Author Topic: 20,000 mile service coming up  (Read 5042 times)

Offline oldsmoboat

20,000 mile service coming up
« on: July 07, 2012, 01:51:53 PM »
2004, 20,000 mile service.

I imagine it's just a basic service but was wondering if there are any known issues I should ask them to double check for?

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: 20,000 mile service coming up
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:55:26 PM »
Are you taking this bike to a dealer? :yikes:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »
Are you taking this bike to a dealer? :yikes:
Heck yes, I am not about to touch the valves.

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »
Heck yes, I am not about to touch the valves.

It's a pain in the ass the first time, but really not that bad.  It's always good to know your bike.

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »
It's a pain in the ass the first time, but really not that bad.  It's always good to know your bike.
I don't have the patience and Murphy seems to follow me around.  I'd get started, drop something somewhere where it shouldn't be, lose something else, get pissed, kick the bike over and start drinking beer.  :D

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 02:07:52 PM »
I don't have the patience and Murphy seems to follow me around.  I'd get started, drop something somewhere where it shouldn't be, lose something else, get pissed, kick the bike over and start drinking beer.  :D

Fair enough.  If it weren't so damn expensive and if I could trust dealers not to **** up my bike, I wouldn't do it myself either.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »
You say "start drinking beer" like it's a bad thing. :loco: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
America's Seaplane City
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »
Sounds like your Connie is the perfect candidate for a tech session.  And you can still drink beer.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 10:01:57 PM »
Sounds like your Connie is the perfect candidate for a tech session.  And you can still drink beer.

Where are these tech sessions held?  I'd love to attend one if it was within reasonable range...

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »

Well, I hate to tell you but that's probably what will happen at the dealer, and you'll have to pay them for it.  Good luck.  ;)
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 10:50:38 PM »
Well, I hate to tell you but that's probably what will happen at the dealer, and you'll have to pay them for it.  Good luck.  ;)

+1 I've paid out the ass to get f*cked over too many times to take my bikes to a mechanic again. 

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 04:34:30 AM »
Where are these tech sessions held?  I'd love to attend one if it was within reasonable range...
Well...If you host one at your place, that would be in a reasonable range, and your pick of date/time as well.
America's Seaplane City

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 05:52:08 AM »
Well...If you host one at your place, that would be in a reasonable range, and your pick of date/time as well.

+1 :chugbeer:  That would be two tech days, one on the left side for oldsmoboat & one on the right side for V&P, unless they want to meet in Nebraska.  ;D  Not only will a tech day get that & more accomplished, it also works as a great greet-n-meet session of your fellow COGGERS.  This past April, Stasch(Stan Visser) hosted one at his home & we also grilled some burgers & brats turning it into a grillin' wrenchfest!  :thumbs:
 Anywho, yes, the valve adjustment LOOKS a little intimidating the first time, but is very straightforward & can be done without all those "special" tools don't forget. It's screw & locknut for the adjustments. I allowed 4-6 hrs. for the 1st time.
 Just be methodical, take pics & notes, that way you can also use that as a tool for future valve adjustments to see if/how they're wearing. Plus, you can inspect the camshafts for excessive pitting.
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »

Hey, as long as someone else will be providing most of the knowledge and some tools, why not?   ;D

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 08:47:28 AM »
Hey, as long as someone else will be providing most of the knowledge and some tools, why not?   ;D
There ya go. Grill up some brats, get some beans, chips, tater salad, and some sodas, yer all set. Pick a date that doesn't conflict with a "local" COG ride and post both here, and on the COG forum. Dunno iff'n yer in COG or not, but try getting in touch with a local aad for tips and for help in spreading the word. I know I wouldn't mind helping out a non-COG type person in this regard. You don't have to know it all, but try to invite someone who does. ;) ;)

It's all good. It's all about getting like minded folks together to help out, bench race, and tell other lies tall tales of grandeur. And, of course, eat, and maybe even get something accomplished. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Have fun.
America's Seaplane City

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »
There ya go. Grill up some brats, get some beans, chips, tater salad, and some sodas, yer all set. Pick a date that doesn't conflict with a "local" COG ride and post both here, and on the COG forum. Dunno iff'n yer in COG or not, but try getting in touch with a local aad for tips and for help in spreading the word. I know I wouldn't mind helping out a non-COG type person in this regard. You don't have to know it all, but try to invite someone who does. ;) ;)

It's all good. It's all about getting like minded folks together to help out, bench race, and tell other lies tall tales of grandeur. And, of course, eat, and maybe even get something accomplished. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Have fun.

Just joined the COG forum yesterday, actually, but I'm not a paying member or anything.  I'm completely busy until November, though... So this will have to happen only next year, unfortunately.  Besides, this weather would suck for a tech day anyway.  I'd rather be working on a bike in the fall than in this swamp heat.

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 12:31:27 PM »
You're better off doing the valve adjustment at home because at least you will KNOW they'll be cold. If it's ridden to someone else's place you'll have a long wait for the engine to cool down.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 05:40:25 PM »
Tech day, did you say Tech day ?
Well as long as you don't live in Ohio, you just might be able to pull one off.
Tech day, Wrench Session, good luck.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 08:29:18 PM »
Tech day, did you say Tech day ?
Well as long as you don't live in Ohio, you just might be able to pull one off.
Tech day, Wrench Session, good luck.
Ride safe all,
Greg

Southeast PA.