Author Topic: Between a rock and a hard place  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Between a rock and a hard place
« on: June 10, 2018, 10:16:43 AM »
I will try to make a long story as short as possible.

Health, employment, and relationship issues have kept me from riding very much for an extended period of time. All of those things are relatively squared away now so I got back on the road. Now I find that the arthritis in my hands gets really painful after only about 2 hours of seat time. Riding tank to tank is currently out of the question. This situation must be remedied.

Are Helibars and cruise control the answer or am I going to have to get another bike with different ergonomics? I hate the thought of getting rid of my C14 with the only viable option being a Goldwing.

Adding weight and losing 50 HP is not a pleasant thought. Neither is becoming the "Old Guy on the Goldwing". Performance mods on a Wing are non-existent, just do-dads. The up side is that I would still be in the wind, but it is just not the same. Getting old sucks.

Any suggestions are surely welcome.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Between a rock and a hard place
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 10:40:30 AM »
I'm going to answer this with the expectation of being laughed at.....have you looked at Indian?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 10:50:02 AM »
Honestly, I'm not really feeling the V-Twin thing. If I were, Indian would be at the top of the list.

I'm really hoping that Helibars and cruise control on my Concours does the trick. I hate to think that the expended time, effort and money will all be for naught.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 10:59:40 AM »
For me, cruise control allowed me to ride long distances; without it, fatigue, hand numbness from vibration and the constant need to hold the throttle would become too much after a few (maybe several) hours. What CC did for me was allow each hand to take a rest, although not removed from each handgrip. But with CC I can lay one hand at a time over the handlebar without having to grip it, and switch the one that is being used as the 'grip' as often as needed.

Not looking to start a pi$$ing contest about how one should ride, what is safe, etc., etc., merely pointing out that the ability to [not] have to maintain a firm grip (Boys!) and using fine motor control of my right hand has allowed me to ride as far as I want to can.

I would assume the arthritis is your hands is greatly exasperated by having to hold onto the grips of the handlebars? If so, then CC might very well extend your ability to ride both at all, and for longer times when you do ride.

Brian

I will try to make a long story as short as possible.

Health, employment, and relationship issues have kept me from riding very much for an extended period of time. All of those things are relatively squared away now so I got back on the road. Now I find that the arthritis in my hands gets really painful after only about 2 hours of seat time. Riding tank to tank is currently out of the question. This situation must be remedied.

Are Helibars and cruise control the answer or am I going to have to get another bike with different ergonomics? I hate the thought of getting rid of my C14 with the only viable option being a Goldwing.

Adding weight and losing 50 HP is not a pleasant thought. Neither is becoming the "Old Guy on the Goldwing". Performance mods on a Wing are non-existent, just do-dads. The up side is that I would still be in the wind, but it is just not the same. Getting old sucks.

Any suggestions are surely welcome.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 11:09:39 AM »
You hit the nail right on the head, BDF. That is exactly what I am looking for. I haven't had a bike with cruise control for nearly 13 years, and I rarely used it on that one.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 11:16:24 AM »
My hand problems have never improved.  Nerve issues in my arms and wrists do make it difficult to ride long distances (more than a few hours).  I have the C14 set as "tolerable" with risers and Phil's wedges, and no cruise.  If my problems were worse, I would do exactly what you propose- Horizons and cruise.  It gets tiring shaking the feeling back into my right hand.  Cruise would allow some relief from that.  And positioning- well, that is a pot-shot.  The HUGE amount of adjustability with the Horizons could very well offer even more relief by allowing fine-tuning.

Me- I would probably stop riding completely if my choice were a 2 cylinder cruiser vs. something like the C14.  So I would jump on whatever ergonomic options were available.  Just my take...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 11:22:04 AM »
I had shoulder issues on the C14 among other complaints.   The Indian is so comfortable to ride.  Cruise control is phenomenal on that bike.  Course heated seats and grips are nice too.  I never thought that I would go for a v-twin but I'm totally loving it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 11:47:04 AM »
I put several hundred thousand miles on V-TWINs over the years, traded my last one for my Concours. Periodically I still get to ride the Indians and Harleys. And while they are nice, I have seriously grown accustomed to the performance of my current bike. I think I am pretty much done putting long distances on that type of bike. I still own 2 Harleys, I just don't ride them.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 11:55:29 AM »
Yeah, I hear you...not riding the C14 much at all these days.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 02:42:24 PM »
OK, then I believe you would find a CC beneficial. I know I cannot ride, say, 10 hours comfortably without it.

Just to continue the conversation a bit, I believe you have three choices:

1) a throttle lock. The easiest and usually least expensive to buy and install. NOT a true CC, they will still give the right hand a rest at least for a minute or two at a steady speed.
2) Rostra. Relatively inexpensive (> $200) but does require some skills and effort to install. Most 'mechanicy' people seem to be able to install one in a weekend. There are also a few people out there installing them for a fee, and the few I have seen are pretty reasonable IMO.
3) McCruise. Easier to install although certainly not what I would call 'easy' or 'no skill required'. Expensive at ~ $1,000 but by all reports, a high quality product that works very well, and the controls look very nice as compared to, say, the Rostra, which are a bit shoddy looking.

There is also the Audiovox vacuum system that <may> still be available but personally, I would recommend they not be used. As difficult to install as a Rostra and then some, they run on vacuum and have some attending problems because of it.

In my opinion, the C-14 is a great bike and more than worth the time, effort and cost to strap a CC onto. Even when figuring the cost of installing a CC, it beats the competition in value when all is done, again IMO of course.

Brian

You hit the nail right on the head, BDF. That is exactly what I am looking for. I haven't had a bike with cruise control for nearly 13 years, and I rarely used it on that one.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikebike

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 05:46:57 AM »
Get Steve's flash, no more buzzing in the throttle hand and the performance increase makes it feel like a new bike.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 05:52:53 AM »
i have bad arthritis in my right thumb from an old fracture and surgical repair. i use a simple throttle paddle on all four bikes. cramp buster or variation.
of course cc would be better but the paddle allows me to cruise without gripping the throttle. maybe a good first step for you.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 06:53:50 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Gents. I replied to a post yesterday about some Helibars for sale here on the forum, haven't heard back yet.

I am going to opt for the Rosta cruise control and one way or another, I will get Helibars.

I've been running 2 Cramp Busters on my bikes for the last 5 years or so, they helped for a while no longer help enough.

Brian has a Rosta unit and swears by cruise control, that's reason enough for me to go the same route.

I believe that less "twist" in the bars will make a positive difference. I have been contemplating that for a long time. I have the solution but at this point, my free time is at a premium and is better spent on other projects.

A lifetime of hardcore, blue collar, 10 hour days has caught up with me in a large way.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 07:17:43 AM »
Take a deep breath, step back and look into the future a bit. Then go buy the Goldwing and be happy and comfortable as you can continue to ride for much longer distance and years.
Pretty big investment to put cc and helibars on the C14 and possibly get limited (lasting) results.
.02 given.
I'm getting there also. Still riding my ST1300 but when occasionally riding two-up I find myself looking at Wings on Craigslist more and more. I know I'm not going to get any younger and more aches/pains surface every all too often.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 08:14:04 AM »
You’re right.  You are between a rock and a hard place.  I have the Horizons and they made a world of difference.  Still, though, my hands go numb (just not as bad as before and easier to relieve). The Horizons also helped to relieve my back pain tremendously.

I have a Throttlemeister and that helps a lot as well.  If you dial the tension just right, you can give your throttle hand some relief.  I find that just relaxing my grip, something the Horizons allow me to do with little back effort, takes the pressure off and gets circulation/feeling back immediately.  I haven’t tried to fine tune the Horizons, because they made such a huge difference after my initial set up. 

Even if you add cruise and Horizons, the bottom line is that the C14 is still a harsher ride than a Goldwing.  That takes a toll on you as well.  In my opinion, I would try the Horizons and install a CC/Throttle lock.  That will probably have the most immediate relief for the least amount of money.  It should give you more years on the C14 and if that’s not enough, there is no shame in riding a GW.  They are fantastic machines. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 08:25:53 AM »
Not just yet. I am definitely getting older but I am fighting it tooth and nail. I plan to do whatever I can to NOT take the leap backwards to a Goldwing. It will probably happen someday but not today.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »
Good luck with the bars, Dez.  I’m sure they’ll make a world of difference.  They are a little tough to install, mainly because of the hydraulic line extenders, but worth it. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 03:26:47 PM »
i have bad arthritis in my right thumb from an old fracture and surgical repair. i use a simple throttle paddle on all four bikes. cramp buster or variation.

I have tried one of those and for some reason it just scares the crap out of me.  I feel out of control.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 03:30:31 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Gents. I replied to a post yesterday about some Helibars for sale here on the forum, haven't heard back yet.

Horizons?  Helibars is just a company that makes lots of risers and accessories...

I am going to opt for the Rosta cruise control and one way or another

You are braver than I am :)  I would want it, but too chicken to try and install it myself.

I've been running 2 Cramp Busters on my bikes for the last 5 years or so, they helped for a while no longer help enough.

Did you have problems with accidental throttle activation using them?  Especially in a panic?

A lifetime of hardcore, blue collar, 10 hour days has caught up with me in a large way.

For me it is a lifetime of hardcore, white collar (computer/keyboard/mouse/phone/desk) crap.  So it can catch you in many different ways.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 03:33:40 PM »
Take a deep breath, step back and look into the future a bit. Then go buy the Goldwing and be happy and comfortable as you can continue to ride for much longer distance and years.

Stock, the Goldwing isn't necessarily going to be any better with bar ergonomics than the C14.  It will just have built-in cruise control and quite possibly some less vibration.  But I have also found that no only does the C14 not have much vibration, that doesn't seem to be anywhere near the problem of hand positioning.

Pretty big investment to put cc and helibars on the C14 and possibly get limited (lasting) results.

Horizons, presumably.

And it will cost a whole lot less than a Goldwing, especially if new (and taxes, and insurance, and, and).

I am not saying it is a better choice for everyone, but modifying an existing bike that you already own and like isn't a horrible choice... especially if it is just a few grand.