Author Topic: First post and assessment of the Beast itself.  (Read 3535 times)

Offline cugsy

First post and assessment of the Beast itself.
« on: April 07, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »
Well, I'm here in dear old Blighty waiting for spring to make a move. It was still 1 centrigrade this morning when I went out.  I bought the 02 GTR 1000 a week ago with 20k on it. Its got the original exhaust and still looks good for 11 years.
 A few years ago I had a gpz 1000rx which is basically the same beast in different clothes with a chain. I dropped that - it died in a blaze of plastic.  The funny thing is the GTR has the same top heavy feel. But that could be down to the rear tyre squaring off. I took a trip of about 70 miles to a bike shop  and used it to see what the bike was like. Overall, I get the feeling its holding back when I open her up. Its too easy to be riding at illegal speeds just to get away from the buzzing. And although my  bum wasn't numb, there was a need to stretch my legs after only a few miles. Then theres the tired arms. Its a heavy bike and it needs moving ,especially in town at low speeds. 
   Its got some charms but also some niggles.  I realise that a lot of mods are available in the USA but I'm sure I can do something to make the Beast better.  I like it though ;D  It makes me grin when I go past the weekend warriors on their toys.  John
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: First post and assessment of the Beast itself.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 02:24:38 PM »
Not the first choice for getting milk at the corner store, but once you get out of town onto open roads, the Concours shines.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »
I don't call mine the "Blue Monster" for nothing.  It's a beast but I won't steal the moniker. 

The Blue Monster has a bunch of farkles that I've added to make it, in my opinion, rideable.  I liked it when I bought it, but with the farkles it seems like a completely different machine.  It would be hard for me to ride a stock C10 for very long.

Good luck with the Beast.  Let us know what we can do.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline cugsy

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 01:30:19 AM »
Thanks chaps. Its still on original brake lines and they make it feel a bit wooden when stopping. If I change them over I might as well allow for some risers for the bars.  I'm 6'2 and the screen is bloody noisy. That will need sorting.  Other than the need to move the footpegs so my knees don't creak all day I don't think there's much it needs.  Well, somewhere for the satnav...and a top box...er..assit!

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:14:36 AM »
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 09:26:06 AM »
Thanks chaps. Its still on original brake lines and they make it feel a bit wooden when stopping. If I change them over I might as well allow for some risers for the bars.  I'm 6'2 and the screen is bloody noisy. That will need sorting.  Other than the need to move the footpegs so my knees don't creak all day I don't think there's much it needs.  Well, somewhere for the satnav...and a top box...er..assit!

Something for the knees. I was skeptical but they do work.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_90&products_id=143
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »
Welcome aboard Cugsy.
I'm just down the road from you in Essex.
Was up your way at the weekend visiting a friends in Wymondham and then on to see my nephew in Cambridge.
Lots that can be done to make the GTR1000 better suit you.
Check out "Otto", my 1989 bike, on my website (planet symbol under my avatar)
Rifle base + 22" screen, Russell saddle, ZZR1200 shock, ThrottleMeister, topbox, etc.
Damned fine bikes the 1000s. Want to get mine back on the road this year but am having too much fun with the 1400  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline cugsy

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »
Cheers George. Nice to have a local ..  My other bike is a 93 DR 650 which I've had for over 4 years. It does me for most things and as I only work 5 miles away, getting the Beast out is not worth it. I'll save her for long trips and weekends.
  I like the idea of the ZZR rear shock - must be better. The one on the GTR now feels ok but soggy. Mind, I'm not too used to it yet and I might play with the settings.  I'm off to the Stafford show at the end of april if I get permission.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
There is a mod you can do to the OEM shock where you drain the oil out and replace it with thicker oil.
Murphs does a kit for it here which is cheaper than a new shock.
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_97&products_id=119
Oh, you do know about Murphs,... well I guess you do now.  ;D
Sells a whole load of stuff for the ZG1000.

I understand that the ZZR1400/1400GTR shock can be made to fit as well but I'm happy with the ZZR1200 one.

Getting some brake feel can be difficult. I tried braided lines and now have Nissin 4-pot calipers on mine and the feel still isn't stunning so it may be down to the master cylinder design. At least you have the 2-pot calipers on your 02. The original 86-93 calipers were not great.

You can make the bike handle better with a 110/80-ZR18 front tyre but she's a tourer so don't expect sportsbike flickability.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline cugsy

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 01:15:29 PM »
I've just ordered the tyres - 110 front BT45s and a 150 rear.  I'm holding off any major changes or improvements other than the necessary ones like tyres until I do a proper ride.  Then I'm itching to get the thing serviced. I need a good manual - I might buy the Clymer.  I want a top box but there doesn't seem to be much room to mount one though without some modding.
 Funny how people in the states will have a go at producing bits for bikes but not much in this country.  I imagine Murph posts overseas?  John

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 08:43:50 PM »
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc