Author Topic: Help me choose a new pair of tour pants.  (Read 3491 times)

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Help me choose a new pair of tour pants.
« on: December 28, 2015, 05:26:33 AM »
Okay im in the market for a new pair of touring pants for 2016. My old All season slider pants that i was never really happy with to begin with are showing their age after their 4th season and maybe 30k miles in the saddle. And of course my requirements are impossible. I want 3 season pants(spring, summer, fall) also keeping in mind my bike puts of A LOT of heat, i can run mesh down to 50 deg with no liner. I want non removable water proof liner i get tired of all that crap. if im on the road and it starts to rain i would rather keep on trucking and be ready 100% of the time. I would like to keep to a textile and also want as much protection as i can get via heavier material and or padding. also keep in mind im a tall fat boy, I wear a 40 or 42 jean with at least a 34 or 35 inseam.

So ive been looking aroud and ive got some maybes on my radar id like to hear what ya'll running and or what you might recommend. My budget is around $225 but ill got up to $300 if its a smokin deal.
The A-stars AST-1 and the A-star Express are high on my radar, the AST-1 looks to be cooler weather pants but offer more protection and the Express is the exact opposite, less protection but more for warmer weather. Also looking really hard at the tourmaster overpant. I'll run a over pant with just dry fit shorts on underneath to be cooler as long it's not a plastic feeling inter layer.

Any and all comments welcome.....AND GO!!!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:09:44 AM by 2talltim »

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Re: Help me chose a new pair of tour pants.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 05:28:20 AM »
Pretty sure I posted this on the wrong area, feel free to move. I'm not used to the mobile site.

Offline Superzuki

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 06:15:25 AM »
Here's a place that makes pants to your spec's.

http://www.motoport.com/product/ultra-ii-stretch-pant/

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 06:18:57 AM »
That's not even close to my budget

sailor_chic

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 06:51:02 AM »
I'm in the market as well and I'm having a tough time deciding. I have bumped up my budget after a bunch of research. I now know that I don't want to buy a mediocre pair of nylon/poly pants that will melt into my skin on a sliding crash.
I was originally looking for a cheap pair of overpants, but now have escalated to wanting the best.

The link above for motoport is for there ultra 2 stretch pants and you stated that was out of your budget.  But look at what your getting.  1000 denier material, Kevlar infused, that will take the abrasion on sliding down a road. 
They also have a different pair that may fit your budget and offer great protection.

http://www.motoport.com/product/ultra-ii-cordura-pant/

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 07:43:17 AM »
I'm in the market as well and I'm having a tough time deciding.

I gave up in disgust since apparently the manufacturers don't make hemmable over-pants with adjustable knees.  So if you have extra short or extra long legs, you wear the knees on your shins or thighs.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

sailor_chic

Re: Help me choose a new pair of tour pants.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 08:11:04 AM »
Max, what about the Olympia pants? They hold there zippers 6" above the hem, so they can be shortened 

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 12:52:12 PM »
Somone either talk me into or out of the Aerostich Darien Pants

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »
This is a family oriented board.  No one here is going to talk you out of your pants.....while anyone is watching, anyway.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 02:06:13 PM »
This is a family oriented board.  No one here is going to talk you out of your pants.....while anyone is watching, anyway.
....unless you're at the dry cleaners...they like for you to drop your pants there.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 03:19:23 PM »
 :rotflmao: 5 stars!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »
Max, what about the Olympia pants? They hold there zippers 6" above the hem, so they can be shortened

I have been able to find those that are hemmable (although they seem to be rare) but if you can't move the knee armor (or not enough), then it will still sit below the knee, offering no protection.  I have yet to try ones with armor that can be relocated or is large enough to deal with a [roughly] 5" hem [based on a typical 32 inseam].  That said, this one (an Olympia, as you suggested):

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-motoquest-pants

does claim "3 tier adjustable knee armor positions."  Might work, hard to say.  But they don't seem suitable as overpants, since there is a solid waist and two reviewers say you can't step into them with boots.  Ug.... one day I will find something more suitable than silly leather chaps.  Thanks for the suggestion and I will keep my eyes open.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 06:05:17 PM »
I pulled the trigger, Areostich AD1 Pants have been ordered!!!

My size 44L were actually on sale for 22% off plus a extra 10% with their "stuff that fell off the sleigh sale" got them for $240 with shipping. SWEET!!! So for that price ill take the $15 gamble that i might have to send them back if I don't like them

http://www.aerostich.com/sale/rider-gear/darien-pants/ad1-pants-size-44l.html

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 10:38:20 PM »
KLIM, or Motoport for extreme hot
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 10:28:28 AM »
I never thought about getting any. For the most part here in San Antonio, they would be too hot. I don't usually ride far anyway. It's only 7 miles to work. I've even ridden in 27 degree temps with just my jeans.