Author Topic: New Member From Hell(Illinois)  (Read 5945 times)

HiccaBurp

New Member From Hell(Illinois)
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:44:21 PM »
Hey all.  If everything goes as planned, I'm picking up a mint '12 C14 Black with 3,200 miles.  The bike is in VA, just need to figure out how to get it here.  I'll keep you posted and am excited.  Wanted a Connie since I first saw it at the Chicago MC show.

Btw, I will want cruise control.  Which is the best unit for the Connies?

Alex

Offline connie14boy

Re: New Member From Hell(Illinois)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 11:07:27 PM »
Welcome HiccaBurp from Hell. That bike is a stunner except for the rocket launcher/bazooka exhaust that these bikes come with IMO. I'm also supporter of the "black is beautiful" brigade. Take off the 021 Crapstones too, and get some decent Michelin PR's or equal. You will gain a lot of great advice from this forum- they have never steered me wrong yet. 

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 11:55:55 PM »
Welcome from NJ (hell 2.0). Congrats on your purchase! I would totally fly down to VA and ride it home. By the time you get home your butt will be broken in and you will definitely have some upgrades in mind (get the seat redone). I too have a '12 in black because it's damn sexy! As far as CC (cruise control) I can't help you as I have no experience with them yet. Someday I will afford one. You can search the forum for some posts about CC and I'm sure you'll find you answer! Have you ridden heavy bikes like this before? If not then I suggest some cages to protect this beauty! Everything connie14boy said is true. Get Michelin PR3's is what I suggest. You can mod your potato launcher to be lighter if you don't feel like paying for an exhaust. If you got some spare change for sound, then the Delkvic slip on is super cheap.
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 03:41:07 AM »
Welcome, from another inmate from ILL-inois.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 04:30:06 AM »
Welcome!  Want me to ride it out to you? ;)   Where in VA is it located?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 04:49:55 AM »
Welcome, from another inmate from ILL-inois.

+2  Welcome to hell from hell.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 07:04:38 AM »
Welcome to "The Forum" HiccaBurp. Would like to know...where did you acquire that name? :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »
Welcome to "The Forum" HiccaBurp. Would like to know...where did you acquire that name? :chugbeer:
It made the urban dictionary.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 07:58:06 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new bike. If it were summer I would say the only way to get the bike from VA to IL would be fly to VA and ride it home by the twistiest route you can find.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:07:24 PM by Rhino »

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 10:49:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new bike. If it were summer I would say the only way to get the bike from VA to IL would be fly to IL and ride it home by the twistiest route you can find.

Here here!
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 11:10:11 AM »
Not a good idea to do any serious twisties with an unridden C-14 and the the stock BT- 021 Crapstones- I speak with experience. The 021's get real spooky in the twisties when they get 3-4000 miles on them, and can give you some thrilling tank slappers- be sure to carry some extra skivvies.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 11:56:09 AM »
...the only way to get the bike from VA to IL would be fly to IL VA and ride it home by the twistiest route you can find.
FIFY  ;)

..anyway, congrats HiccaB' on the new to you bike. It was difficult for me to take the advice of so many about the
original tires but they are correct it's a must replacement to fully enjoy and especially to evaluate your new bike.

The muffler advice is more of a personal thing, if you like it sewing machine quiet then stick with the stock bazooka,
if not then V&H CS ones are nice and many like the Delkvic. I've stayed with stock as I think the silence makes the acceleration seem
even more powerful. I leave my bags on all the time, if I rode much without them and was worried about appearance then maybe I'd
have a V&H CS one. There is a weight difference for sure, but I'm not sure how much it can be felt on a 670+lb. bike, especially when
the weight is so low. Those who dislike the stock muffler (and there are many) do it with much fervor, I personally don't think it's
warranted, but to each their own.

I'm sure that there are some here that prefer others, but I think that for dollar value and performance the Rostra CC from Murph's
is your best bet for electronic cruise control, assuming you or a buddy have the skills needed to install it. 

As for your residential hell (aka ILLinois..) I feel your pain, I was there for too many years and moved to purgatory (aka Texas),
so escape is possible. Good Luck!

HiccaBurp

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »
Thanks for all the great replies and advice!  I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by.  Looks like my best option is to drive the 1,500 miles round trip to pick her up.  Thought about flying there and riding back, however, the weather is unpredictable and the daylight short.  Plus the plane ticket is more than the gas money. 

fartymarty, we are looking for a way out.  I'm hoping when we leave it'll be warmer and close to twisties :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »
i picked my c14 up in new jersey in feb.  flew into philly, rode it back to FL in snow flurries and 27 degrees.  would do it over again in a heart beat.

now i now about and have heated gear, that'd be like cheating compared to my original trip in race track 1 piece leathers looking like a crazed power ranger
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

HiccaBurp

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 05:32:55 PM »
i picked my c14 up in new jersey in feb.  flew into philly, rode it back to FL in snow flurries and 27 degrees.  would do it over again in a heart beat.

now i now about and have heated gear, that'd be like cheating compared to my original trip in race track 1 piece leathers looking like a crazed power ranger

About 7-8 years ago in early March I flew to NYC and rode the '03 V-Strom I purchased back to IL.  However, there was a huge snowstorm that just went thru the Midwest and on it's way to the East Coast.  I packed my Gerbings and gear in a duffle and wen ton my adventure.   When I left NYC, I was being pelted by ice, sleet and snow and it was about 27-30 degrees.  I decided to go around and make my way down to the Dragons Tail to meet a couple of friends.  It truly was an epic adventure/ride.  The nice thing about going to TN and then back up, the storm cleared and it was sunny and warmer on the way in.  The roads were mostly cleared but still some slush in areas.

I would do that again, however, I don't have my Gerbings nor half my gear.  I've toyed with the idea, but the plane tickets are pretty pricey :(

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 03:30:07 PM »
The good news is once you get it Wisconsin is only a nice day ride away!
Welcome in from another newby.
08B 73.5K miles