Author Topic: 2005 concours flood damage  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Jjc331

2005 concours flood damage
« on: August 27, 2018, 06:37:28 PM »
Hi i just bought a 2005 concours with 1800 miles for $500!!! The motor was locked up and i was hoping it was just hydrolocked. When i got home and started tinkering with it i realized that it had been in a flood and needs a rebuild or new motor. Possibly the started and alternator. The exhaust pipes are completly rotted. The wiring is corroded also.I live in newyork state and im gonna need some good deals on parts and was hoping someone could maybe point in the right direction. Maybe there is a place that deals only in concours stuff. Thanks for you help.

Offline jettawreck

Re: 2005 concours flood damage
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 08:14:55 PM »
I would consider parting the current damaged one out (especially if the plastics and luggage are good) and buying another one.
Loved my 2005.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Jjc331

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 08:39:06 PM »
Now im seeing there are a lot of parts for sale cheap on ebay. Might even switch out to the ninja 1000 cams and carb and rebuild the engine

Offline BobCT

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »
Hi Jjc, I am looking for a frame with title if you decide to part it out.
Bob

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
Jjc, I don't want to sound negative, but it would be cheaper to part this bike out and buy another that is running.
      another option would be to buy a wrecked/running bike and make 1 from the 2.

Explanation: individually buying all the parts you need to replace already includes motor/wiring/exhaust.
                   Because of flood damage, (as a minimum) you'll probably also need wheel bearings, carb rebuild and possibly a rear gear box.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 03:46:36 PM »
Hi Jjc, I am looking for a frame with title if you decide to part it out.
Bob

I'm with you on that one... maybe, depending on if water sat inside any frame parts...

as to JJC....
I know it sounds like you got a great 'deal', but in reality, the luster of the $500 bike, as described by your posting, will result in no less than $2500 more worth of parts (at a minumum, and probably well over $3k in reality), a lot of cursing, a lot of time you will never get back, and a general 'double face palm' by you downstream when the reality strikes coldly.

I don't say this lightly, as I have purchased bikes for 'parts' that cost me $500... and ended up doing something silly like creating a one of a kind cool bike (COGZilla)...and it was a 'naked bike' buld...
but it was not without a LOT of time, and a LOT of money...(roughly $2k in good parts and paint) and I'm a value shopper, and pretty much expert on Concours mechanics, and the bike I bought, tho fugly, and wrecked, actually ran...and was never in a flood.

Cut your losses, sell it to BOB
and buy a running bike, especially if you have never delved into the intricate points of repairing a Concours.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Jjc331

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »
Considering this bikes low mileage(1800)and good condition of the rest of motorcycle it deserves to be reconditioned rather then parted out. There seems to be a few bikes already being parted out on ebay. The parts can actually be bought fairly inexpensively if you buy them used. Without spending anymore then $1500 invested this bike could be restored very nicely and easily. Here is the one pic i took of it.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 09:56:56 PM »
Considering this bikes low mileage(1800)and good condition of the rest of motorcycle it deserves to be reconditioned rather then parted out. ...

If (big if) it's 1,800 actual miles. I have two C-10's in my basement, both have rolled the odo. Logging over 100,000 miles on a Concours happens with regularity. Just saying.

And any C-10 part you buy (Ebay, scrap yard, private vendor) was made over 15 years ago and is being sold for a reason. Sometimes it's excess inventory, sometimes it's total junk.

The C-10 is a truly wonderful bike, ask anyone here that owns one! Prime examples now sell in the $2000 range, I (and many) see you spending that much getting your baby 'round the world non stop' road worthy.

We are here to help you source parts though, and we have a thousand years of experience to share. Don't hesitate to ask... ANYTHING!

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 07:53:09 AM »
Good point Rick.
 Jjc331, if you opt to go on with the project. We're here to answer your questions.
We're just concerned this will be a more expensive/difficult project than you might realize.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:15:28 AM by connie_rider »

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 09:23:18 PM »
   I would rather has a running C10 with a 100,00 miles on it than ANY C10 that has been in a flood!!! :(
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Jjc331

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 06:25:34 PM »
Instead of focusing the problems that could go wrong with this bike because of the flood damage there is another view that I think it is important. There is a very good chance that If I put some used parts on it to get it going again it could work out well and without investing too much money. This is a perfect excuse to put together a concours with ninja 1000 cams, carbs, and build a nice port and polished head and get the head milled as well. I was wondering though what are some good suspension upgrades. I was thinking about maybe putting some stiffer fork springs in ot to get it to handle better.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 07:13:53 PM »
Instead of focusing the problems that could go wrong with this bike because of the flood damage there is another view that I think it is important. There is a very good chance that If I put some used parts on it to get it going again it could work out well and without investing too much money. This is a perfect excuse to put together a concours with ninja 1000 cams, carbs, and build a nice port and polished head and get the head milled as well. I was wondering though what are some good suspension upgrades. I was thinking about maybe putting some stiffer fork springs in ot to get it to handle better.
SERIOUSLY.. read your post...   handle better? how does it handle right now?
you have a frozen bike, never rode it..
lets just dispell with the 'wetdreams', Ninja carbs , and Ninja cams, and "ported and polished" and 'milled'heads ...(You have no clue to how to extract horsepower from this bike..) are not gonna get you anywheres.. youre gonna need pistons, rings, boring, ( did you even pull the head off, to see what's inside???) rod bearing, transmission parts, just to start... Ninja cams? man...  simply put, the voices of us that have been thru this all, going nigh on 15 years, (on this 32 year old model...) when "we" began hotroddding the engine, can all say it's a pipe dream... ok? and SISF and I, along with others, actually had fully operational bikes as a start point..  making it simply a running bike will be enough of a challenge monetarily for you, and without it as an example of a "correct in every way" running Concours... well, I know I cannot disuade you, but man, don't be so bull headed. you have talked, and noted so many things you want to 'replace' with better, in these posts, and really have no idea of the probability of $$$$ you intend to dump, on a bike, that was locked up, rusted internally, bad harness, exhaust roached, and all of the invisible things we know, not just guess about, exist.

so the low mile bike, low mile chassis, low mile drive train, and wheels and everything right down to the steering head, and inside of the gas tank...and depending 'how deep it was sitting in water, and how long' are not really any 'deal' anymore.

best you rip things apart, and total up a simple "parts needed to make it a running Concours" very soon..

I'm really sorry, and I'm not just addressing "what could be wrong", I'm saying what IS wrong.. your view seems to be extremely 'optomi$tic", and in fact the only person being lead to believe any semblence of outcome, well. you decide.
I already noted spending $3k+ on a "totally customized nekid bike, sans fairings.. because I already owned a Conni.. my $500 parts bike made the big mistake of "starting" once I supplied fuel, and a battery... do I regret my venture... No. would I repeat it, or suggest someone else doing it... HELLNO.

oh, I'm the retired "tech Editor" for COG... so I know every part and it's price.
just tossin THAT OUT, again.

Carefully pull all the nice fairing and plastic parts off the bike...
contact Jettawreck, and sell them to him for the price you paid for the bike.. and toss the rest... you will be even then. I'm sure Jetta would actually give you $50 more, than you paid, just to get good plastic... as that all that I can say would be worth anything.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »
Must be a bit of misunderstanding as I no longer own a Concours for the last few years. Currently riding a Honda ST1300.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 07:56:25 PM »
I would consider parting the current damaged one out (especially if the plastics and luggage are good) and buying another one.
Loved my 2005.

I was just trying to say if it were mine (the OP's flood damaged 2005) I would part it out instead of trying to refurbish it into a rider.

Offline route66tc

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 09:10:53 AM »
https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcd/d/2005-kawasaki-concours-1000/6683269928.html
Just buy this and be done with it.  Keep what you already have for a parts bike.

I'll jump on the bandwagon of don't fix what you have.  All the reasons have been given.  Open your mind a bit.

Offline Jjc331

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 11:15:17 AM »
No im going to fix it. I wanted a project anyway something to work on over the winter. I have the skill set and the money to do it. I have a motorcycle lift too. Plus I was thinking about putting a nitrous kit on it. What is the largest shot you guys have seen someone pit on one of these wothout modifying the lower end.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.

Offline route66tc

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 01:48:22 PM »
http://pronitrous.com/nitrous-kits-systems/163-cold-fusion-nitrous-4-carb-motorcycle-40-300hp-w2lb-bottle-line-custom-race-kit.html

GO FOR IT... :chugbeer: :popcorn: :popcorn:
I'm in! :banana :banana
I even have a title for the build thread.  "The Project They Said DON'T DO!"  Great title!  When you get done you can tell everybody how the Concours crowd had no faith and tried like heck to get you to give up and part it out.  Everybody loves a good story like that!  I'm serious.  You need to make sure to post lots of pics (or links to an album), so we can all watch.  We need more entertainment!!  We're fixin to warm up that credit card with lots of great stuff!  I'm waiting on that new thread with the before pic!
LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN!

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »
No im going to fix it. I wanted a project anyway something to work on over the winter. I have the skill set and the money to do it. I have a motorcycle lift too. Plus I was thinking about putting a nitrous kit on it. What is the largest shot you guys have seen someone pit on one of these wothout modifying the lower end.

How about pics???  Nothing I would like better than to see a C10 resurrected!!
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Jjc331

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »
I love the enthusiasm. This is what im talking about. I can post some pics bit i dont know how to. Lol. Says the file is too big. Anyone have any insight? I tried to get an app to make them smaller but i couldnt get it to work.