Author Topic: What a day- Shodabeen tune and suspension set up  (Read 2048 times)

Offline eng943

What a day- Shodabeen tune and suspension set up
« on: September 08, 2018, 04:12:36 PM »
  Great day, two of the best mods to my bike so far, the Shoodabeen tune, and a $40.00 suspension bike that transformed my bike. My bike accelerates harder, smoother, and now handles much better after the suspension tune. Even on stock tires the bike handles great, no more lazy front end, no more wallowing or handling being upset over bumps.

Can't wait to get some good tires on her now.   
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: What a day- Shodabeen tune and suspension set up
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 04:53:23 PM »
You need to elaborate on the suspension setup!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »
???????????????????
????????????????????
???????????????????

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline eng943

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:03:16 PM »
You need to elaborate on the suspension setup!

Okay...I am by no means a suspension guru, hence the reason I took to someone that was.

I'm 175lbs, so "in theory" the factory sets the suspension up for riders in my general weight category....in theory.

For starters he set the sag with me on the bike.

Tuner found several problems with the OEM set up / calibration. Waaay too much rebound dampening, which was making me think it was actually a pre-load problem. Shows you what I know, but too much rebound can be described as "stiff" or "harsh" feeling.

In the front he dialed in more spring, and adjusted the pre-load and rebound. This changed the geometry some, and the bike does not feel as sluggish turning in as it did before.

The bike is so much better now. Much more planted and eager in the corners, and it handles bums better as well.

Honestly, I was about ready to go buy a Traxxion / Penske set up, but I don't think I can justify it now.     

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.

Offline eng943

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 06:04:20 PM »
???????????????????
????????????????????
???????????????????

Sorry, I can't interpret thought bubbles.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 06:44:10 PM »
Sorry, I can't interpret thought bubbles.

I'm going to guess that MOB was looking for information on who you had work with you on your suspension.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 08:17:09 AM »
I would gladly pay somebody some money that knew what they were doing to set my suspension better.  I may have made a few changes a long time ago but I love the way my bike handles in nearly all scenarios.  I would love to love it more.

I did back off my rear preload to set the rear a little lower and make it a bit more stable when slabbing from IL to CO. Once I hit the mountains, I cranked it back up to help it turn better, made a world of difference.

I consider myself fortunate that I have never had buffeting or felt that the suspension was not working well for me.  Maybe I just am too ignorant to notice a problem, but happy through ignorance feels like happy any way you look at it.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »
eng943; I'll try to interpret the thought bubbles...
               WHO did the work for you and where?
               Was the front and back adjusted?
               Can you tell us more about the adjustment's?
                 ie; Do you know the settings?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Cuda

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 08:35:22 PM »
After the JenningsGP trip I'll be dropping off my bike at Steve's to have the valves checked and a once over, 

http://forum.cog-online.org/southeast-events/3rd-annual-sport-touring-school-at-jennings-gp/ 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Mi 14

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 08:24:38 PM »
eng943 I have the Traxxiox/Penske suspension on my 2012 and i GUARANTEE it is light years ahead of what you did. It was the last mod I did on my 2008 and after feeling the improvement I vowed the suspension would be the first mod I do on any bike I buy, unless of course it comes with OHLINS!!!!!!

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »
  Great day, two of the best mods to my bike so far, the Shoodabeen tune, and a $40.00 suspension bike that transformed my bike. My bike accelerates harder, smoother, and now handles much better after the suspension tune. Even on stock tires the bike handles great, no more lazy front end, no more wallowing or handling being upset over bumps.

Can't wait to get some good tires on her now.   

I had the sag set done by a WERA techie for $100. in 2010 at Summit Point West Virginia when the bike had about 4000 miles . Best money I ever spent . That guy warned me about the stock Crapstone 021's and said they were wearing really funky. After a couple of high speed sweeper wobbles, I trashed them and got my first (of many) set of real tires- Michelin PR's. I could not believe the difference and now with the SISF M.R. flash it can play with my buddies' 911 thru the twisties.