Author Topic: Seeing the Light! AKA: Projetors from TheRetrofitSource  (Read 17667 times)

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
Seeing the Light! AKA: Projetors from TheRetrofitSource
« on: October 20, 2014, 07:56:35 PM »
Anyone who has seen me involved in a conversation about lighting, and the use of HID's knows I am a HUGE fan of projectors.  Why?  Because they work, and are far safer than throwing HID's into a stock housing designed for halogen bulbs.  It's a bit more work, but the end result is WELL worth the effort involved, as you will see in the pictures and video below. 

EDIT:  Look at this link for a very good explanation as to why putting HID's in a non-HID intended housing is a very bad thing!  http://southrnfresh.com/2013/06/why-adding-a-hid-kit-to-your-car-with-non-projectors-housing-makes-you-a-ricer/

I do not recommend rushing this.  Plan a couple evenings of preparation, and a couple full days of work. I had to rush it at the end (cause surprise, I had to ride my bike the next day due to the wife taking the car) and that lead to a couple mistakes that were completely avoidable.

This is my 4th retrofit, first using the quick-fit method.  My last three were an Infinity projector into a sealed housing on my Honda CM450E, and I did, and Re-did the retrofit on my 650 with B-stock Mini-H1 1.0's

I will included what I ordered from TheRetrofitSource.com, and also what I recommend most people order instead.  (I got all b-stock parts because I'm cheap and willing to do a bit of extra work.)

My stuff:
Generic Mini H1 Projectors:   http://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts/standard-mini-h1-bi-xenon-projectors.html#.VEW5YPl4p4c
These are NOT to TRS spec.  It's the same supplier, but TRS has them do special things to make a better product.  With fine-tuning, these are equivilant in quality to the Morimoto Mini-H1 3.0, the current gen of Morimoto Mini H1's is 6.0 at the time of this posting.

Gatling Gun 2.0 Shrouds:    http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/shrouds/gatling-gun-2-0-projector-shrouds.html#.VEW6cfl4p4c
I got the B-stock ones with my order, this link is the QC'd ones.  I recommend these ones over the Mini-Gatling's due to the size of our housing.  The mini gatlings will be too small, these provide a much more OEM look.

Wiring Harness:    http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/harnesses/morimoto-h4-motorcycle-dual-lamp-wire-harness.html#.VEW7lvl4p4c
This is required to maintain your high-beam low-beam function, and also takes a load off of the bikes skinny wiring. Makes the job SO much easier

I had HID's and ballasts already. 

MY RECOMMENDATION!!!!    http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/motorcycle-stage-iii-kit-dual-headlight.html#.VEW8EPl4p4c
All of the stuff I listed out is in one place.  No need to do all the extra leg work I did piecing things together.  I know if you call in your order, they will do this kit with B-stock items at a reduced price to reflect B-stock prices. The advantage to the full kit, is you don't have to do any tuning, or testing. It all has been tested and is known to work.  (I recommend firing everything up really quick before completing the install, like you'll see in my video below, but you won't have to do the few hours of extra work I had to do in tuning them.)

PHOTOS

Bike from front

Housing lit up at night

Low Beam Wall

High Beam Wall

Low Beam for Oncoming (Comparison with other cars for oncoming as well)

High Beam for Oncoming

Low Beam Rider Wide

High Beam Rider Wide

Low Beam Rider slight zoom

High Beam Rider slight zoom

COMPLETE WALK-THROUGH VIDEO (24:xx minutes long)
In this video I discuss how to do this, and also some issues I came across along the way/ how I overcame them.

2013 (2008-2014) Concours 14 Projector Retrofit complete Walkthrough

NIGHTTIME PREVIEW VIDEO
http://youtu.be/_xB5A_MJ1ZU

EDIT:  I've had a lot of people ask "How do you change the HID bulb when it burns out? Do I have to take it all apart?"      The answer is "No."  Changing the HID in the back of the projector, is the same exact process as changing the stock bulb.  Undo a clip, pull the bulb out, re-do the clip.  If you've got small hands like me, this may be possible with everything still mounted on the bike. (as long as you don't touch the bulb to anything)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:13:46 AM by Stephen.G.Fiddes »
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

Re: Seeing the Light! AKA: Projetors from TheRetrofitSource
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:58:17 PM »
Photos
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:40:28 PM by Stephen.G.Fiddes »
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:59:17 PM »
More Photos
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:40:38 PM by Stephen.G.Fiddes »
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »
And more photos
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:40:45 PM by Stephen.G.Fiddes »
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:57:24 PM »
Stephen

Very impressive mod and marvelous documentation.

SW Roadrunner

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:11:43 PM »
Thanks RoadRunner!
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 09:47:41 PM »
Nice info, you put a lot of effort into documenting the procedure.  Good idea testing it completely while it was off the bike.  I just wish I had the energy to do such a retrofit!!!   The results look so incredibly good that I won't even complain about your mispronunciation of "Concours" in the video (hint- the "s" is silent) ;)

The question is- would you do it all again?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »
Nice info, you put a lot of effort into documenting the procedure.  Good idea testing it completely while it was off the bike.  I just wish I had the energy to do such a retrofit!!!   The results look so incredibly good that I won't even complain about your mispronunciation of "Concours" in the video (hint- the "s" is silent) ;)

The question is- would you do it all again?

Ive heard it both ways, and this is America, not France haha.

This is my 4th, and definately not my last.   Ill be fixing a couple small issues with this one, and soon be ordering parts to do this on my wife's Focus.  I will probably do this on every vehile i ever own that doesnt come with bi-xenon (hi-low) HID projectors. (Until better technology is affordable)

Its alot of work, but the added safety is so wrth it to me.
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 10:06:35 PM »
Ive heard it both ways, and this is America, not France haha.

"Army Corps of Engineers"  touche'  !!!

This is my 4th, and definately not my last.   Ill be fixing a couple small issues with this one, and soon be ordering parts to do this on my wife's Focus.  I will probably do this on every vehicle i ever own that doesnt come with bi-xenon (hi-low) HID projectors. (Until better technology is affordable)

Its alot of work, but the added safety is so wrth it to me.

I am incredibly jealous.  It looks like a lot of weight to be sitting on something designed to hold just a little bulb (are the lenses plastic or glass?  I assume plastic/acrylic, but that is heavy too).  What keeps that shroud in place?  I am surprised you didn't sneak some decorative LED's in there around the inner housing perimeter (I imagine that might be hard to make look "factory good", though).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 10:26:02 PM »
"Army Corps of Engineers"  touche'  !!!

I am incredibly jealous.  It looks like a lot of weight to be sitting on something designed to hold just a little bulb (are the lenses plastic or glass?  I assume plastic/acrylic, but that is heavy too).  What keeps that shroud in place?  I am surprised you didn't sneak some decorative LED's in there around the inner housing perimeter (I imagine that might be hard to make look "factory good", though).

So by that logic is the S at the end of "engineers" silent? LOL!

Believe it or not, it doesnt weigh much. The weight is spread out enough at the back that it shouldnt be an issue.  The factory reflector bowls are pretty beefy too. I thought about putting re-enforcement in during planning, but once i got in there i was like "what?! This is easy!"
Lenses are glass.

First thing everyone asks me: "why didnt you put angel eyes on it?"

Because its not a F&$@!ng BMW! (Thank God)

"You should have put green halos on it"

No, because then id have to wheelie down the freeway in flip-flops while running from the cops... Do you know how heavy this bike is?!
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 05:22:36 AM »
So by that logic is the S at the end of "engineers" silent? LOL!

ahhh, forget it, it only works in his favor  ::)

Great job on the mod, it looks neat and the light pattern looks fantastic. Any improvement while leaning? I have no problem straight on but got spoiled by the magic of the K1600's tilting lights in the curves.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 05:34:40 AM »
 :goodpost:
Two questions for ya!
1 how did you convince your wife to let you bake you shroud in her oven?
2 what brand of coffee you drinking? It seemed to really put you into overdrive in a few segments of your video :rotflmao:
Oh and one more, how many hrs do you think this took you?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 05:40:51 AM »
"You should have put green halos on it"

No, because then id have to wheelie down the freeway in flip-flops while running from the cops... Do you know how heavy this bike is?!

LOL!

Well, no, I was talking about marker lights or brows or such.  But I know what you mean.  There is nice and there is rice....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 06:29:43 AM »
Eeeew- It just occurred to me, what happens when a bulb blows?  You have to disassemble the bike again and bake the cover off and then put it all back???

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 07:09:32 AM »
Great info! Thanks for posting. But I don't know morris code so what was the message in the video?  ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 07:13:07 AM »
 :thumbs: :thumbs: :cool:

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 07:37:40 AM »
Sweet mod! 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 07:38:29 AM »
Two questions for ya!
1 how did you convince your wife to let you bake you shroud in her oven?
2 what brand of coffee you drinking? It seemed to really put you into overdrive in a few segments of your video :rotflmao:
Oh and one more, how many hrs do you think this took you?

I don't ask, and neither does she.  As long as I'm not wearing my nice jeans (like I was during this project... lol shhhh) she doesn't question it. lol

Whatever is in the cupboard. lol

Around 8 total, but should have taken me 10-12.  Had I not been rushed to get everything back together, it would have taken a bit longer, and had one or 2 less mistakes (There's 3 glaring to me).

LOL!

Well, no, I was talking about marker lights or brows or such.  But I know what you mean.  There is nice and there is rice....
   As I was planning it, I thought about it, and decided after seeing some others that it would be too much.  I want to do some RIGID pods under the mirrors, and I think that anything more than that and I'd start to look like those bikes that show up to sturgis glowing.

Eeeew- It just occurred to me, what happens when a bulb blows?  You have to disassemble the bike again and bake the cover off and then put it all back???

There is space between the reflector cup and the actual back of the housing, shake glass under the reflector cup, go around the side, and pour it out the spot where the rubber seal is on the back.

Great info! Thanks for posting. But I don't know morris code so what was the message in the video?  ;D

LOL!  That was the focus motor in the lens cause I forgot to put it on manual focus. lol
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline udoggie

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 08:26:01 AM »
This is very cool.  I might just have to do this too!

Thanks for the detailed writeup and pics/vid!

-Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 07:57:23 AM »
This is very cool.  I might just have to do this too!

Thanks for the detailed writeup and pics/vid!

-Jeff

Let me know if you have questions! If you want help, lemme know too since we live so close!   :chugbeer:
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD