Author Topic: Why I'm no longer impressed....  (Read 2047 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Why I'm no longer impressed....
« on: September 18, 2018, 07:23:10 PM »
....with riding a motorcycle at triple digit speeds...

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/cycling-land-speed-record-52942/

https://youtu.be/cZhrqKrljig

I had no idea this was a thing.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Why I'm no longer impressed....
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 06:52:56 AM »
Kind of an exercise in how fast can one vehicle tow another vehicle. Yes the tow cable is separated but still towing using air draft. I would think serious bicycle enthusiast would be much more interested in land speed record on flat with only human power.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:45:29 AM »
My buddy and I tried some top speed bicycle runs down a big hill. About 55.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 03:47:57 PM »
Kind of an exercise in how fast can one vehicle tow another vehicle. Yes the tow cable is separated but still towing using air draft. I would think serious bicycle enthusiast would be much more interested in land speed record on flat with only human power.

+1
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 04:15:55 PM »
My buddy and I tried some top speed bicycle runs down a big hill. About 55.
I hit 45 once and thought i was gonna die.   :yikes:
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 05:05:58 PM »
I don't care if she was drafting .... 183 on a bicycle is insane.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 05:25:43 PM »
Lots of faith in those tires (among other things), apparently. Wow!!
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 06:42:47 PM »
stupid teen as i was, experimented, to test the theory "mass vs speed/ with gravity...as the control factor"

hit 43 mph and chicken'd out..... but I wasn't done...

added a 30# sandbag to rear rack, and with my 260# body, hit 63 mph..(verified by my pal I was following down hill who was driving his car). before chickening out again, and hitting rear coaster brake....(it was my heavy old Murrey, which I trusted, as it was 10x stronger, and didn't have rubber brake pads like my $$$ C.Itoh 10 speed...)

note to self;
bad, really bad, stupid idea....
when a coaster 'brake' welds up solid in the hub... at about 40 mph, after it did it's best to 'scrub' off speed... a bicycle wheel turns into a taco, and will... without any care, throw you on the ground.... the 'braking effect' of 2 teenage forearms far excedes anything you can imagine.. and the 'skin skidmarks/ scars" will be the reminder... ow, omg, OWeeee..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline bigdt73

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 06:50:29 PM »
Am I the only one who is disappointed and unimpressed? 

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 03:41:19 PM »
stupid teen as i was, experimented, to test the theory "mass vs speed/ with gravity...as the control factor"

hit 43 mph and chicken'd out..... but I wasn't done...

added a 30# sandbag to rear rack, and with my 260# body, hit 63 mph..(verified by my pal I was following down hill who was driving his car). before chickening out again, and hitting rear coaster brake....(it was my heavy old Murrey, which I trusted, as it was 10x stronger, and didn't have rubber brake pads like my $$$ C.Itoh 10 speed...)

note to self;
bad, really bad, stupid idea....
when a coaster 'brake' welds up solid in the hub... at about 40 mph, after it did it's best to 'scrub' off speed... a bicycle wheel turns into a taco, and will... without any care, throw you on the ground.... the 'braking effect' of 2 teenage forearms far excedes anything you can imagine.. and the 'skin skidmarks/ scars" will be the reminder... ow, omg, OWeeee..

I'll bet that wheel hub would have glowed in the dark before or as it turned into a solid mass. It could have been worse, had it branded you in the a$$.
Never did any high speed runs with the bikes as a kid. Towed a few contraptions behind snowmobiles way faster than ever should. Mostly those turned out to be bad ideas, also.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »
I'll bet that wheel hub would have glowed in the dark before or as it turned into a solid mass. It could have been worse, had it branded you in the a$$.
Never did any high speed runs with the bikes as a kid. Towed a few contraptions behind snowmobiles way faster than ever should. Mostly those turned out to be bad ideas, also.

I would rather have had that Branding on my azz, than the nice 'tatoo's I still have on both my forearms today...
the only GOOD luck I had, was my pal turned around, and came back to help me untangle myself out of the mass of wreckage, twisted up all around me... and get me up off the ground... I immediatly crawled down into the creek at the roadside, and laid in it moaning and trying to 'scrub' the skin and debris off my arms... OMG... that hurt bad... then we tossed the bike into the car, and when I got home, I snuck into the house and wrapped my arms up so my mom wouldn't see....
the next day, at school, I was trying to get my gym teacher to let me 'sit on the side', and when he made me unwrap my arms... sent me to the school nurse.... who promptly scrubbed the livin'crap off both arms with PhisoHex, and a bristle brush.....yeeeeeeoooowwwwwwwww...
it healed, but she didn't get all the cinders out, and I still have tatoos

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Stasch

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 12:56:07 PM »
On a multi day bicycle tour trip in the early 70's, our pace motorcycle clocked me at 54 mph downhill on an 'S' curve near Traverse City Michigan.

I was 12 or 13 and in spite of having just a few meager brain cells that actually worked, thought to myself during the run:
 "This would be a really bad time to wipe out wearing only jean cutoffs." (no shirt)

I would have never guessed the bike would shake like it did coasting at that speed.  I can only imagine wheel imbalance was the cause.

Thankfully I made it through unscathed.  Later that same trip, I fell asleep while pedaling (!) at 15-18 mph wearing just cutoffs and dropped the front wheel off an 8" drop we were paralleling in a construction zone.  Got a few scrapes on that one.

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Cuda

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 08:24:28 PM »
I bought a 70,000 lb Crane at auction , driving her home on Interstate 4 going down this hill I hit 63 MPH that sucker started shaking so bad I was really scared , I've hit 150 mph on my bike and it was nothing. :o
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver