Author Topic: Front rotor replacement with questions  (Read 7147 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Front rotor replacement with questions
« on: December 03, 2016, 12:02:22 PM »
So I have the front rotor off the wheel. I noticed red locktight which I don't have. Should I go buy some?

What torque spec should I use for the rotor bolts?

EDIT: For clarity, I'm going to summarize this thread in the first post.
1. That red goop on your OEM bolts is NOT, I repeat NOT red Loctite. Do NOT use red Loctite.
2. With your new rotors you should be buying new OEM bolts which comes with the red goop which is NOT red Loctite.
3. If you won't want to buy new bolts, then just use the old bolts with NO Loctite.
4. If you feel you must use Loctite, then buy blue and use it in this case.
5. Obviously, one thing not mentioned in this thread, but mentioned in others, is you must install new brake pads when swapping out your new rotors. Please don't forget that one.
6. Lastly, don't forget to seat your pads by making a few hot stops to heat up your pads.

Carry on.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:52:33 AM by MrPepsi »
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Front rotor replaceme WHICHnt questions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 12:49:57 PM »
Locktitght red says it requires heat to remove, but I didn't use heat to get them off.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 01:40:08 PM »
Too slow, already put everything back together. Used red locktight.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 01:44:37 PM »
No- that is not Loctite, it is a totally different product that is applied to the fastener by the manufacturer. The only way to get that same thread retainer is to do what it says to do in the manual- buy new screws for the rotor every time you take the old fasteners out. In other words, we are not supposed to re- use any fastener that has a thread locking agent on it from the factory.

OK, now onto the real world.... I just re- use all of those fasteners without any thread locking agent of any kind. If you really think that you have to use some type of thread locking material, I would suggest staying well away from Red Loctite as it is considered permanent and may prevent you from removing that fastener in the future without heating it, and heating the fastener means heating the wheel's hub to over 350F to be effective and that is going to be tough to do and hard on the wheel IMO. My rotors have been removed quite a few times and I am still using the OEM screws without any issue and I have never found them to have loosened from the last time I installed them. I do use a torque wrench to install them though 'cause I find myself tending to over- tighten these types of screws, especially when threaded into aluminum. That plus it is as easy to use the torque wrench ratchet as it is to use the [non torque wrench] ratchet to install them anyway.

Brian

So I have the front rotor off the wheel. I noticed red locktight which I don't have. Should I go buy some?

What torque spec should I use for the rotor bolts?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 01:45:20 PM »
Well, then I guess the joke's on us, huh?

:-)

Brian

Too slow, already put everything back together. Used red locktight.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 03:20:20 PM »
I'm so proud of myself. Still need to seat them on the test ride though.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 03:32:52 PM »
 :chugbeer: What pads are you using?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »
EBC sintered from Murph's
The rotors are OEM from ebay and seem to be unused as the listing stated.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »
Thanks. Let us know how they bed and how noisy they are.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 04:32:21 PM »
I would suggest staying well away from Red Loctite as it is considered permanent and may prevent you from removing that fastener in the future without heating it, and heating the fastener means heating the wheel's hub to over 350F to be effective and that is going to be tough to do and hard on the wheel IMO.
Brian

Ok just now seeing this. Not sure why it didn't mention needing some special fastener in the service manual.
Now that I've used Red, what now? Take it apart tonight and remove the red and switch to blue?
HELP!!!
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 04:59:58 PM »
So what are you saying- the joke is not on us after all?

:-)

You could try pulling those screws out and cleaning them off.... I cannot remember how fast red Loctite goes off but it is probably pretty close to set by now. You have nothing to lose by giving it a try though and if they do release, wipe all that Loctite off of them and reinstall would be my suggestion. You could use blue Loctite if you wanted to do so.

The factory OEM stuff is on the fasteners when you buy new ones.... which not many people do apparently.

Brian

Ok just now seeing this. Not sure why it didn't mention needing some special fastener in the service manual.
Now that I've used Red, what now? Take it apart tonight and remove the red and switch to blue?
HELP!!!

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 05:24:37 PM »
Ok, got all bolts out, going to try rubbing alcohol.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
Ok, going to try rubbing alcohol.

On what?!   :o   :D
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 06:11:41 PM »
On the locktite red.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Front rotor replacement with questions
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 06:36:45 PM »
Ok, I was able to clean the bolts, and the threads.
Put everything back together using blue.
I feel better now
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline seagiant

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 07:57:44 PM »
Hi,
        Next time you guys go to a Flea Market.

Look for one of the old big electric solder irons (200-300W)

Put that heated up on a bolt with any kind of locktite and it will come off!

Offline Fairfax

• 2009 Concours 14 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »
I feel better now
I replaced my rotors last month using non permanent locking agent (blue) per the service manual and using the same bolts since the manual does not say anything about new bolts. You did the right thing to clean the red and putting blue.

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 09:02:35 PM »
Well late to this.  Got lucky with some help from others. Doing valves, every kaw bolt with red on it just used blue loctite. You will be fine with that.  Being an amateur, I see locking agent I got to put something on.  A rookie. Nice job.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 07:24:33 AM »
Good- you will not have any trouble with blue Loctite. The permanent Loctites (both red and some green) can be amazingly 'grippy' and more than one fastener has been hacked into next week trying to remove it.

BTW- nothing wrong with using a mild thread locker on those screws but it is not needed, in that application nor in most others. And never, ever use any type of thread locker on any of the fasteners that hold the body panels on; most of them are brass inserts stuck in a plug of rubber and the Loctite will cause the entire rubber plug to turn with the bolts.

Brian

I feel better now

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
I do what Brian does.  Never had an issue.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.