Author Topic: Quick TPMS question.  (Read 10524 times)

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Quick TPMS question.
« on: October 27, 2014, 07:51:33 PM »
My front sensor had a low battery so im trying the change out the battery method. My new tire wont be here for a couple more days and im wondering if my battery switch worked so i fired up the bike on the stand and let the rear wheel spin a 10mph. I got the rear to read but the front still reads -- . Now what im assuming it is becuase it will not read 0 psi or ambient pressure, is this correct? I cant air up the old tire because i just cut a hole in it to get to the sensor. Just want to see if the battery was working, at least im not getting the low battery message now. Guess if this is the case ill have to wait for the new tire to arrive.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Re: Quick TPMS question.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »
Guess you could prove it out to see if any reading occurs if you spin the front. jack up the front, or weigh down the back,
and run a drill against the tire, the chuck should have enough friction to get the tire moving at a decent speed..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:52:45 PM »
Guess you could prove it out to see if any reading occurs if you spin the front. jack up the front, or weigh down the back,
and run a drill against the tire, the chuck should have enough friction to get the tire moving at a decent speed..

I did spin it but maybe i couldn't get it fast enough. Oh well I'll find out in a couple of days I guess. Worst case even if i didn't do it right at least i dont have to stare at that red light anymore. Until i spend the cash for a replacement.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »
At my last tire change I changed the battery on the front TPMS and it hasn't worked since. Haven't had time to pull the tire again to fix it. So next time I was thinking of making kind of a sling with the unit properly orientated and spinning it around. Was hoping if it worked that instead of -- it might show 0. Would like to know if it is working or not before mounting the tire.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »
Rip the damn things out, be a man and use a tire gauge to check your pressures!!!!!  :stirpot:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 10:08:38 AM »
Don't listen to the evil one..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 11:44:24 AM »
Yep, that test works and yep, it will read 0 (instead of ---) so you will KNOW it is working before installing. Nothing fancy needed through- just use a piece of string, tie it to the stem of the sensor and swing it around like a 1930's gangster movie star would. Works great.

This one time, at band camp, I changed the batteries on this gentleman's bike.... both sensors at once so I cleverly marked the sensors with an "F" and an "R". Slick, huh? Yep..... then I took the sensors apart and mixed up which internal parts (Easy Boys!) came from which sensor case. Yeah, maybe not so clever after all. :-)  So I did the string swing thingie and it worked great. Put the sensors back in the  bike, bid the gentleman good day and as soon as he was down the driveway I ran away as fast as I could. This leaves me pleasantly confident that his sensors both worked then as well as still.  :rotflmao:  But really, just swing the sensor around by the stem and it will work. It takes about 30 seconds to register with the bike though so be a bit patient.

Brian

At my last tire change I changed the battery on the front TPMS and it hasn't worked since. Haven't had time to pull the tire again to fix it. So next time I was thinking of making kind of a sling with the unit properly orientated and spinning it around. Was hoping if it worked that instead of -- it might show 0. Would like to know if it is working or not before mounting the tire.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 11:45:22 AM »
Shouldn't you be out twisting the ignition wires together on your new bike, kicking it alive and riding it?

;) ;D

Brian

Rip the damn things out, be a man and use a tire gauge to check your pressures!!!!!  :stirpot:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »
Yep, that test works and yep, it will read 0 (instead of ---) so you will KNOW it is working before installing. Nothing fancy needed through- just use a piece of string, tie it to the stem of the sensor and swing it around like a 1930's gangster movie star would. Works great.

This one time, at band camp, I changed the batteries on this gentleman's bike.... both sensors at once so I cleverly marked the sensors with an "F" and an "R". Slick, huh? Yep..... then I took the sensors apart and mixed up which internal parts (Easy Boys!) came from which sensor case. Yeah, maybe not so clever after all. :-)  So I did the string swing thingie and it worked great. Put the sensors back in the  bike, bid the gentleman good day and as soon as he was down the driveway I ran away as fast as I could. This leaves me pleasantly confident that his sensors both worked then as well as still.  :rotflmao:  But really, just swing the sensor around by the stem and it will work. It takes about 30 seconds to register with the bike though so be a bit patient.

Brian

Good to know, thanks once again Brian!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »
Shouldn't you be out twisting the ignition wires together on your new bike, kicking it alive and riding it?

;) ;D

Brian

Turn the key and thumb the starter, both my girls come to life!!!! I actually do like the functionality of tire pressure sensors, problem is when they are acting up or fail. I like the external monitor systems, I am actually throwing around the idea of going with that.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »
Yep, I hear that- I think the valve cap system (such as sold by Garmin for example) has real promise for motorcycles. External to the wheel, small and light and the system takes new batteries. With an inexpensive indicator to display the pressure, instead of a top of the line Garmin GPS, it could be a great farkle for lots of motorcycles I think.

Brian

Turn the key and thumb the starter, both my girls come to life!!!! I actually do like the functionality of tire pressure sensors, problem is when they are acting up or fail. I like the external monitor systems, I am actually throwing around the idea of going with that.

Offline clogan

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »
Anybody,know if Fred is still replacing the batteries for a buckertwo?
(Guess I could just PM him...)
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 04:03:08 PM »
Dunno, but it isn't that hard to do.  Worst part is getting the tire off..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »

Brian
IT WORKED!!! SWEET! Thanks for the string idea, spun it for about 2 min and sure enough 0psi popped up. Best $4 battery I've ever bought. I tried to do the rear tire in the spring but it was completly dead and looked like moisture had gotten into it, so it didnt work had to spent the cash on a replacement. I blame that evil guy that sold me this bike   :P. Now im just waiting for my tire, I'm 1000 miles short of 10,000 for the year so it needs to get here quick.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 04:11:08 PM »
^^^^^Yup what he said^^^^^.
I was needing a tire so i took a dremel cut a hole in it to access the sensor, then
 $4 battery, hex wrench to remove sensor, torx bit to pop it apart, exacto knife to release the old battery, and a few inches of packing tape to insulate and secure the new battery, i also wrapped i little bit of black tape around the outside to secrure it together better.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 06:26:03 PM »

After the non-event flat I got on the Concours, I am slowly adding TPMS to my other bikes.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 06:45:13 AM »

Got a me a No-Mar and that is no longer a problem. Helps that I found it used on this forum full loaded for half price.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »
Where have you guys been? You do not need to take the tire off the wheel, or the wheel off the bike to R&R the tire pressure sensors. Two cheap wood clamps, a few blocks of wood and do it right on the bike.

Brian

^^^^^Yup what he said^^^^^.
I was needing a tire so i took a dremel cut a hole in it to access the sensor, then
 $4 battery, hex wrench to remove sensor, torx bit to pop it apart, exacto knife to release the old battery, and a few inches of packing tape to insulate and secure the new battery, i also wrapped i little bit of black tape around the outside to secrure it together better.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 09:09:15 AM »
Wouldn't work with the wood clamps I had and since I was due for a tire change, I waited for that.  The guys I use locally took the tire off the rim for me initially, I changed the battery out in 30 minutes or so, and then finished up with a new tire.  Cost me 20 bucks with balancing.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 11:12:26 AM »
Where have you guys been? You do not need to take the tire off the wheel, or the wheel off the bike to R&R the tire pressure sensors. Two cheap wood clamps, a few blocks of wood and do it right on the bike.

Brian

ive done that before but since the tire was getting replaced anyway it took 60 seconds to just cut a hole, simpler and quicker for this time around