Author Topic: Lowering link removal?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline nate6512

Lowering link removal?
« on: June 02, 2020, 08:46:38 PM »
Looking to buy my first Concours. Talking with a guy about a 2008 and he mentioned that it has Muzzy's lowering links on it. I have an 18 year old daughter (adult size) that I want to ride with and I keep seeing things about lowering links and riders, etc.

So, a couple of questions for those of you that may be familiar. 1. Can I maybe adjust the links to be factory height? If I do that, will everything (including center stand) work as normal? 2. If the answer to '1' is 'no', is it easy to find the OEM links and put them back? I'll ask the seller tomorrow whether he might have the original links (I don't think he installed them). Not sure how hard it is to find the OEM stuff just to put things back?

Thank you for any help you may have.

Nate

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Lowering link removal?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 09:12:11 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline j_wahl91

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 10:48:25 PM »
I would suggest also to make sure that if the side or center stand was altered, since most people I come across tend to replace for adjustable stands when lowering a bike. I'll also look into availability on the stock parts and availability when I go in to work in the morning

Offline Gscott

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 04:58:32 AM »
If you are going to sell the lowering links I would consider buying them.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:38:24 AM »
If you are going to sell the lowering links I would consider buying them.

Me?  Sorry, I keep all original parts for anything I alter or anything I own such that it can be returned to stock on sale.  Have you contacted a dealer yet?  It should be an orderable part...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline nate6512

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 05:59:11 AM »
Thanks, everyone. I think I have enough to work on for now. I'll check w/ the seller whether he still has the original parts. Looking briefly online, it looks like the part is 39111-0038 if I had to buy it (them).

Thank you for the other information as well -- I can ask about the stands and also want to see if he knows whether the front was lowered as well (again, not sure if he did the work or if he bought it that way). Just wanting to know what I'm getting into.

Yeah, if I get it and put it back to stock, I'll consider letting the Muzzy's lowering links go.

Appreciate it again, everyone. Enjoy your day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 04:04:22 PM »
Thank you for the other information as well -- I can ask about the stands and also want to see if he knows whether the front was lowered as well (again, not sure if he did the work or if he bought it that way). Just wanting to know what I'm getting into.

I would always recommend one buying a used bike check *ALL* the suspension settings and reset them back to factory default.  You never know what someone did, if the settings are reasonable/safe, or even if both sides are equal.  The user manual will have those instructions.  As for lowering the front, that is easy to spot by how much the fork tube rises above the triple tree.   I don't have a stock photo, but attached is what mine looks like.  You can see there is considerable distance (the most that is safe) and it requires having risers installed to clear it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 04:09:27 PM »
I don't have a stock photo

Now I do.  See below.  Notice it is almost flush with the triple tree clamp.

Offline j_wahl91

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 06:13:34 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I think I have enough to work on for now. I'll check w/ the seller whether he still has the original parts. Looking briefly online, it looks like the part is 39111-0038 if I had to buy it (them).

Kawasaki is showing their warehouses having the stock links in.... stock. They are sending orders out a day after they get them, so depending on where you live, that'll effect shipping time to your dealership. You'll need two and they are priced at $30.76 each, assuming you're in the US. Given OEM pricing for parts, that's honestly not that bad compared to what I've seen lowering links go for (sold a set made by PSR today for a 2019 GSXR600, was $149 without install)

Oh, and that is the correct P/N that you found as well.

Offline nate6512

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 06:42:54 PM »
Thank you again. The pics are very helpful. Appreciate the suspension advice as well.

Considering the 2008 described here as well as a 2011. I'm sure there are many discussions here on pros/cons of the two (heat improvements, but linked brakes, etc).