Poll

How many bikes pulled to the right from the get go...?

Yes
5 (7.6%)
No
61 (92.4%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Brand new 2012 concours pulls to the right  (Read 27161 times)

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
Brand new 2012 concours pulls to the right
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »
So after complaining to the dealer of it pulling they had someone from kawasaki in california fly out. When he got here he said he wanted to get a demo bike. He said the demo bike pulls to the right as well.
The kawasaki guy and the tech at the dealer both said that my bike and the demo both pull to the right exactly the same way and that it is just a characteristic of the bike.
I dont know, just doesnt seem right to me.
Kinda upset about this, I would trade it in for something but I do like the concours. Just dont like the pull to the right.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: Brand new 2012 concours pulls to the right
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 11:25:16 AM »
I call BS on them. My 2011 doesn't pull right, why should the 2012? I would have been tempted to tell them that it wouldn't be a characteristic of the bike if it weren't for that big bazooka on the right side.  ;D
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »
Not understanding . . . you mean under braking? Or just traveling down the road?

And ditto on calling BS on this, whatever your answer to the above.

Offline chap

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:55:16 AM »
My 2010 doesn't pull at all. Rides perfecly straight. Sounds like they had a production error in the yoke. Would be interesting to hear about other 2012 C14's close to your serial #
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 12:17:59 PM »
The pull is noticeable under all conditions. When you lean forward with all your weight on the handlebars you dont feel it much. When you take your weight off the handlebars you notice you have to turn the handle bars to the right to go straight, and if you remove your hands from the handle bars it goes way off to the right. To the point where you have to lean way off to the left of the bike for it to go straight.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 03:19:29 PM »
Wow....that is too much pulling to the right. Sure there is not a gremlin attached to the right side? Maybe by the shaft drive?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 04:03:07 PM »
Do you by chance have a 40 lb potato launcher on the right side...  :-X ;)

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »
Don't suppose there is any adjustment to the rear wheel alignment?  I haven't been back there to work yet.  but not too many things on a bike that could cause a pull that i know of

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 05:27:39 PM »
Mine pulls right as well, every time I need gas, the rest of the time it pulls left, all the way to the passing lane ;D

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 07:57:06 PM »
Man that would **** me off....With grip lock on I can adj. G
gloves.....Maybe you and another C-14 could swap rides a few miles and cruise back to the dealer....Good luck rwilliamm....
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:19:55 PM »
Think I will call kawasaki customer service hotline again in the morning and tell them I want it fixed or I want a full refund.

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Go to another dealer. My dealer is not a nice guy, but pulls to the right! I wish we had some sort of collective influence..But another dealer should make a differance.....
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 10:29:26 PM »
OK, joking aside, I had an RT1150 that did the same thing, the dealer swore up and down it was the aggressive crown here in the PNW that caused it, funny thing is it doesn't happen on the 14 or any other bike I've owned.  Something is off on the geometry, don't accept no, get it fixed.  I will ask, does it do it without the bags or empty bags?  And you have shucked the POS 'Stones, right?  Another thing that you could check is the front, did the tire get properly mounted, meaning proper sequence for tightening axle and pinch bolts?  I think that is where I would start looking, any odd tire wear?

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
I can cruise down the Interstate and, if the wind isn't blowing, ride ride down the center of the lane with no hands at all. No pulling one way or the other. Now, if there's the least bit of crosswind, I'm heading downwind if I do that.
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
So after complaining to the dealer of it pulling they had someone from kawasaki in california fly out. When he got here he said he wanted to get a demo bike. He said the demo bike pulls to the right as well.
The kawasaki guy and the tech at the dealer both said that my bike and the demo both pull to the right exactly the same way and that it is just a characteristic of the bike.
I dont know, just doesnt seem right to me.
Kinda upset about this, I would trade it in for something but I do like the concours. Just dont like the pull to the right.

Well, if both were assembled by the same guy, he screwed it up twice from the sounds of it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »
Do you by chance have a 40 lb potato launcher on the right side...  :-X ;)

I rode for over 45k miles with the potato launcher and it never pulled to the right...there's something wrong with the bike and by the sound of it, it's the dealer assembly process.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »
I rode for over 45k miles with the potato launcher and it never pulled to the right...there's something wrong with the bike and by the sound of it, it's the dealer assembly process.

I saw them uncrate it. There was hardly anything for the dealer to prep. They had to install the windshield and 1 saddle bag.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »
Mine pulls right as well, every time I need gas, the rest of the time it pulls left, all the way to the passing lane ;D

:goodpost: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »
I've added a poll for yes or no on the pulling to the right.  If your bike pulled to the right please add a reply to this thread and what was done to fix it.  I've got a suspicion we won't see too many yes answers.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »
I dont think we will see many yes answers either.
But I do appreciate everyones input.
Thanks.
Im not here to vent or complain, just looking for possible causes/fixes.
I am going to get it back this Saturday. I would hate to spend money on new tires when it does not need them yet. I will look at the triple clamps. Try to see if they are square to each other. Also heard to take a string from the left handlebar to a point on the left side of the front tire then do the same thing on the other side. Both stings should be the same length. We will see Saturday I guess.