Author Topic: Kipass Fob Troubles  (Read 9160 times)

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Kipass Fob Troubles
« on: August 15, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »
Long story short my wife sent on of my Kipass Fob through the washer and dryer. Well I opened it up and let it sit in a bowl of rice a couple of days then slapped a new battery in it and it worked. A couple weeks later I was using that fob and was getting a low transponder battery warning on the dash, then 2 days later it was dead. So I slapped a new battery in it again, and again 3 weeks later it was dead. Has anyone else had this problem? And to save me a search whats a new fob going to cost me, I always like to keep 2 working keys for every thing I own.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Re: Kipass Fob Troubles
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »
oh yea and when this happened I did get water on the inside, I know some of you say that they are water proof but I quess this one was not.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »
Long post short,

Got in the new KiPass thread first....

Brian

Long story short my wife sent on of my Kipass Fob through the washer and dryer. Well I opened it up and let it sit in a bowl of rice a couple of days then slapped a new battery in it and it worked. A couple weeks later I was using that fob and was getting a low transponder battery warning on the dash, then 2 days later it was dead. So I slapped a new battery in it again, and again 3 weeks later it was dead. Has anyone else had this problem? And to save me a search whats a new fob going to cost me, I always like to keep 2 working keys for every thing I own.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline pistole

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »
fob + small ziplock bag = peace of mind.

- i think that there is a short in the electronics resulting in a constant "seaching" condition. Hence the dead batteries in short succession.

- perhaps open it up again , and let it sit in the sun for a while

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
Is there contact points that may have corrosion build up?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 06:24:26 PM »
Good thing you have a spare, and I hope you kept the bag with the ID tag info I gave ya?  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 06:26:03 PM »
Two points for B.D.F. for being first responder in a KIPASS thread.

You may want to take it all apart again and let it mellow in the sun for awhile.  That's what I'm going to do next week.  You may have some water trapped somewhere.  Or you could find some bags of silica gel and put it in a jar with them for a week or so.

Good luck with that.  I've done the same thing but mine fully recovered.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 06:52:01 PM »
Is there contact points that may have corrosion build up?
Could be this a few of the terminals on the little chip on the board have some build up. I will try all of the above and let it mellow on the sun plus hit it will a tooth brush with some contact cleaner.
Worst case I keep it on the bike somewhere with out a battery in it and keep a battery in my wallet

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »
It will also work as a passive fob when placed against the ignition in the secret location.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »
It will also work as a passive fob when placed against the ignition in the secret location.
;D :lol:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 08:20:24 PM »
So where is my total now- at least 12 points ahead of Pokey, right?

;D

By the way, if anyone wants to know anything about washing his (or her?) fob, go to google.com and type in the following:

washed fob site:zggtr.org

Plenty of info. there and all of it on this site.

Brian

Two points for B.D.F. for being first responder in a KIPASS thread.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
Not sure where you think the 'secret location' is but the first post is correct regarding the passive side of the RF fob. Do not throw the misbehaving fob away because it will serve as a second, passive (RFID) fob and you do not want to have a C-14 with only one operating fob.

Brian

;D :lol:

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »
yes it still works as a passive, i did a trial

Offline Cuda

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 09:16:18 PM »
Open it up and ....
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104746

DEOXIT  get it at Radio Shack , can't hurt.

YOU better make time fo me
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 09:18:11 PM »
Then you can use the 'other' fob as your normal carry fob and save the damaged one for emergency RFID use (you should have two RF or full- function fobs that came with the bike). Whatever you do you will not want to be down to one fob and lose / damage that one or it will be time for a new KiPass ECU.

Brian

yes it still works as a passive, i did a trial

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 09:21:01 PM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 04:54:13 AM »
Open it up and ....
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104746

DEOXIT  get it at Radio Shack , can't hurt.

What Cuda said and see this thread for WAY more info.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=14156.msg173727#msg173727

And, hey. Don't blame your wife for you leaving the fob in the wash.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 08:31:53 AM »
Wondering if you could use Neverwet to waterproof a FOB:

http://youtu.be/DZrjXSsfxMQ

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 09:14:37 PM »
Worst case it was zapped in the dryer. No hope then.  Best case, it has some conductive contaminant from the city water. I would try to soak it overnight open in distilled water, then shake the excess and let it air dry. Do not blow-dry it. If possible ground yourself with a wrist strap or a length of wire attached to a faucet while handling it open. Good luck.
 :popcorn:
Im thinking the dryer was what got it too because when it got the water in it then basicly the dryer steamed the water, but it seems silly ro soak it again, ill try the cleaner option. Plus Ihave filtered well water not city water, not that its much difference.