Author Topic: Addition to the garage...  (Read 4545 times)

Offline tomp

Addition to the garage...
« on: January 20, 2017, 07:31:11 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I do love my C14, but lately I have been missing cruising about on a big air cooled V Twin motorcycle.  Having owned five Big Twin Harleys, I decided not to spend that kind of money for a toy again.   Nothing Victory or Indian has got my attention either.  Looked around and found a 2013 Yamaha Road Star S 1700, with only 1900 miles, and great price.  Upon riding it, found it felt much like a MoCo product, but at 1/3 to1/2 the cost.  Weather and work has limited my riding time, but so far, I like the ride feel better than any Softail or Touring model I've ridden.  More HP and Torque too. 

Anyone else owned a big Yamaha/Star cruiser?   What did you think???

Just a stock picture, but mine looks the same. 

Living in the Texas Coast...

sailor_chic

Re: Addition to the garage...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 07:27:41 AM »
Bike #6 now?

Offline tomp

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 07:35:33 AM »
Nah, only five.   ;D

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 07:48:55 PM »
It's cool to have the choice when the mood strikes. Gotta love it! 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline tomp

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 08:19:54 PM »
Rode both today.  So different.  On the RSS, no feeling of needing to go faster or pass anyone.  On the C14, well you all understand the feeling when riding one.  Raises the heart rate, forsure. 

Ordered a windshield for the RSS, Just too old to push back against the wind blast at hiway speeds.   tp

Offline O.C.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 04:38:38 AM »
Good for you Tomp, a little of what you fancy does you good..ride and enjoy  8)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 08:11:47 AM »
Anyone else owned a big Yamaha/Star cruiser?   What did you think???

Never owned (or ridden) one, but a riding buddy has the Stratoliner Deluxe, and can easily keep up on most "spirited" rides.  It gets a lot of miles on it annually, and he wouldn't trade it for anything.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline tomp

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 08:32:08 AM »
I used to be one of those "If it's not a Harley, it's not a true V Twin cruiser." No longer.   Early metric cruisers were crappy copies, but the large Star line has proven to be as good, and in some ways, better than the American brand all claim is being copied. 
FWIW, I've had a Street Glide, a Road Glide, and even an Ultra Classic, for touring, and the C14, to me, is a better mount for the job.  I'd place the RSS right behind it, and ahead of  those Harleys...  tomp   dd50

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »
Dont own one but a friend in Knoxville has one. Doesnt fit me well as I find both hand and foot controls a reach.
You can feel those big pistons movi g but the pulses seem subdued. Slow turni g engine, the rev limiter kicks in with lots more steam available. This is the same engine used in another model, a hot rod bike. This engine is really detuned.
Bike handles well, easy to grind pegs and more. At low speeds steering is heavy due to the huge tire.
All things said its not a bad bike just not my cup of tea.
My friend loves his and has racked up a ton of miles on it.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline tomp

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 04:32:56 PM »
Cholla,

For a BIG, Long wheelbase motorcycle, it actually handles quite well at parking lot speeds, up to highway speeds.  Put a windshield on it a bit ago, today, but won't get out for a ride until tomorrow.  You are correct in that it is RPM limited way too soon, around 4450 RPM.  It was designed to be short shifted and ridden in 4th in town or 5th on the highway. 

Very different than the C14, but after almost 50 riding years, and bikes from 50cc to almost 2000, I've learned to enjoy being on almost any size 2 wheeler.  A great weekend to all.  tp