Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 672373 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1000 on: July 06, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
GF had a garage sale today which I had to help with. She made $185 and only eight hours of work.
 :-[
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1001 on: July 06, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
I hate it when Yoda dies.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1002 on: July 06, 2013, 09:05:20 PM »
Yoda died?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #1003 on: July 06, 2013, 10:17:53 PM »
Rot repair on the house again. Not a lot this year, but I hate it. Every year it's something. Last year was bad. Complete reno 6 years ago. Inside and out. Didn't stop it. Pacific Northwet.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1004 on: July 07, 2013, 12:02:32 AM »
When 600 years you become... oh forget it.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1005 on: July 07, 2013, 05:23:03 AM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1006 on: July 07, 2013, 07:26:31 AM »
I was sorting out some stuff in the basement archives when I came across my old slide rule  (Versalog Teledyne Post 44CA-600) that I used in tech school back in the fall/winter of '74.  It came complete with leather case.  Well, I decided to look up how to use it on the 'net and low and behold I was able to figure out how to multiply 2.3 x 3.4.  You can of course imagine my excitement as I went upstairs to impress my wife with my new found knowledge.  So I came in the bedroom and said 'Guess what this can do?  I can multiply 2.3 x 3.4!'  She looked at me and replied 'I thought you were going to measure something else.'  I had nothing after that....but a good laugh.  Not about the something else, but about the slide ruler itself.'   Let's be totally clear about that.

:rotflmao:

I remember learning how to use a slide rule. Just when I got it figured out, calculators started getting real cheap.   :o

"basement archives". I like that.   :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1007 on: July 07, 2013, 07:35:14 AM »
I was down there again this morning sorting things out.  'Found' some sort of test instrument my father purloined from his AF career.  Can't quite make out what it does, could be a pre-historic battery checker used in the 50's.  Found my old IBM test meter complete with case (no leads though, but does have the IBM logo on the front).  Found a Lansky knife sharpening kit (only used once....too much blood involved).  Found a Garcia-Mitchell 308 spinning reel I used as a teenager.   So many treasures, so little time.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1008 on: July 07, 2013, 07:46:39 AM »
I was down there again this morning sorting things out.  'Found' some sort of test instrument my father purloined from his AF career.  Can't quite make out what it does, could be a pre-historic battery checker used in the 50's.  Found my old IBM test meter complete with case (no leads though, but does have the IBM logo on the front).  Found a Lansky knife sharpening kit (only used once....too much blood involved).  Found a Garcia-Mitchell 308 spinning reel I used as a teenager.   So many treasures, so little time.

Most of my teen year treasures were thrown out by my mom after I joined the Army and my mom and dad moved. Don't worry, I found them again. My mom and dad, not my treasures.    ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1009 on: July 07, 2013, 12:04:28 PM »
So, Jim, whatcha doing with the Lansky?  Best system ever...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1010 on: July 08, 2013, 05:05:11 AM »
It was gathering dust in the archives.  Forgot I even had it.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #1011 on: July 13, 2013, 09:23:19 PM »
Water pressure went way down tonight. Walked up the street - main was broken and a crew was putting a clamp on it. Enough excitement.
Geeezzz...my life is boring!

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #1012 on: July 13, 2013, 10:44:22 PM »
A thread about nothing at all?   That's really something.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1013 on: July 13, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »
What is todays "Sum of Nothing"?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1014 on: July 14, 2013, 05:27:58 AM »
bho

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #1015 on: July 14, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »
I put the stock exhaust on the bike to ship it to Italy, after riding it for a bit and getting used to it, I reinstalled the V&H CS One today. Man what a difference, not annoyingly loud but it does have a nice deep, throaty growl to it.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1016 on: July 14, 2013, 10:33:27 AM »
Filled out a police form to stop my idiot in-laws from calling my house.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1017 on: July 14, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
The ubiquitous bar code is printed on just about everything these days. In fact, I don't think you could retail items without a bar code- how would one check the item out of the store?

The origins of the bar code system are interesting; they of course started off being used on the sides of railroad cars. Railroad cars? Yep, railroad cars. They were used in an automated system where rail cars carried a steel plate on each side, and on that plate were individual bands of specific colors and patterns. See here: http://www.nakina.net/other/aci/aci.html  The plates were scanned by an automated system as the cars passed, and the data collected. The system was in use as early as the 1960's, which actually predates the microprocessor, but was eventually discarded due to the difficulty in reading dirty, damaged or even missing bar codes.

As to modern bar codes on things like consumer products, well that started with Wrigley's chewing gum, the very first mass produced item to carry a modern bar code- back in 1974, long before there was anything in the way of automated scanning systems to read it.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1019 on: July 15, 2013, 04:44:51 AM »
My neighbor has been putting a new roof on his two story house, he does this for a living. He fell off the roof yesterday, from the second story to the first. I ended up having to call 911 for the ambulance. His wife and son (his son is a trained EMT first responder) were seeing to him on the roof of the first story. He seemed to be unconscious for a little while but came around and climbed down the ladder on his own. The EMTs were checking him out and he seemed to be ok, at first. Then he collapsed and they took him away on a backboard. I really hope that he's going to be ok.