Author Topic: Mounted the PR3 tires  (Read 8296 times)

Bob

Mounted the PR3 tires
« on: May 16, 2011, 05:52:15 PM »
 OK, now that the Michelin Pilot Road 3's have come out and I heard some decent feedback on them. I decided to try them now that my Angels have 6K on them and I need to make a trip to the NE spring fling. It's no secret to older forum members, that I didn't have a good experience with the Michelin PR2 tires. But even though my PR2's were not very good IMO, I decided to try the newer version of the Pilot Road series tires.
 The first thing I noticed about them is that like the PR2, they have a good looking tread pattern (IMO). Even though it was cold and raining (which killed my preheating in the sun ritual). The tires mounted fairly easy, with little difficulty. The "E" model rear Pirelli Angel that I was removing, was almost as hard to get off as it was to get on last year. So if I were to buy Angels, I'd stay with the lighter less expensive model, that mount much easier! Although the rear tire with the extra belt didn't get a flat. So who's to say whether the extra belt the "E" model actually prevented anything?
 The PR3's like the PR2's do not come with a ballance mark. I do not know if this is good on Michelin's part or not. The Angel's I removed both took 1/2 once of weight to ballance. In my experience with Pirelli, they never seem to take much weight to ballance the tire. They also use the tire valve mark. About half the time, the Pirelli's didn't require any weight (which is nice) and I really like. But a little weight isn't a big deal.
 The PR3's took quite a bit more weight to ballance the tires. The front coming in at 1 once. The rear tire took 1 1/2 once. Not drastic, but more than I normally would have had to use with Pirelli's.
 Anyway with the new sneakers mounted on the bike and it already being dirty from Saturday's riding in the wet. I decided what better way to try out these new tires that are billed at being better in the wet than the PR2. The PR2 was a pretty good tire in the wet. In the same ball park with the Angel ST in the wet. Although I do not ride aggressive at all in the rain. So I will not comment on their peg dragging ability in the wet. This guy will not even attempt that!  :D
 So since it was a pretty heavy rain day. I decided the 10-20 miles would suffice for a test of these new tires to see if they are as good in the wet as billed. My opinion is this. Although I didn't ride that far. I felt I got a pretty good feel for these tires in the wet. And keep in mind, this is on totally brand new tires, with no break in time.
 I think these PR3's are probably the best wet weather tires I have ridden on! They ride well on wet roads and feel like they have excellent wet weather grip. The PR2's and Angels were both excellent in the wet. I feel that these are better in the wet. Granted most oils have probably been washed off the road in the last 48 hours. But even still, the tires never slipped once. And I rode like I would have on tires that were not brand new. The PR3's never gave me the feeling of sliding at all in the wet. But like I said, I don't try to drag pegs in the wet either.
 It's a good thing I put these tires on. Since this weekend in Wellsboro, PA always seems to rain on us! So I should be all set should the skies open up on us again. Now what I need is some nice dry weather to evaluate how they will be in the dry. This is the part where I am now really interested in. Since this is where my PR2's were less than stellar. I hoping than these PR3's will make amends for the PR2's and perform in the dry well enough to make these tires a really good all around package. I guess we'll see!

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
Re: Mounted the PR3 tires
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »
Not to jinx you or anything, but, if you superimpose the tread patterns from the front/rear tires, the resulting image resembles the circuit board traces in the KiPass fob.  :rotflmao:

Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Bob

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:02:46 PM »
Not to jinx you or anything, but, if you superimpose the tread patterns from the front/rear tires, the resulting image resembles the circuit board traces in the KiPass fob.  :rotflmao:

That's just plain mean!  ;D

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:23:47 PM »
LOL! See ya in Wellsboro...
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »
Congrats Cap'n!  :chugbeer:

I think you'll like them, I do mine with almost 2k miles on them!  :thumbs:

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 07:11:02 PM »
Congrats Cap'n!  :chugbeer:

I think you'll like them, I do mine with almost 2k miles on them!  :thumbs:

So after 2000 miles how are they compared to PR2's?
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline Afm252

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 07:32:57 PM »
Compared to PR2s...good question, do tell.
Mike T
09 C14 "Turtle"
07 CBR 600rr Blue/ Silver
98 CBR 600 F3 "Desert Storm"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 07:40:59 PM »
Sorry guys, I never had the PR2's...

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »
Sorry guys, I never had the PR2's...

Well when you are done with PR3's can you put a set of PR2's on?   8)
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline bbirdxx2000

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 05:18:52 AM »
Nice write-up :), just put the 3 on the back. the front is the 2 with about 5,000 miles on. got 6,6600 from the 2

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 06:24:05 AM »
I just put a PR3 on my front last night and this morning driving into work was like having a new bike.  Corning has dramatically improved and the front end doesn't feel jerky like it did with the OEM tires (~3400 miles on them so they had a nice flat spot).  Looking at the weather, I may be giving an update on rain handling when I get home  >:(
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 01:51:25 PM »
I think you will like the handling of the pr3.  I ran the pr2 and had a similar experience to yours (although it wasn't as squirrelly as yours) and have run the angels.  We mounted pr3s to my friends bike and shinkos to mine about 2 weeks ago.  This past weekend we rode around Arkansas and Missouri in the rain.  I took his bike through some pretty decent corners in the rain, pushing them a little farther than I would have where it my bike.   :)  They worked really well.  Hopefully, you have a pretty good experience with them.  He has about 2500 or so miles on them now and they seem to be holding up well.   Time will tell on the durability side.   I will try them out on my bike as soon as I can get the time to wear out the shinkos.

T.S.R.

Bob

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »
Well I got to run them in both the wet and dry at the NE spring fling in Wellsboro, PA this weekend. So far I still think that these are the best wet tires I've used on the Sport tours. In the dry my impression so far is that they are pretty good. They have adequate grip and have not experienced any of the short comings of the PR2. Although they do not seem to roll into a corner, or give you the grip and confidence that the Pirelli Angel ST does. But they are still very good.
 So far I like these tires in all aspects. IMO, they are not the best tire at everything. But they are the best tires in the wet, and do everything well so far! I have to wait and see how they perform as they get more miles on them. That will determine whether or not I would choose to use them again over the Angel or other brand. The questions like, will they last as long as the PR2? Will they flatten out and/or lose the feel as the wear? Only time will tell. But so far were off to a good start.