Gas
« on: July 20, 2018, 04:22:41 PM »
I tank up with 93 octane, so I guess it's a little more oomphy than the normal 87 octane I put in my cages.

Not that there's a problem (there isn't that I'm aware of), but in the Arkansas heat we have had lately, I've noticed a gasoline odor probably coming from the tank.

I know the tank is vented, so I'm assuming that's the source.

But I'm curious -- anybody else notice the general smell of gasoline around the bike, not in the oil or anywhere else? Just in general?
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline jwh20

Re: Smell of Gas
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 04:30:20 PM »
Yes, that's normal especially after having ridden the bike or parking it in the sun.  The vapors in the tank escape through the vent and you often can smell it.  I'd say that unless you're seeing liquid gasoline leaking out there is nothing to worry about.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 04:40:47 PM »
 :goodpost:

Yep, that.

(Plus, higher octane gas doesn't have more "oomph" or power.  It is HARDER to ignite than lower octane gas.  Generally, one should use the lowest octane gas that is at or above the manufacturer's specification to get the best performance, mileage, price, and reliability.... but you probably already knew that :) )
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 05:19:11 PM »
What year did they start putting evap canisters on the Concours? I know my 2017 has one. That should take car of the gas smell unless the canister is completely flooded.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 05:28:52 PM »
:goodpost:

Yep, that.

(Plus, higher octane gas doesn't have more "oomph" or power.  It is HARDER to ignite than lower octane gas.  Generally, one should use the lowest octane gas that is at or above the manufacturer's specification to get the best performance, mileage, price, and reliability.... but you probably already knew that :) )

Actually, I didn't. Thanks for mentioning it. Probably like many others, I go along with the idea that higher octane for aviation (100 octane, low lead for private aircraft, something I know a little bit about) and, I guess, the "top fuel" methanol-driven engines that power the dragsters I seem to remember (Daddy Garlits, anyone?), spell more performance and "combustibility," but I am no chemical engineer.

2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 05:37:30 PM »
Actually, I didn't. Thanks for mentioning it. Probably like many others, I go along with the idea that higher octane for aviation (100 octane, low lead for private aircraft, something I know a little bit about) and, I guess, the "top fuel" methanol-driven engines that power the dragsters I seem to remember (Daddy Garlits, anyone?), spell more performance and "combustibility," but I am no chemical engineer.

Those higher compression motors can pre-detonate lower octane fuels causing damage. That is why higher octane fuels are required in performance motors.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »
Those higher compression motors can pre-detonate lower octane fuels causing damage. That is why higher octane fuels are required in performance motors.

I learned something today. Thank you.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 05:54:14 PM »
Higher octane fuel burns slower (or would that be more slowly?) than the lower octane fuel. Lower octane is actually more explosive, that's why it will cause an engine to "ping". You can run more "advance" or "lead" in the ignition timing with higher octane fuel promoting a more complete burn off the air/fuel mixture. You can also run a higher compression ratio if you are going to use high octane fuel.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 06:15:00 PM »
stepping away from the "less filling/tastes great" discussion,

I will say that after I had stored my bike, with 87 octane, and Marine Stabil mixture over the winter, I had topped up my tank with the 94 stuff, and I will say altho I never notice any fumes from the bike prior, it did emit some stronger fumes yesterday, after A spirited, 100 mile ride... and was parked in the garage.

I'm not worried, it seems normal, and when it vents, well, the thing is doing it's job...

as for "when" did they all start having the canisters installed, I'm not sure, I know they ALL have them now, and have since '15 when they added the O2 sensors, but my '08 does not have one... but it's a Virginia bike...

my guess is around '10-'11 ?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 09:15:57 PM »

Unfortunately, it is something that gas companies LIKE consumers to be confused about.  Hence the word "premium" slapped on it.  There is nothing "premium" about higher octane gas, except the price.  Higher octane is not "better" gas, any more than the color red is better than blue or green or yellow in your coolant.  There is also a misconception that high octane gas has more or better additives, which is also 100% false.  The purpose of higher octane is to prevent pre-ingition in engines that need it.  If you put high octane gas in an engine not designed for it, it will perform WORSE.  The C14 needs it, in its range of maximum compression (remember, it has variable valve timing, so it is not enough to look at just the static compression ratio) and temperature operation.  In some cases, you can get away with running "mid range" or even low, if you are not pushing the bike hard, and/or at certain elevations and/or at very colder temperatures.  But it is a gamble.  And some engines (NOT ON THE CONCOURS) there are knock sensors that will mess with the timing and fuel ratio to try and *cope* with being given [wrong] gas with too low an octane.... but, as you might guess, at a cost; lost performance, more fouling (which leads to reliability issues and service problems), possible engine stress, etc.

The other thing- higher octane gas doesn't cost ANYWHERE NEAR what it used to cost to make (due to technology improvements).  The price is typically severely artificially inflated.  And it is obvious when you compare the price difference between high and low octane price gas at "normal" gas stations to places like Costco/BJ's who don't rip people off.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline khager01

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 04:57:19 AM »
Speaking of the price difference.  For some reason here in Texas there is a 50 to 60 cent price difference between regular and premium and I have seen as high as 80 cent difference at one station.  In California there is usually only a 20 to 30 cent difference.  Now granted premium is only 91 octane in CA and 93 in TX, and of course the overall gas prices are higher in CA.  Mid grade is 89 octane in both CA and TX.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 02:44:05 PM »
Speaking of the price difference.  For some reason here in Texas there is a 50 to 60 cent price difference between regular and premium and I have seen as high as 80 cent difference at one station.  In California there is usually only a 20 to 30 cent difference.  Now granted premium is only 91 octane in CA and 93 in TX, and of course the overall gas prices are higher in CA.  Mid grade is 89 octane in both CA and TX.

JUST HAD STICKER SHOCK...
picked up some gas for my mower the other day, and was looking at the prices (Sunoco)
the 87 oct I use for my mower was $2.72 a gal, 93 oct was up to $3.88 a gallon... bastiches... ???

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »
If I read this post right I suspect that nearly everyone has had a whiff of gas fumes while sitting on the bike.  OK, good.  Me too.  Thankfully it goes away completely at highway speeds...

Gas companies can bite me with their inflated prices for premium fuel.

Has anyone tried Octane Boost?  Can I buy low octane fuel and boost it and is their a savings on overall fuel cost?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »
If I read this post right I suspect that nearly everyone has had a whiff of gas fumes while sitting on the bike.

Pretty much, yeah.  At least occasionally.  No doubt it is usually from having expansion in the gas inside the tank and it having to vent a little.

Gas companies can bite me with their inflated prices for premium fuel.

Mostly because consumers are falling for it, thinking it is really worth so much extra, when it isn't (and using it when they shouldn't).  If you have a Costco- that seems to be the best deal around; their spread is a fraction of just about everyone else.  I think BJ's is not as good as Costco, but a good 2nd place.

Has anyone tried Octane Boost?  Can I buy low octane fuel and boost it and is their a savings on overall fuel cost?

I am not sure any snake oil will work effectively and without any unintended consequences.  I am betting many people will say what I will say- "I am not going to take THAT chance on damaging MY engine".   In the old days, you could just add some lead :)

Offline jwh20

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 04:30:08 PM »

I think you'll find that these, while possibly effective, are not a bargain.  Usually they push the $/gal above the retail price for Premium Unleaded.  They are good to use in a pinch, but for daily use, just fork over the money to big oil.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 07:47:56 PM »
I burn premium in my small engines just to avoid the ethanol. Especially right before storing them away for winter. stable helps but it's not as good as staying away from ethanol to start with
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »
I burn premium in my small engines just to avoid the ethanol.

In VA (and I assumed most States), *all* gas is ethanol contaminated, with the exception of a few, specialty, very rural stations (essentially non-existent and extremely expensive), totally unrelated to octane level.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VA

Offline jwh20

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 10:49:39 AM »
In VA (and I assumed most States), *all* gas is ethanol contaminated, with the exception of a few, specialty, very rural stations (essentially non-existent and extremely expensive), totally unrelated to octane level.

I guess I'm fortunate that there are two stations in my area selling E0 gasoline.  The local marina has it as well as the local Farm Bureau Coop.  It is more expensive but I've found that for outdoor power equipment and other engines with carbs, it's a LOT less expensive than rebuilding or replacing carbs nearly every year.  I have found that many engines will continue to corrode even if you completely drain the fuel before storage.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 12:41:04 PM »
I am convinced that ethanol ruined my last bike, a carbureted ZRX-11.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 02:41:20 PM »

I think it's more than a few, Max.  We've got a Murphy's in Dahlgren where you can buy straight regular gas.   Cost's more and tried it my truck and didn't detect any difference.  I saw quite a few stations in southwest VA carrying non-ethanol gas.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.